Temporary HF aerial mounting

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:22
ThreadID: 22397 Views:3013 Replies:7 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I'm heading off to Alice Springs from Sydney for a 16 day trip at the end of May and have decided to install an HF radio and autotune aerial.
Unfortunately I can't get a rear wheel carrier fitted before the trip and am trying to find a temporary mounting for the rear of a Toyota 100 series. Electric Bug make one in Adelaide for $250 but insist that the rear hatch of 100 Series Cruiser's vary so much that each must be fitted locally.
Ideas for a tempory fitting for this short time would be appreciated.

MTIA, Barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:28

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:28
Barry
towbar
roof rack
roo bar
if no tow bar fitted a piece of flat steel bolted to where the tow bar mounts - any metal shop could knock up a flange for a few bucks
AnswerID: 108323

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:32

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:32
Sorry Bob, we posted almost the same advice at the same time. :)
FollowupID: 365080

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:31

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:31
Hi Barry, the mount would have to be substantial whatever you end up with.
If not towing anything it may be possible for your local steel fabrication shop to do a quick and dirty for the towbar. Not too hard or expensive.
AnswerID: 108324

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:37

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:37
Hi Barry,

All depends what type of antenna you are trying to mount really. Is it a tapped whip or an auto tune? If it's an auto tune what brand and model?

There are earthing issues with some of the autotunes that mounting them on the tow bar would probably preclude them from working. And if you don't have anti rattle clamp bolts on your tow bar sleeve the vibration would bugger an 8558 quicker than you could drive to your destination.

More info?

Dave
AnswerID: 108327

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:42

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:42
8558 ? Eeek ! Get a real aerial :))
FollowupID: 365083

Follow Up By: Member - Barry T (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:27

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:27
It's coming with a new NGT, so I guess a 9350 autotune unless there is a newer model.
Ideally I would be able to swing it to one side to drop the tailgate.
FollowupID: 365089

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:29

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:29
Gees Jim,

They aren't that bad, especially when they are in good nick and working. Pity you have to service it to find out what state it's in though - but I probably shouldn't remind you about that. Just mean more therapy and kleenex's. :o(((

Anyway, I have a real aerial. You should know that you only just shipped it to me with a 9323 a few weeks ago. I'll try and selcall you a few times from the CSR trip. We head off on Wednesday week.

Anyway, turns out it doesn't matter. Lucky Barry has a better radio than mine... but now you have two of what he's got. :o)))

Some people just have to redefine greedy.

Dave

PS I thought people only bashed 8558's on the Codan forum.
FollowupID: 365106

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:55

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:55
Hey Barry,

A few questions:

Where ru located?
Do you have a towbar?
If yes to towbar, what type?
When will you have aerial?
Have you seen the electric bug bracket?
If you have seen electric bug bracket what did It look like?
Do you have a roof rack fitted?
If so what type of roof rack?

Answers to these will enable me to probably help you?

Regards,

Stuart M
AnswerID: 108350

Follow Up By: Member - Barry T (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:50

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:50
Hi Stuart, I live in Ryde, NSW and will have the radio fitted by Lake Macquarie on May 7th. No towbar yet, I'm still building the vehicle up - toy by toy, :-)
I haven't seen the EB bracket but it was described as two metal bars which slipped over the top edge of the top tailgate door and had rubber bumpers which sat against the glass.
I have just fitted a roof rack but am concerned about the force on the 700 mm high aerial body. The roor rack is a three bar Rhino with an alloy tray on top. A temporary bumper bar mounted RWC would be good but is too expensive. I'm looking to buy the ARB RWC when available.
Many thanks for everyones responses, Barry
FollowupID: 365127

Follow Up By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:03

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:03
Barry,

I forgot to ask if you have a bullbar yet?

Stuart M
FollowupID: 365135

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:37

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 23:37
Now we know it's an autotune we can disgard any thought of mounting it on a roof rack. One moments lapse in concentration and a low entrance to van park, motel or maccas and you can kiss goodbye the side of your roof rack, their gutter and $1400 worth of autotune.

