Another good dealer story

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2251 Views:1662 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Like Jo and the leaf springs, I have a good luck story with a dealer to tell...

Too often you hear the bad stories about dealers/manufacturers.

I have a GQ Auto, and was having problems with massive viabration when it shifted into Top/overdrive.. Knowing that they are around $4000 to rebuild(was done just before I bought the car!), I was crying.

Took it to several Auto places they "ALL" said its the Torque Converter, quotes ranged from $800-1850! My heart sank.. They also said up to a week to do the job. Some said they needed to 'trick' up the auto as well, which may be a good thing, may not! Also might have been charged for, but not done, how can you tell inside a gearbox...

So I called one last place in Melbourne that was recommended to me by a bloke in my club(Nissan Club). K.B. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS in Enterprise Ave Berwick. They quoted $600 Drive in Drive out same day, AND they would drop me at work! Booked it in instantly.

Left the car there, and then the phone rings at 11am... Its KB Autos here, nerves kick in like never before, waiting for bad news... We have some NEWS for you.. My heart stops and leaves my body. We have taken off the pan and theres nothing in it but oil. Not knowing, I asked if that was good, he said outstanding! Theres nothing wrong with your torqure converter, or it would be full of stuff... A little WOOHOO action gaining the attention of half of the staff at Kenworth was heard.

Anyway, he suggested he would service the gearbox, and look for the problem, I said, I cant believe how honest he was as I had told him to change the Torque converter and expected to have to pay the $$...

Problem ended up being some adjustment for when it shifts into top gear. Nothing to do with the gearbox in that sense!!!

$180ish later I was driving home with T H E biggest smile on my face, and it drove so much better too.

So theres another good story.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00
Just gladdens the heart, don't it? :-) Melissa
AnswerID: 8022

Reply By: Beddo - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00
Coming back from Cape York I had sagged out suspension and went into Weipa, local 4WD shop on the southern end of town behind servo and near hardware, said he could fit air bags for $500 or I could just buy a heap of tennis balls - for $50 I went to Woolworth and bought 19 for each rear coil. I went to the shop and offerred cash to borrow his jack - he said no need and leant it to me. Wish all mechanics were so helpful.
AnswerID: 8028

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
Truckster .... what can one say but, WOW!!!

Beddo's tennis ball repair is a great piece of "bush mechanics" too!

AnswerID: 8040

Sponsored Links