Has anyone ever killed a snake?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:45
ThreadID: 22464 Views:3311 Replies:19 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I was thinking about this today. They're a protected species and have every right to go about their business peacefully and hunting them down is wrong, because in the main they keep away from us.

However, having said that, I've killed two. One that was hanging around our campsite about 24 years ago putting my girlfriend's (now wife's) life at risk and a second about 12 years ago that was in our yard putting the lives of my little boys at risk.

I've purposely driven around them when I have seen them basking on the road as I wish them no harm. But if they pose a threat to people, well, unfortunately they must go.

The theory that the only good snake is a dead snake is oh so wrong, but given the choice between a dead snake or a dead human, the choice in my eyes is simple.

Just my thoughts. What about the rest of you?

Cheers,

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 80scruiser - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:49

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:49
Yeah agree
We killed one up the Bridle track last weekend.
Damn thing came out of nowhere and slid under a tent. Couldn't find but when we did it lost its head mainly because there was about half a dozen kids under 6 around. Other than that it would still be alive today.
AnswerID: 108690

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:54

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:54
Oooohhhhhh Noooo.....Jimbo, what have you done.????

I'll tell you what you've done, mate.......

You've just stirred up all the raving do-gooders again, that's what!!!!! hahahahaha

I'll just sit back and watch the sheet hit the fan.

(BTW, for what it's worth, I have the same sentiments as you.....live and let live is my motto, but if it comes down to a choice;;;;;; well there's just no choice, eh??)

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 108692

Reply By: Kalahari - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:57

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:57
Jimbo
I agree with what you say.
During the floods of '74 in the channel country on a station called 'Durie' , a little way out of Birdsville, the station became an island with all manner of critters seeking refuge on that island.
Understandably there were a lot, and I mean a 'lot' of snakes. With not much cattle work to do, the station folks started to clean up some of the critters as they were posing a very great risk to the human population.

Now I stand to be corrected by anyone that worked on Durie at the time but I do believe they killed 84 in one day.
Of course when the floods receded and the need to get rid of the snakes had passed, they were allowed to move off on their own as they are apt to do, as you so rightly suggest. No doubt they prefer somewhere quiet and away from humans.

Personally I have nothing against them but if they pose a risk, then yes, I would remove the risk. other than that, live and let live I say.

Kalahari
AnswerID: 108694

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:58

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 21:58
Yup, an 6 foot Dugite that was getting too close to kids on the beach, another dugite in my back yard that was too close to me - that's the 4th in 30 years in my backyard and the only one that I killed.

The beach is about 100 meters away from my place.

The last was a King Brown up Meeka way. I was there first & it just wouldn't move outta my camp so after giving it 24 hours to vacate the premises, I shot it. 'Twere a big bugger too!!!

I try not to kill 'em but there's a limit to my patience.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 108695

Reply By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:07

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:07
Nature has put them on this earth to serve a purpose and providing they offer no harm to anyone, let them go on there way. Make lots of noise and they will like your presence less than we prefere theirs and head bush. Most people get bitten trying to kill them.
AnswerID: 108698

Reply By: Glenn D - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:08

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:08
How's it going Jimbo,

At Shark Bay last year my wife and I noticed some " tourists " with an SLR and large lens.....

These people were pulled over at the side of the track, after seeing them take photos at many tourist hotspots, we overtook them, only to realise we ran over the lizard they were photogaphing.............

An easy way to feel bad .

The bad looks we got later don't count!!!!!!!!!

Glenn
AnswerID: 108699

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:47

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 08:47
Now. That is funny.
FollowupID: 365501

Follow Up By: Member - Paul M (VIC) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 17:17

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 17:17
bloody hell,being a vietnam vet,when i read SLR and large lens i thought you were going to say they blasted the crap out of a snake with a rifle.
paul mal
FollowupID: 365560

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:19

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:19
Jimbo

I've killed a couple when I've run over them, didn't mean too...just couldn't avoid them, the last one I hit, was really narked, shot up in the air and was in strike pose and then the car behind me finished him off, I've not had to intentionally kill one though, I've encounted a few in old cemeteries but I let them get on their way...I reckon though I wouldn't worry about the protected bit if the kids were in danger

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 108703

Reply By: Member - Frank - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:27

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:27
This thred is looking a bit tame being an old fart I will take the opposit view noisy, enviromental unfrendly kids theres no comparison

what do you recon those greenies will give me a medal
AnswerID: 108704

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 00:45

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 00:45
I'm with you Frank. Which now begs the question - "Why don't they allow dogs in National Parks and some caravan parks and yet they allow noisy, screaming, ill mannered, foul mouthed kids???"

