Using too much Fuel

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:13
ThreadID: 22499 Views:2048 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2002 Hilux 3ltr TD Dual Cab.My fuel consumption is at 13.5 ltrs per 100 klms on a highway run and less around town.I run Bridgestone Dueller A/T's 693's and have an ARB steel Bullbar.My concern is...is my fuel consumption too high...is my toyota ripping me off along with the Oil companies,or amy I just getting PARANOID.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: petamac - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:27

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:27
we have a 2003 model with snorkel and also found it a little heavy on fuel .I find keeping the air cleaner spotless or replacing it helps . also we seemed to get another 1o to 20 k per tank after we put the snokel on.
AnswerID: 108894

Follow Up By: Hun - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:33

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:33
Thanks for that...I also run a SAFARI snorkel and I havn't noticed any difference
FollowupID: 365649

Reply By: Aandy(WA) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:51

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:51
I think what you're finding is that the vehicle is not a great highway performer. After all they are basically a tradesman's vehicle and can't be faulted for load carrying around town but it's about as aerodynamic as a brick. Tough and reliable but not a highway cruiser! They're also very good for heavy 4wd work but the highway is not their favourite place. Something like the opposite to the TD Disco which is very economical (less than 10 l/100 on the highway) but not a great off road vehicle. It's still economical off road mind you but lacks performance and reliability.
Best option for highway use in Toyotas is the Prado. Friends get 10.3 l/100 from the TD and even the 4.0l petrol returned 11.3l/100 on a recent trip from Port Macquarie. The petrol uses substantially more around town and off road than the diesel mind you. Worst ever obtained from the folks with the TD is 12.5 after a lot of heavy work in the high country.
Time to trade up I think! Good luck!
AnswerID: 108896

Follow Up By: Hun - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 09:17

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 09:17
Your probably right Aandy. I do drive it like a Car and forget what it's actually designed for..Plan on keeping it though..It will always be cheaper than paying off a new one
FollowupID: 365652

Follow Up By: MEMBER - TONY (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 10:47

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 10:47
Andy how can you say the T/D disco is not a great offroad vehicle, dont you read any of the 4x4 mags, lacks performance and reliability, you have no idea !! I have done thousands of ks in one up in the high country and they will go anywhere, TDI discos and 110 have been sold all over the world and are driven every day in some of the most remote places on earth have a look at DISCOWEB.ORG and you might learn a lot about them, and have a more informed view on the subject. Tony
FollowupID: 365660

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 20:11

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 20:11
I'm absolutely amazed that you don't know their reputation Tony. Every person I've known to have one has complained about unreliability and very high service costs. Note I said every person and not even most people. They like the seats, the economy (Td only and definitely not the V8) and the image. They hated the high costs and the numerous faults. Perhaps you have a very old one. I know a bloke who had a 1976 Rangie and he kept it for a long time with few problems. He bought a 1996 and couldn't believe how bad it was. Sure they'll go all right in the high country but so will any 4wd. Try a long demanding expedition and you'll be disappointed I think.
FollowupID: 365711

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:39

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:39
I've got a 3.0L TD Surf (same engine as yours, but with an older ECU). Mines an auto and loaded up with roof rack and all our gear we are getting about 14L per 100km's on the highway with aircon on, big hills, overtaking and cruising at 115km/hr. When we overtake and on hills we have foot to the floor and almost red line on the tacho so that's where most of our consumption is. We are running 31's and also have a safari. I can tell you right now:
CHECK YOU SAFARI FOR A RESTRICTOR! Take the air ram off and look for a big metal washer, it will kill your fuel consumption and can cause overheating.
I've since learnt on the surf forum that the instructions SPECIFICALY SAY that the restrictor is for PETROL MODELS ONLY.
Thanks opposite lock midland for fitting the restrictor to my turbo diesel and giving me months of headaches...
If you are not loaded you should be getting less than what you are, however it depends on weight/load, tyres etc. I flog the life out of mine and am getting 14's so 13.5 is not toooooo bad, maybe if you have a restrictor and remove it you may get 12.5 instead.
AnswerID: 109224

Sponsored Links