Stick to bull bar mount or rear of vehicle. There are legality issues with bull bar mounting autotunes but I've done it and have never been pulled up on it. I have seen them successfully mounted on saddled flat mounts on steel bull bars but you have to do the saddles up extremely tight so I wouldn't do it on an ally bar, and don't expect the powder coat on the steel bar to come away unscathed.

Given that this is temporary I'm not sure how much trouble I'd go to. End of may is a long time away. Work on a permanent solution.

Try joining the codan group on Yahoo and asking there. One post and I had a second hand mount for a mate's GQ for our CSR trip for $20 plus freight. (The high tensile threaded rod to fit it to the door cost more than double that.) All done in a week and a half.

There are many pics on the photos section of the group where you might find an idea for mounting it too.

Email codan_outback_radio-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and wait for a reply.

Regards

Dave
AnswerID: 108356

Reply By: Member - Landie - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 14:46

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 14:46
Mount it on the bullbar, especially since it is only temporary. If your vehicle is registered in NSW it should not be a problem in terms of compliance.

Regards
AnswerID: 108427

Follow Up By: Member - Barry T (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 16:15

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 16:15
I've been thinking about the bull bar as a temporary solution. The problem is the grief I got from the girlfriend about the UHF aerial being "in her way" on the 80 series, :-) The second is the cost of the installer running new cables to the back. Still might be the choice in the end.

Since I'm keen to get the ARB wheel carrier, I rang ARB and asked for the height of the HF bracket off the bumper bar (620mm). Thinking about the roof rack suggestion, perhaps I can make a Z bracket which comes down over the back at the same height. Then the cables will be reusable. Only issue is the swing away requirement to open the top gate.
FollowupID: 365181

Follow Up By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 17:07

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 17:07
Hi Again Barry,

I have been out all day and just got back to the office....anyway my suggestions would be as follows in order of preference:

1. Mount on the bullbar as a permanent solution and if you think the aerial will annoy your passenger then have a bracket made so the aerial lays down across the bullbar bar locked in that position when not in use. I prefer the front of the bar for transmission reasons as opposed to the tyre carrier at the rear.

2. Mount off the roof rack with bracket that lays the aerial down parralell with the rack when not in use. Similar to the above..... bracket wise.....locked in open and closed positions.

What brand bullbar do you have as I have a 100 series with all ARB gear and if you have same I can look at the design of a bracket and probably whip up for you depending on which option you choose.

Regards,

Stuart M.
FollowupID: 365188

Follow Up By: Member - Barry T (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:43

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:43
Hi Stuart,
Many thanks for your ideas. The bull bar is the ARB deluxe winch bar.
I'd like to have the aerial in a position where I can listen to the regular scheds, this is one of my main reasons for buying the HF radio.

I'm very interested in the roof rack option. Do you think the bracket will be strong enough to support the (9kg) autotune via the roof rack while driving ?

It would be great to have it operational for the whole Alice trip (height restrictions not withstanding).
I'm happy to lay it down or even disconnect it when I get back - pending the wheel carrier install.
Regards, Barry
FollowupID: 365203

Follow Up By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 19:59

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 19:59
Barry,

I was thinking more of the aerial locked in the flat position whilst driving whether its on the bullbar or rack. As you will probably be stationary when listening to scheds etc. seeing as they occur morning and evening.

I would have to consider the design of the bracket on the roof rack if you wanted it up whilst travelling and also the attachment to your rack to ensure its strong enough. The other thing we would have to consider is the finished height of the aerial when erected on the rack with whip.

I am also wondering......Why are you so against the bullbar option?

Stuart M

FollowupID: 365211

Follow Up By: Member - Barry T (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:02

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:02
Hi Stuart,
My long term preference is to have the aerial mounted on the back. It will cost $150 to cable it to the bull bar and another $275 to relocate it to the back. It would be great to wire it to the back and just remount it from the temp bracket to the RWC bracket, without any extra wiring costs. I'm hoping to enjoy the HF conversations of our colleagues while driving hence the desire to have a strong mount.
Sorry to appear ungrateful to everyone for the sensible bull bar idea - I may still have to go this way for the one trip.
Regards, Barry
FollowupID: 365229

Follow Up By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:14

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:14
Hey Barry,

Understand and No problems with mounting on the RWC.....now just got to figure out a good way of mounting on the rack or some other way on the rear of the vehicle until you get the RWC.

