Camel Cup

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:36
ThreadID: 22425 Views:1766 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody give us info about the Camel Cup in Alice Springs?
We want to know if it's a suitable outing for a family with primary aged children. We are looking to be in the vacinity around that date and would like to know if it's worth altering our itinery to include it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:44

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:44
Any festival or occasion means its hard to get reasonably priced accommodation there :))
AnswerID: 108476

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:47

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:47
Do you have access to www.Google.com.au

try http://www.alicesprings.nt.gov.au/tourism/events.asp

Camel Cup

Date: 09/07/05
Venue: Blatherskite Park
Tel: 08 8952 3040
Email: info@camelcup.com.au

If you're looking for a fun event not just for your family and friends, this is it. Not only do you get a good laugh just by watching the races (guaranteed that no two races are the same) you will also be entertained by fun and interaction between races, with lots of great local stalls.

Camels are not as they seem: the dedicated ships of the desert destined to serve their master. These magnificent beasts can not only spit over three metres, have been known to bite, snarl and generally prefer to do things at their own pace.

The riders are either heroes or crazy! The start of the race, with up to 15 camels, is confusing… some off in good stride, others grounded, some going backwards, it's a nightmare for riders and handlers, but great for spectators - a camel in full stride needs its rider to hang on for dear life!
AnswerID: 108477

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:00

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:00
I wouldn't plan on being there the whole day. We had our family there a couple of years ago and the kids had enough after a couple of hours. It's worth a look though. Make sure you are upwind of the track!
AnswerID: 108481

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:30

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:30
Camel Cup is a terrific day out .... apart from the camel racing, they have various food stalls and a fair bit of "crowd watching" entertainment. We (wife and I) loved our time there.

Interestingly, we were there they day before the Peter Falconio tragedy - so one is never too sure who one is rubbing shoulders with. Apparently he and his lady were there, as was the suspected shooter.

You will laugh all day.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108531

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 19:58

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 19:58
Try contacting these people: info@centreracing.com
Ask for "Craig" he is the man with all the answers re Camel racing. I will be going to the Todd Regatta this year..it is on "Craigs" birthday but I imagine he will be roped into rowing a boat.
AnswerID: 108661

Sponsored Links