Toyota Tacoma headlamp replacement

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 14:41
ThreadID: 22510 Views:1434 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,

I don't know if I am in the right forum. I am new to this place. I am trying to replace the headlamps i(whole thing, not just bulbs) n my 1999 Toyota Tacoma. Can anybody help me or direct me to a correct site?

I appreciate it.

Thanks, Dan (from California)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 19:07

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 19:07
Dan

"Cibie" make a replacement set as does "Narva". My 99 Hilux has single rectangle lights. 55/100 watt replacements. Just done mine 3 weeks ago. Big improvement, was told the Narva improves lighting and the Cibie improves a bit more than Narva.

Hope this is helpful

Andy
AnswerID: 108969

Reply By: db1999 - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 23:14

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 23:14
Thank you very much for the response, Andy. As I have already purchased replacement headlamps, my question is: HOW do I get the originals out? What are the steps to removing the headlamps? Toyota seems to have constructed an obstacle course for removing the headlamps. I emailed the vendor I purchased the headlamps from and they said they only sell the headlamps, they do not replace them, or have instructions for doing that.

I can remove the side marker/turn lamp assembly and see two nuts to remove on the outer portion of the headlamp. The inner fastener seems to be covered up by the grill and I cannot for the life of me figure out HOW to remove the grill. There are tricky little fasteners in there that look like they will break if you try to pry them out.

Does anybody know this secret? Again, I am ignorant whether I am in the correct forum. Perhaps this forum is for less technical issues than actual R&R of parts. Forgive me if I founder.

Thanks again, Dan
AnswerID: 109020

Reply By: db1999 - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 03:54

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 03:54
Thank you all. I have finally found instructions on the net. For those of you who may need to do this in the future, there are 8 clips on the front grill (5 top, 3 bottom) that have a small flap in back that needs to be pushed UP with a small flat blade screwdriver. The two at the bottom ends require a long (10" at least) blade, very narrow. Remove the clips from the body and return them to the grill for popping back in.

Once the grill and turn signal assemblies have been removed, one has access to all the screws for the headlamps. Do not forget to adjust the new lamps prior to driving so that you do not blind oncoming traffic or the person in front of you if you are one of those moronic tailgaters who actually believe that intimidation causes traffic to move faster instead of slowing down just to bleep off the tailgater (not that I would ever do that).
AnswerID: 109030

Sponsored Links