Bilbo
FollowupID: 365639

Reply By: snowman - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:34

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:34
Hi All,

In NSW you are legally allowed to kill snakes if you feel that you are in danger from it.

Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 108707

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 00:49

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 00:49
In Western Australia, as a consequence of a recent attack at Carlisle railway station by several (9?) indigenous kids ( one was 11 years old, the eldest was 16) on one student on his way home from Uni, including throwing him onto the railway line, the WA government is putting new legsislation before Parliament whereby we can kill the kids but keep the snakes.

Apparently, snakes do less harm to people.

Bilbo
FollowupID: 365641

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:34

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:34
Back in my courting days, I used to commute from Adelaide to Kingston S.E. to visit my girlfriend (now Wife) on the farm.

Well one day we were down the back of the property checking the rabbit traps when I nearly stepped on a Tiger snake lazing on a path through the bracken.
Having the trusty rifle in my mits you may well think I quickly dispatched this slithering serpent.
Pigs arze.......dropped the rifle, grabbed my girlie and ran lickerty split back to the Mini Moke, our trusty steed of the day, then headed back to the farmhouse where I spent the rest of the day consoling her:-)))
Returned gingerly the next day and picked up the rifle.......no sign of the snake...... instant relief from this gunga din.

Come to think of it, she didn't seem at all worried about the tiger snake.
Still haven't had the need to kill one yet.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108708

Follow Up By: BLUEBAG53 - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:04

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:04
The mind boggles at what your future missus would of done with a trusty rifle in her hands when she first spotted that trouser snake she was exposed to in the farmhouse on that fateful night ah Sandy!
FollowupID: 365478

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:18

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:18
hahahahaha I believe you were checking the rabbit traps.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 365529

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 16:38

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 16:38
Are well, if the truth be known she was a better shot with the rifle than me, having had more practice. (with the rifle that is)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 365555

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:35

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 22:35
diamond has... ask him for advise

you have never been apart of Whacking day?
AnswerID: 108709

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:35

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:35
i wont say how many , over the years, but i did use an environmentally friendly shovel for most, some got a strange case of lead poisoning. In all cases they were agressive and a risk to human health, if up the paddock and not hurting anyone i let em be..
AnswerID: 108728

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:54

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:54
jimbo jimbo jimbo.
your more of a man than most on here i must admit.
first you tell the truth about chain saws and ants nests if thats not enough now its the poor old snakes.
i thought you would have given up after your big admitance on the old smoke butt in the fire place but no you have to dig your self a deeper hole.
you will now be known as
osama jim laden.
dont know if i can talk to you any more.
lol
cheers
AnswerID: 108734

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 00:03

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 00:03
last trip we had one in the campsite that we couldnt get rid of, we banged and crashed around, trying to scare it on its way (while the kids sat on the cars roof), but it wouldn't go, so I had no choice and took its head off when it appeared again. hate doing it, but with 3 young kids around it wasn't worth the risk....I then covered the body in detergent and washed it in the creek.
AnswerID: 108737

Follow Up By: Member - Brad (NSW) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 01:41

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 01:41
I have to ask, what was with the detergent and washing it in the creek????
FollowupID: 365487

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:25

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:25
Gajm, didn't you like the sight of the blood? Is that why you washed it with detergent in the river? LOL.
Karen
FollowupID: 365507

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:25

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:25
your body or the snakes? I *have* to hear the reason for this ceremonial cleansing.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 365530

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 21:31

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 21:31
Sorry people, it was just a joke about the detergent, as stated there was a previous post mentioning it, and the person copped a hiding for it...I agree with the no detergent or soaps in water ways, but gees!
FollowupID: 365608

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 07:22

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 07:22
I think the detergent bit is a wind-up. A couple of days ago there was a thread about saving water on long trips and some-one was washing in a creek with a little detergent or something and everyone went ballistic at polluting the waterway.

