Ozi explorer v Discover AUS

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 08:49
ThreadID: 22373 Views:2145 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am after some advice on the above?
What is the difference with the two products and is one better than the other?
My limited understanding is that Ozi Explorer is software that enables you to manage and use maps like Raster etc. where Discover Aus is a map in itself?
I am looking at a system whereby I can develop trips on my PC to then dump to my GPS (Magellan Meridian) conversly, download trips from my GPS back to my PC.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:08

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:08
Graham,

what you are wanting to achieve you can do so with OziExplorer. The advantage with OziExplorer is you can use many different kinds of digital maps (as well as scan your own paper maps and use them - once you calibrate them)

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 108200

Follow Up By: Graham - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:53

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:53
Thanks Sam,
I thought that may be the case.
Correct me if I'm wrong, if you use Discover Aus you are pretty much limited to that map only and it's limited detail.
FollowupID: 365013

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:11

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:11
Graham,

can't really comment on Discover Aus as I have never used it. But I am extremely happy with OziExplorer and what it can do.

cheers,
Sam.
FollowupID: 365015

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:52

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:52
Gday,,

I love and use both, ozi is great as it has more details in the mapping, and Discover has greater more detailed 4WD tracks, so when planning a trip I use ozi for the main part, then goto discover for the 4WD tracks.

So if you have both, use them in conjunction with each other. The other good point with Discover is what you see on your lappy, is what you see on your GPS.

Clive
FollowupID: 365019

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 14:56

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 14:56
DiscoverAus has the streets and tracks as its name would suggest, but no topographic detail. Oziexplorer will allow you to use any map you like if you scan it in, or the NatMap raster series and the Hema Maps which are designed for it. The other issue with DiscoverAus, as far as I can tell, is that it only works with a Magellan GPS. Ozi plus NatMap raster is cheaper than DiscoverAus. The Hema Grt Desert Tracks for DiscoverAus are very expensive compared with the standard version. I'd get Ozi first, then DiscoverAus later if you feel you need it.
AnswerID: 108253

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:17

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:17
Hi Graham,

I use both extensively for 4wding and geocaching.

The pros and cons as I find them are as follows:

DiscoverAUS
+ Good map detail.
Misunderstood by many users who don't realise detail is restricted to close zoom levels. This can be overcome by editing the config files though and instructions on how to do so are readily available.
+/- Only way to generate detail map files for Meridian. Therefore a necessity for a Meridian owner.
- Lack of topo information but this will be overcome by the release of the next generation of DiscoverAUS which will have topo mapping. According to press releases this will be out in May 2005. Can't wait to see it. There should be many improvements.
+ Good street, POI, reference search functions and databases. A little clumsy in implementation but works well. Also provides same search ability on maps on GPS once regions are downloaded.
- Compared with Ozi upload download time for track points and waypoints is slow. Don't know why when both are set to the same baud rate.

OziExplorer
- Requires greater understanding of product to use.
+ Once you understand it there's little you can't do with it.
+ Can use what ever maps you like. I have about 6 gig of maps on my laptop last I looked. Haven't found anywhere I want to go that I can't get maps for yet though some areas are better supported than others.
- Street/location searches have to have databases downloaded and set up.
+ You can edit or construct your own databases.
+ Can use scanned paper maps if you have a map you want to use.
- Can't upload detail maps to GPS
+ Variety of add ins for playing with - eg OziPhoto - a program that will synchronise your track file with your digital photos and create waypoints on your map that open photos when you mouse over them at the very location you took it (providing your camera is time sync'd to your GPS)
+ Great moving map software
+ OziCE available for PDA use.
+ Ozi3D for 3d mapping.

Pager just went off, that will have to do for now.

Dave
AnswerID: 108337

Reply By: Graham - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:13

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:13
Thanks everyone for your detailed feedback. It is much appreciated.
AnswerID: 108402

Sponsored Links