hilux family car

Submitted: Monday, May 14, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 225 Views:1859 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
dual cab hilux as family car and some serious outback travel is the 3L the way to go or the turbo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stephen mills - Monday, May 14, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, May 14, 2001 at 00:00
If you are talking serious stuff- get a landcruiser diesel 4.2 no frills!
Also fantastic as a familt car and very economical- I have one! You may find the Hilux too light in the outback with a load. Use 205x16 or 7.50x16 tyres not those fatties that the Townies use!
steve
steve
AnswerID: 468

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00
Luke - I use a 3L dual cab for work (mineral exploration) - fitted with a 120 fuel tank (up to 900 - 1000km range highway if you’re lucky), snorkel (noisy!), winch and fibreglass canopy. They work fine. They do lack a bit of ground clearance, wheel articulation and power compared to a Landcruiser so they are not as good in the “serious stuff” - Just find a way round these “tough” spots (like most other people do – even in Landcruisers!). A Hilux will get you where you want to go. I have never driven a Turbo model but you can assume they would be better, particularly if you’re loaded up a bit and/or towing a trailer. Regards Greg
AnswerID: 488

Follow Up By: Luke Salzmann - Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00
thanks greg that was what i was hoping to here as they are a far bit cheaper than the turbo.In saying that though i have a trailer that i have been towing around oz so how do you think it will cope with towing and how much do you think the economy will suffer,thanks again LUke
FollowupID: 125

Reply By: Joe - Saturday, May 19, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, May 19, 2001 at 00:00
Luke,

I would suggest that you first look at the tradeoffs in using a Hilux as the family car, especially if your kids are more than ten years old. The back seat is really not big enough for teenagers or adults, plus of course the ute suspension is less than comfortable.

However, if you need the ute as a ute then either the 3 ltr or the turbo will work well for you. The turbo is more useful on the bitumen while the 3 ltr is better at the slow stuff. Which one you choose will probably depend upon the balance of road and off road tou need to do.

Good luck and enjoy it out there !
AnswerID: 511

Sponsored Links