Vic. Trip - Any interest in an overnighter??

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:55
ThreadID: 22431 Views:2021 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if any SE Victorian based EO people would be interested in an overnighter on the weekend of 28/29 May??

Was thinking of doing one last trip prior to the winter track closures in mid June:

Meeting at Mansfield BP early Saturday, head through Sheepyard Flat on Brocks Road via Upper Jamieson Hut, along Low Saddle Road / Mt Sunday Road, onto Mitchell's Track through Mitchell's Flat then onto Fry's Hut to camp the night and have a few beers around the fire. Next day head off to Mirimbah, then over the top of Mt. Stirling (need to go back and climb the right summit), then onto Craig's Hut for lunch (and to check out the progress of the works there) - then head off home from there after lunch on the Sunday.

The trip would be a good mix of easy to medium 4wd, with some low range stuff coming out of Mitchell's Flat (especially if wet). Trip would not be suitable for trailers I reckon.

Anyway, just gauging if there is any interest. Would love to meet some of the Vic EO guys that I haven't met and catch up again with those I have. I will be leaving the kids and wife behind for this one as there will be too much driving on day 1 for my youngest girl (1 yr old).

Like me, hopefully some others will want to get out for a last drive through there prior to winter - if there is interest in the trip I will post it up in the Trip/Gathering section of the site over the coming days.

Anyone???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:36

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:36
Hey Moggs

Sounds pretty cool, I will get back to you closer to the date but Kir and I should be able to make it

cheers

Crazie
AnswerID: 108508

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:46

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:46
could be a plan..

away the weekend before - maybe, depends how the foot is coping.. :-s
AnswerID: 108510

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:57

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:57
Yeah maybe in also, will sort it out a bit closer to the date.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 108515

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:16

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:16
Hi Moggs

sounds good and I would like to come along. I need to check if there is a scout camp same weekend that I am supposed to be at. Put it up as a trip - looks like enoough interest - and it will be easier to find.

Cheers
AnswerID: 108541

Reply By: Moggs - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:41

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:41
Ok, looks like there might be some interest. I will put it up as a trip when I get home from work tonight. Basically planning day 1 to be Trek 1 from the Boiling Billy - 4WD Treks of the High Country and day 2 the end of Trek 4 (in reverse) to Craig's Hut.

That's the plan, although if anyone has some suggestions re: route I am more than happy to incorporate them.

I would however like to get to Fry's for the Saturday night - top camping spot.

Anyway, I'll put it up tonight and hopefully we can get some people along :)
AnswerID: 108543

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 13:10

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 13:10
Last yr Frys was packed to crap on last weekend before closures...

We "suprisingly" found Kings Hut was MT the same weekend.. actually campin up at Craigs was good in the club trip I ran in November. but theres a thousand million places to camp up there. Shame theres nowhere along the Stirling Track to camp, now THAT WOULD ROCK!
FollowupID: 365324

Follow Up By: Moggs - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 13:32

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 13:32
Yeah, was thinking it will get packed on the last weekend before closing - June 11/12/13. Hopefully as we are going 2 weeks prior to this it should be ok. Also Fry's is a pretty big area - was there at Easter and again on the Anzac weekend and although there was plenty of people about there was still heaps of room.

I don't know about camping at Kings Hut - seems to be right on the track and last time I went through there when people were camping it seemed the got a decent dust shower with each passing vehicle - enough so that they had erected signs asking that people slow down. Also was a fat nude man sunbaking there - sort of ruined the place for me. I suppose for an overnighter it would be ok - but not sure if I would take the kids there for a weekender.

Agreed, re: the Stirling track - bit windy at the top though!
FollowupID: 365329

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 13:48

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 13:48
I know what you mean about the dust, but at night its not usually an issue.. There is actually an area about 50-100mtrs from kings back towards craigs, thats off to the side, that is a bit out of the way.

I thinik you find most people do crawl through the "hut" areas at most places up there.. most want photos, or to stop and look, or to see things, and with lots o kids around you cant floor it and light up them coopers. ;)

But your only basically there overnight so if it sucks home aint far away..

To get any good spot, or "get a hut", you have to camp early!

If Im solo will bring swag anyway!
FollowupID: 365333

Reply By: Moggs - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 20:51

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 20:51
Hi Guys,

Trip is posted up. Hopefully over the coming weeks we can get a few Vic EO people to commit.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 108853

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 22:41

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 22:41
Kerry,

Can't make it mate, I'll be on holiday elsewhere.

Thinking of a trip on the QB weekend. I'll send you a note.

Cheers,

Jim
AnswerID: 108877

Sponsored Links