fuel prices(again)

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:36
ThreadID: 22394 Views:1871 Replies:12 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
just wondering with the price of fuel the way it is now and the way its going has it actually stopped any one doing what they were going to do any way.
eg weekend camp trip.sorry im not going now the price of fuel is to dear.
or do we just pay it any way.i know i just did.
cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: trendy - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:11

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:11
not me, am self employed and my prices increased to cope with it not long back (professional driver)But have had so much work recently it's the time that's holding me back
cheers trevor.
AnswerID: 108316

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:23

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:23
It has definitely put at least one of planned trips this year to bed.
AnswerID: 108320

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:40

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:40
Aw Brew ! tell the truth, c'mon fess up to all the nice readers - you haven't got that 'nic' for nothing, and by the time you factor in P O O T R O L ' S alleged exploding tyre and alternator, well there you go. ROFLMAO (Oops sorry about that)

And further, I respectfully recommend that you attend one of those 7,000,000,000,000,000 houses of God you have over there and seek 'guidance' my son, as to what is the best way to 'awaken' that trip and get it out of bed.

Regards

Your social concience

PS

If it was me I would just have SWMBO work more hours, and/or sell one of the kids.
FollowupID: 365091

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:25

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:25
Little choice Jim, whats the alternate "Sit at home and rot ?" I don't think so.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 108322

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:40

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:40
In the long run it will affect those who can't compensate for it. The average bloke with a morgage and two kids may become a rarity when it comes to outback tourism. Shorter more local trips instead of the Oz tour may become the norm.
Many outback towns survive on 4wd tourism and special events. It could certainly affect those.
On the brighter side, I hear that Toyota is due to show off a 4wd that uses very little fuel...some sort of proprietry fuel cell technology ? I'm sure others know more than I here...care to share ??
AnswerID: 108328

Reply By: Lyds - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:58

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:58
when you think about what you've spent on setting yourself up, the fuel will be the cheap bit... until you do the sums... or think about the days when diesel was the cost effective choice...
AnswerID: 108331

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:09

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:09
Hey! you people - snap out of the 'sads' its not all that bad.

I'm not admiting that I have a few years up, however I vividly recall this type of conversation arising big time when a certain group of nations for whom words just don't exist in the English language to describe adequately, but go under the label of O P E C decided that it was time they controlled the world by deliberately reducing oil production and raising prices.

Hell! you would have thought they had cut every motorists throat and the predictions of doom,gloom & disaster that emminated were just bizarre to say the least.

The V8 market disappeared for Ford Falcons. Persons of Trucksters stature were seen 'sardining' themselves into little 4cylinder things.

Caravans dissappeared off the road, Caravan parks and sales weren't too flash.

Crazies were attempting to invent the vehicle that runs on water, or solar etc etc.

Oil burning central heating was pushed over the edge by the 'flat earth society' people, Natural gas man! or wood was the go. Yeah! get one of those wood burning contraptions and pay the earth for the fuel.

However at the end of the day it all settled down, things moved on such as wages, prices etc., maybe not in sync , but we all moved on.

I can remember in 1981 LPG was 9c a litre and Super Petrol was 15c a litre for my Datsun Bluebird, and I thought it was absolutely outrageous. (still think 35c a litre for LPG is outrageous for that very same car).

What I am getting at is, yes it does S H I T one off being at the mercy of the world markets, however we all move on and adapt to new technologies or alternative ones to meet whatever situation it is.

That aforementioned little effort by O P E C had the long term effect off forcing Europe to adopt High Tech diesel technology and thats why now, a very large percentage of their domestic vehicles are diesel.

Maybe thats where we will head over the next few years.

Whatever, you have to find a postive in it somewhere or else you will need the 'pills'and plenty of them to survive.

Now! have a beer, pill etc , have a good one and look on the bright side of life. Also I look forward to seeing you all out and about.
AnswerID: 108354

Reply By: WDR - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:54

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:54
Toyota has juest released kluger version of prius poer pack in usa. i imagine it will be a very short time before you kave lc;s and the like running on dual fules (oil and battrey)
Apparently hydrogen fuel is the go and because they make it out of water there is no shortage (yet)
Don't expect it to be cheap though the network would need to replace the existing after running parralel for a few years like leadede and ulp
I don't know what is going to happen re diesel
May have to give up a few beers or cigs
AnswerID: 108359

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:30

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:30
It was my understanding that the production ao hydrogen from water was required alot of energy which is its hold back. Neccessity is the mother of all inventions I dont think we will see alternative fuel cars seriosly until oil starts running out or gets too expensive
FollowupID: 365119

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:08

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:08
Heard Honda were investigating hydrogen service stations in California using solar cells on the roof and a connection into the local water supply.
No hydrogen transport problems.
Just imagine stuck in the middle of no where with no fuel.
Get your solar cell out and a bit of water (filtered) from the local billabong :-).
FollowupID: 365284

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 00:02

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 00:02
I don't know anyone who is happy with the fuel prices. We are stuck with them unless the politicians change their taxation methods. We pay fuel parity and GST. Johnny Howard said that all other taxes will be removed when the GST was introduced. Fuel parity is another tax on fuel.

Before GST diesel was cheaper than petrol. Since then it has been dearer. Does anyone know the reason for this - diesel cost less to produce.

The only way the politicians will do anything about fuel prices is if it becomes an election issue. Then they will promise the world and after the election come up with an excuse to retain fuel parity and GST which keep the fuel prices inflated. The government is making a fortune in tax due to the rising fuel prices and whoever is in government they will want that tax money.

It is not just recreational 4WD owners who will suffer. The rising fuel prices will result in increased cost of production and transport of goods. Prices of food, etc will increase.

Despite the fuel prices I will continue to use my 4WD to go fishing, camping and on holidays. If I don't it would be pointless to own a 4WD.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108362

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:08

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:08
All of our many governments from the Feds. to the State and Territory are rubbing their collective hands together at the amount they can rip of us all by rising fuel prices. They may say in public that they know it's hurting the public, but they'll blame OPEC who in turn will say look at the levels of taxation on fuel!
Fuel probably costs very little more now to extract and refine than it did years ago but the billions going into the pockets of governments and the companies has changed enormously.
Just wait until this lot here decide to use fuel as even more of a cash cow than it already is by upping taxation to UK and Europe levels, you'll really have something to whinge about then.
We''ll also then see virtually all engines drop in size to EU levels with all the crap stuck on to further reduce their capacity to perform.
Alan H.
FollowupID: 365144

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:52

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:52
It has me.

We use approx $200 a week between our vehicles just in running around for work/kids etc. Finding that extra $50 - $100 just to go for a drive , at the current time , IS a bit hard to find.

So yes , unfortunately , whilst I just put fuel in and pay for it , for normal day to day stuff , anything extra , like going driving , is currently on hold.
AnswerID: 108403

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:54

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:54
Hi Jim,

just got to pay it really, otherwise we wouldnt' go anywhere, the only thing it's made Al think whether to put a diesel engine into his Landcruiser, he's now tossing up if it's worth it, or just leave it petrol...time will tell I guess.
AnswerID: 108405

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 19:39

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 19:39
You can guarantee it has stopped people, specially at $1.50+ a ltr in remote places.

But people will just wear it.. and it will go up and up like a grooms tossil on wedding night.
AnswerID: 108453

Reply By: pjd - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:35

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:35
just got back from a trip. deisel $1.19 In birdsville cheapest & $1.49 in mt dare was the dearest if you need fuel you pay 4 it if you dont want to pay 4 it stay home & look at photos of someone else's trip while you wait 4 the price to drop HA HA HA
AnswerID: 108474

Sponsored Links