UHF radio will receive but not transmit

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:23
ThreadID: 22375 Views:53923 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Over the weekend i discovered that my GME TX3400 will receive but not transmit. When I key the handset the radio display shows that it is transmitting but no signal received by any other radios. Have checked that it isn't on duplex mode etc. The radio itself doesn't have a separate fuse for the transmit circuit, The antenna connections look ok. Can't find any info on this on the GME website or the internet in general.

Any suggestions on finding out whether this is a radio fault or an antenna fault?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Skinny- Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:25

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:25
Hi Drew, have found at times when I have had mike apart (microphone not peson) that I have had a bad connect when I reinstalled. Take mike off and refit tight, perhaps check connection clean. Not saying it is th eproblem, but good to try easy stuff first before assuming the worst.

Skinny
AnswerID: 108215

Follow Up By: DrewT - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:28

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:28
thanks skinny. I'm assuming the handset works since the radio displays "TX" whenever i key it
FollowupID: 365017

Follow Up By: Squire - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:16

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:16
DrewT,
It could still be the handset , I had a similar problem with my TX3000. Try it with a different handset (Beg, steal or borrow one, so you don't have to buy one if it's not the fault). There are four wires going into the handset, two for the TX key and two for the microphone pickup. I had a broken solder joint to the microphone, but the TX key still worked. Easy fit and now still going strong two years later.
Squire.
FollowupID: 365024

Reply By: Member - Troy - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:31

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:31
Drew,

Where abouts are you? I had a similar problem with mine over the weekend ... still trying to work out if it's rectified itself...

Troy
AnswerID: 108217

Follow Up By: DrewT - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:28

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:28
I'm over in Heidelberg. I'm taking it to Time Plus (Coburg) tomorrow as i'm pretty sure it's the radio itself that's faulty
FollowupID: 365036

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:20

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:20
What channel were you using?
Over what distance were you trying to transmit?
Where was your vehicle in relation to the other radios (terrain may effect your ability to Rx/Tx)?

Depending on the location and size of the antenna on the vehicle may effect your ability to TX in a particular direction eg.

A front bull bar mounted antenna produces a ground plane to the rear of the vehicle meaning you tx/rx better with radios behind you. Which is why when using a repeater you should orientate your self toward the repeater.

As you can see there are so many variables.

I would speak to whoever installed it.

Sounds as though you have an antenna problem.. You could get it all tested by a UHF installer and they should be able to tell you where the problem is. They can check the signal strength from the antenna, etc.

Although UHF is very simple (meaning you don't need a degree in antenna theory) vehicle radios can be fickle and you may have a problem you cannot see without test equipment.

I take it to an expert...........

Wizard
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 108221

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:44

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:44
You need to have 2 radios fairly close, on the same channel and on simplex. When you press your mic button can you hear a carrier or see any indication on the other radio ? No ? Radio or aerial problem, check aerial.
If you can hear an indication of signal on the other radio but can't hear any voice, try another microphone.
AnswerID: 108222

Reply By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:53

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:53
Hi Drew

My GME done the same thing,it turned out to be a fault with the radio.
returned it to GME at Oxley Brisbane and was repaired under warranty (2yrs)
I asked how much it would have cost and was told about $40.

regards ross
AnswerID: 108233

Follow Up By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:31

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:31
also forgot to mention when you went to transmit the radio signal said all was ok but when you release the mic button you didn't get any static that you normally get for that split second

regards ross
FollowupID: 365090

Reply By: mcgra - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:48

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:48
hi drew had the same problem when we was out during easter.
got back to camp opened up the mic and found a wire had come away.

got out the portable gas soldering iron and was fixed in 5 mins.

gra
AnswerID: 108307

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:58

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:58
Hi DrewT,

I have repaired a few of these, mainly 3200's but they are the same radio.

They are prone to dry/broken solder joints on the mic PTT switch. But usually with this problem you get intermittent transmitting.

Your's sounds like the PA stage has gone (power amp) though I have a 3200 that I have been unable to fix, thought it was the PA and replaced it ($45) but no joy. Now I have a spare PA and the radio is off being seen to by someone with access to circuit diagrams.

Even as a qualified comms tech searching for an unusual problem with out diagrams is like looking for Brown St Sydney without a map. You may find a few Brown St's in many hours of searching but you probably won't find the right one.

Doesn't sound like your mic is the problem if the TX indicator is coming up - unless the switch is not the fault but there is a broken wire to the mic or the mic insert has died. It's usually moving/mechanical joints or parts that fail in mics so this would be the less common of mic faults.

Get a quote though. Comms techs charge like wounded bulls - myself included.

Regards

Dave
AnswerID: 108332

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:42

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:42
Hi Drew, I had this exact problem twice , maybe the plug inside the remote head has come loose, from memory undo 2 screws on the back of the remote head & push in the small plug on the end of the cable.

Cheers
AnswerID: 108342

Reply By: Shawn - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:10

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:10
G'Day Drew,
I had exactly the same problem with my TX3400.
I actually thought it was the radio as it would work sometimes, then after corrigations it wouldn't, then after more corrigations it would work. (It worked when it wanted to).
Took the whole assembly into GME Gladesville yesterday and they tested in on the spot.
The radio itself was fine but the mic was faulty. GME replace the mic under warranty.
Tested it yesterday afternoon and it's all working great.
Cheers
Shawn
AnswerID: 108395

Reply By: DrewT - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:11

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:11
Hi all. thanks for all your feedback above.

since i still couldn't isolate the fault i put it into the repair shop yesterday. they finally tracked the problem down to a faulty antenna. i have a ground plane independent type and the coil had developed a small amount of play .. ie you could slightly twist the two parts that make up the coil assembly. new coil and it works perfectly again.
AnswerID: 108563

Reply By: Member - Rattles (VIC) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:42

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 21:42
Test only
AnswerID: 113094

Sponsored Links