Rus.
AnswerID: 108744

Reply By: Michael O'Reilly - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:09

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:09
I was up around McKillops Bridge a few years ago with a mad German truck driver. We ran over a large wriggler accidentally and he says "oh, we can eat him..."
Still remember him picking through the tiny bones in a campfire just near Little River Falls.
I stuck to the sausages...
AnswerID: 108766

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:26

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 10:26
I have heard they taste very much like chicken, put a bit of gravy on and you dont know the difference,,,,,,I wouldn't like to try it though.
Karen
FollowupID: 365508

Follow Up By: Wombat - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 11:06

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 11:06
100% correct Karen. They taste a lot like chicken with a little bit of pork thrown in for good measure. If you ever get the opportunity to dine on this luxury have a go. It's an experience, as is soup made from witchety grubs.
FollowupID: 365515

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 00:58

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 00:58
Saw a BIG King Brown chucked onto a hot barbecue plate once at the Desert Inn, Laverton,WA. It came out of this guys back pocket and hit the plate dead in the middle of the snags and chops!! Wriggled as lot as it got hot real quick - cleared the beer garden quick smart!! It was everywhere, with blokes 'n sheilas running up walls to get away from it.

Nobody twigged it was actually dead BEFORE it hit the plate!!

Bilbo
FollowupID: 365642

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:19

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:19
love snakes but dont have a problem with people killing them if the need arises. With the right gear they are dead simple to catch and relocate. Did a snake catching course for work and it is just a matter of putting the bag in front of them and touching their tail with a stick. They wont to get out of there and you provide the dark hole - simple
AnswerID: 108780

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:32

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:32
Jimbo, I have found that apart from not shortening batteries, swearing doesnt kill snakes either, it does however, forever scar the other 12 yo boy there who never in his life heard someone mention the word "arse". I saw three in 10' once riding my bike and apart from my feet being instantly higher then my head, and aforementioned swearing, left them alone.

We answered to a blood curdling shriek in the Flinders Ranges once however and after moving the car, (with 6 kids inside it) found the offending snake and dispatched it. As said above the risk was too large, mind you I didnt give it a chance to move away just knocked it on the head, and then popped it in the fire. It was a whopper too, near 18" long.................

We always were told to use a long handled shovel and kill them. Instinct won out.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 108781

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 21:19

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 21:19
I have a property and I was making some changes to underground poly pipe water lines. I put my hand down a 100mm pipe to turn a valve off and then decided to dig around the valve to replace it. As I was digging a young 18" tiger snake wriggled out. Clean underpants time. It's now an ex snake. We have a lot of Black snakes and they are a bit like Ostriches. Whenever they feel threatened they bury their head. I have worked around some 4 footers with their head under a leaf. Brown snakes - I have killed a few by mistake when cutting up logs. I accidently killed a small brown snake when I was brush cutting down a fence line. It stuck it's head up just as I was sweeping the brush cutter from side to side. Took it's head off cleanly. It is not true if you cut one in half you end up with two snakes, or is that worms. In anycase it's not true for both. You just end up with a dead snake (or worm). We have a Green tree snake that visits our fish pond regularly and makes meals of the frogs. Now I should report it because the frogs should be protected!

Richard
AnswerID: 108862

Reply By: Member - Steve & Paula - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 20:27

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 20:27
In all my years of camping I have never had the need to kill a snake until Easter just gone. We were camping on the inlaws farm in Albany (WA)with a group of friends, dogs and kids included. On the first morning the ladies were sitting up on a rock nearby with a coffee looking at the wonderful view when a tiger snake decided to check out the camp site scaring the hell out of one of the ladies. Dispatched him and reassured all present that whilst you can expect to find snakes on a farm that we were just unlucky (or the snake was). We all promtly forgot about it. Later that afternoon, my son set off to collect some firewood whe he spotted another tiger in almost exactly the same place. Dispatched number two.

One lady in our party was particulary afraid of snakes and hardly moved from her chair for the remaining four days.

I agree with most others. I have spent heaps of time on the farm and whilst you don't see snakes every day if they are out in the bush I tend to let them go. I only worry if they are sighted around the house (or camp). We camped at the same location for a week about two weeks later and didn't see another snake the whole time.

In my experience, dugites, brown snakes etc will generally get out of you way if they possibly can. Tiger snakes will do the same, but they are more aggressive and will have a go if they feel they can't escape or are surprised.
AnswerID: 109126

Sponsored Links