Simpson Crossing

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:48
ThreadID: 22378 Views:1529 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just when I was feeling good about my upcoming trip someone threw a spanner in the works. I recently got in touch with MT Dare Homestead and they tell me the only way to go from MT Dare to Birdsville with a trailer is the Rig Road, a pity since I planned to go via the French Line. I suppose they are on the spot and one would assume they know what they are talking about. If anyone out there has information about this I would appreciate the "Heads Up"

Padre
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:56

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:56
The guy at Mt Dare is a great resource when travelling through the area however I found him a bit over the top when it came to giving advice about can do/can't do. We found best local reference point to be the ranger at Dalhousie.

Unless things have changed since last Sep/Oct you can take your trailer across the SD via the french line. (we did). However the french line trip might be in a straight line but is the toughest (so I'm told) the rig road is easier and some say even quicker. We averaged 15kph between the Western Rig Rd jct and Poepel Cnr.

Taking a trailer is not recomended - however so long as you have a good vehicle/trailer setup, have good experience/knowledge in sand driving and keep you tyre pressures low (20psi) you should be fine.

Again things might have changed so check with the ranger.

Gaz
AnswerID: 108234

Reply By: Padre - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 14:22

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 14:22
Thanks for the info Gary I will ring the ranger as soon as I get off the internet.

Keep Smilin
Padre
AnswerID: 108249

Sponsored Links