Folding boat trailer

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 14:31
ThreadID: 22452 Views:22507 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are half way up the coast, and are carrying our tinnie on top of the camper. I NEED A TRAILER. I have bought some screw down wheels, that attach to the gunwales of the boat, but this does not allow me to drive to the ramp. There is, to my knowledge, 2 manufacturers. The bullgog, from WA, is $1500 - $1800 and is 67kg. The real ezy is $1300 and is a bit lighter.

Does anyone know of a lighter and cheaper portable trailer alternative ?? I we hoping about 30 kgs and under $1000. I only need to tow the boat down to the ramp, not tow it for miles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 15:02

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 15:02
G'day Peter,

Mate I understand your problem and have the solution!? Had the screwon numbers but these didn't work because the wheels were plastic and the legs had a habit of seperating from the chine when turning.

Replaced the plastic wheels with metal ones, bought a trolley from super cheap for $25 it had 2 metal wheels (with bearings) and a suitable axle. Cut off the old axle and replaced it with the new axle welded to a piece of square tube that slides onto the leg. Then used the same square tube to link the two legs (under the tinnie) by way of a couple of bolts and wing nuts. This gives the whole set up a very rigid feel about it. I can chuck this around without loosing it on the chine and without melting a wheel. This is a simple package for me as I don't expect to do any serious towing - just from the camping ground to the ramp (not on public roads too much)

Can make photos if interested.

Kind regards

AnswerID: 108605

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 20:45

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 20:45
I know just what you mean Peter.
The clamp-on wheels are useless on anything other than flat, hard surfaces and short distances only.

I Know of one....not much lighter, but certainly cheaper. (Actually I bought one)

The "Flip'n'Easy" folding boat trailer ways about 65 kg's and is made in QLD.
Cost is about $950.00 and I have found it excellent. Can be registered in all States.

I used to carry my Tinnie upside down on my off-road trailer which I could use to transport it down to the water.

Now, having bought a Camper Trailer, the transport-to-water option was out after setting up camp. So the "Flip-n-Easy" was justified and has proved a worthy solution. Folds out/Assembles to a full sized trailer and is fully galvanised. The only thing it doesn't have is suspension, using air pressure in tires to absorb vibration. Only need to have the trailer at the water's edge to retreive the Tinnie with the manual winch, outboard and all. Easy as......

I saw an advert some time ago in 4WD Monthly and rang the quoted phone number. The Proprieter was really helpful and provided me with a local agent where I could go and check it out before purchase.

I did originally like the "Little Bulldog" trailer but just couldn't justify the cost.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108676

Reply By: Robert from Real-Ezy Folding Boat Trailers - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:48

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:48
hi Peter
I have a trailer that might suit you , 58 kg total weight and under $1000 so drop in at my factory in Maclean. Look forward to seing you. Rob
AnswerID: 108715

Follow Up By: Member- Rox (WA) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 22:33

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 22:33
I might be interested in it for under a grand, your prices start from 13oo I think I just read.
FollowupID: 365621

Reply By: goodpal50 - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 16:55

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 16:55
I recently purchased a Dunbier fold up trailer for around $1150 when I was away and that included freight from Adelaide to Ceduna. They are made in Packenham in Victoria and any Dunbier dealer should be able to get you one. I too found it too much trouble to unload and load every time to/from the roof rack.

The trailer can be registered in any state, I believe.

The beauty of this trailer is that it can either be folded up into one "mass" or kept in four or five different bits so that you can spread the weight around. It has a total weight of 57 kg and I am going to further reduce that by cutting off the stubs for the axle that they leave on and you don't really need. That should reduce weight by another couple of kg.

Hope this helps

Mike
AnswerID: 108947

Reply By: Member - Peter J (VIC) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:01

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 12:01
Thanks guys for all the ideas. I ended up going to see Rob, from "RealEzy" trailers, in Maclean.

Rob went out of his way, to assist. He made up some custom brackets, to mount the unit to my camper. Good value too. Cheaper than the bulldog, but really well made.

I have had the unit for a week now, an am very impressed. It tows well, even with no suspension, (suspension models are available). It easily packs up (under 3 minutes to assemble or disassemble). It's also light and very strong.

I told Rob the whole set up was easy. "No mate," Rob replied, "REAL EASY"

Thanks for the help Rob. See you on the road.

PS I never got your message above, as I have since changed my email address DOH !!

AnswerID: 110985

Sponsored Links