I will go and have a crawl over my rig and see what I can come up with.

Regards,

Stuart M.

FollowupID: 365236

Follow Up By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 22:41

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 22:41
Barry,

Been out with my toyo considering our options for mounting. If we were to mount it off the lower rear of the vehicle it would have to be clear of tail and indicators lights which means the aerial would need to be centre of the car when driving.

I also can't see how we can mount on the roof rack as the bracket would need more than one point of attachment other than the rack itself otherwise it will vibrate.

My thoughts are back to designing a suitable bracket from the lower rear area of the vehicle that can be swung open when required to open the tailgate. Which leads me to my question are you ever going to get a towbar? I ask this as manufacturing a swing away mount to fit the 40mm square reciever of the HR style towbar is far easier and more solid than anything else and less hassle.

Regards

Stuart M

FollowupID: 365252

Follow Up By: Member - Barry T (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:31

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:31
Hi Stuart,

There is a towbar built into the ARB RWC, still waiting for shipping dates.
I was looking under the back last night and thinking that only the indicator light would be partly blocked if it we brought a mount up from underneath and also from the top of the bumper where the mounting plate supports it. I wonder if I would get away with it for the duration of the trip. It's not as if the 100s lights are small ! :-)

Cheers, Barry
FollowupID: 365302

Follow Up By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 12:09

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 12:09
Barry,

The penny finally dropped.....I thought you were going for a add on RWC to the exitsing bumper not the complete replacment RWC for the whole rear assembly.

I hadn't suggested the bumper attachment because I didn't know if you were happy with drilling some mounting holes throught your existing bumper bar to acheive support on the existing bumper rails. Are you okay to do this?

Regards
Stuart M.
FollowupID: 365311

Follow Up By: Member - Barry T (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 14:38

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 14:38
Hi Stuart,
No problem, as the bumper bar is being replaced I'm happy to drill it like swiss cheese, :-)
BTW, my email is bthompson at au1 dot ibm dot com if that's easier.

Cheers, Barry
FollowupID: 365347

Reply By: ginga - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 17:56

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 17:56
Hi Barry T

ARB sell a bullbar with a HF mount - guess they may sell the mount separate?

Looks, from memory, as though the HF mount bolts onto the ARB steel bar. May be worth checking anyway.
AnswerID: 108441

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:43

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:43
There are several problems with bullbar mounted autotunes. They mainly fall into two catagories.
Legal. I know of several cases, one in Qld and one in Vic where the local boys in blue have taken a very dim view of bullbar mounting. I'm not sure of the absolute legalities but it would be wise to check in your state. I know WA doesnt like them there either.

Insurance. Someone walks in front of your vehicle to commit hari kari on your atu. Guess who will probably discard your claim without even blinking ? You could be sued for a LOT of money, and if the regs say only an aerial of X dia and yours is X+1 then you can bet you're on your own.

Me ? I love em on the bullbar as I can see the damm thing after the roadhouse lights go out or the tree branch was too low. Technically that position is usually a lot better. BUT I've gone to a bit of trouble to rear mount mine for the above reasons.
FollowupID: 365222

Follow Up By: Member - Landie - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:09

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:09
Hi Footlose.

Depends were your vehicle is registered. The Victorian rules are very clear and a HF antenna mounted on the bullbar does not meet the regulations.

In NSW the situation is not as clear, one thing is for certain - it is not illegal to have it mounted there. Therefore insurance won't be an issue for NSW registered vehicles.

I've researched this matter extensively and that is how it stands at present - of course that could change.
FollowupID: 365289

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:41

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:41
Landie, so what is the situation in the other states ? I have various reports but nothing set in concrete.
FollowupID: 365291

Follow Up By: Member - Landie - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:47

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:47
Hi Footloose

Have a look at a post I made sometime ago. Post ID 21820.

Regards
FollowupID: 365884

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:24

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:24
Thanks Landie but that only covers 2 states. I wonder if there are sites for the others ? Hmm...Google is my friend ?
FollowupID: 365915

Sponsored Links