Satphones - Government Phone Subsidy Scheme

Submitted: Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 17:33
ThreadID: 22486 Views:2618 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
From previous posts it seems that the best option is to buy a second hand Motorola 9500 & use it with a Telstra GSM sim card with international roam (ie: no Telstra plan required). However not many second hand Motorola 9500s on ebay or trading post, & those that are available can be hexy (except the one in the trading post for $500 which is already sold!!)

How many folks have looked at buying a new satphone under the Government "Satellite Phone Subsidy Scheme" (www.dcita.gov.au/satphone). You have to be on a plan, but the subsidy can be from $1100-$1500max depending on the plan!! A new Motorola 9505A on a $30 Telstra/Iridium plan would be $895 after the subsidy (or $495 on any other plan greater than the $30 one). Similar arrangement with Globalstar (eg: Globalstar70 plan only requires $19.80 up front after the subsidy).

I suppose the advantage is that you get a new, latest model satphone

So my question is ... how many folks have applied for the subsidy & got it? (While it says you must "live, work, or operate a business in an area not served by mobile phone", I believe "travel" counts as "live"????

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 19:03

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 19:03
Hi Drew,

I haven't yet applied for the subsidy, but I will soon be...how successful I will be I have no idea. I am applying as I will be operating tag a long tours in remote areas in the near future. The business is already up and running, but no tours set up yet. It looks like you have done a fair bit of research already, and it was good to read your costs after the subsidy. Funny that Telstra plan still costs you more after subsidy than globalstar, but then I believe the Motorola to be the much better phone than the globalstar offerings. I know of at least one person here who received the subsidy, but he lives in a regional area of SA.

Cheers and I will watch this thread with interest.

Glenn
AnswerID: 108833

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 19:31

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 19:31
Have applied for, and received notification of subsidy, this week. In fact the supplier had rung a day or two before, to organize the sale!!

Live south of Winton, and close to 200 clicks from edge of nearest CDMA reception. Understand if you plan to, or do travel away from phone coverage, there's little drama in receiving the subsidy. Know that Willem received subsidy, but he bought a 2nd hand unit.

Plan to get Telstra unit, the Motorola 9500?, when we make the purchase.

Worth a try for you blokes,

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108838

Follow Up By: Pterosaur - Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 20:27

Friday, Apr 29, 2005 at 20:27
??? Does the subsidy still apply even for 2nd hand 'phones ?

thanks
FollowupID: 365603

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 06:21

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 06:21
Sub is only for new phones.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 365646

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 13:49

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 13:49
Yes sir, I spend 4 months a year in the bush. Very remote sir. NOW can I have a subsidy ? Yes I know I live on the coast but thats only my mailing address. What do I do ? Anything I want sir, I'm retired. *grins* NOW can I have the subsidy ?? Do I have proof of my 4 months in the bush ? Have a look under my vehicle...see that red dust there....Giles...there...Cape York...there.....Gibson Desert...NOW can I have the (&^(*&(*& subsidy ??
FollowupID: 365669

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 15:00

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 15:00
Footy,

The application form is available on the ACA website, asks you for your position and/or itinerary, so should be easy to get. Worth a look...

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 365672

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 15:31

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 15:31
Gday Drew,
My form is in the post now. Im 50/50 between satphone/HF. Ive submitted my form with an honest assessment of my time away, im not away 3 days a week or 4 months a year.
Im more curious than anything to see what happens.
Dean
AnswerID: 108937

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 01:38

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 01:38
Hi all,

Two things.

I applied based on 3 - 4 months of the year out of range of Terrestrial mobile coverage (CDMA/GSM) and as I get 10 weeks of leave a year plus days off I figured I could prove at least that if I had to.

I told them I provide medical support for tour groups and required it for emergency contact, which I do. About to do the Canning with a group of bikes leaving Wednesday.

I got knocked back. Not enough time away and subsidy directed at those living outside of coverage areas. They are clamping down apparently - too many fraudulent applications.

I bought a second hand 9500 for about $900 - be patient they come up. I tried the GSM sim card thing and released the results on the forums here. Not bad for emergency use at $3 a minute but you pay that to receive calls too.

I have now got a TR Telecom (Ringwood VIC ph. 03 98711200 or www.trtelecom.com) account which is $30 per month and same call charge as Telstra. No included calls but I can suspend the account to $15 a month when not in use. Activate and deactivate as often as I like (in business hrs) and no contract.

Bugger Telstra. They can go and take a long walk of a short pier...

You can send sms's to Iridium phones free from the iridium website too for those unaware of the service. 9500's can't send SMS but can receive them.

Only 3 sleeps to go - Port Augusta Wednesday night....

Dave
AnswerID: 109028

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 20:06

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 20:06
Ebay Satphone

If DrewT was a member I would have PM'd him.

Guess now he has to compete with the rest of you.

Dave
AnswerID: 109117

Follow Up By: DrewT - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 07:59

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 07:59
Good point ... i must join up!!
FollowupID: 365864

Sponsored Links