Winches on eBay - any good?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 17:39
ThreadID: 22517 Views:5226 Replies:5 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at getting a (electric) winch (and a decent bull bar to mount it on) for the Nissan Patrol. There are a number of regular sellers on eBay. Some don't state a brand, one line is "T Max" which i don't think has been mentioned before on this forum. Someone is selling one only "Mile Marker USA" new.

We pull a Bushtracker caravan so don't go $wd-ing for the sake of it (like my son does), but just in case we get into trouble, would like to have a winch.

any advice guys?

Thanks, Motherhen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 19:33

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 19:33
Buy a turfor....make a place for it in the back and forget about it till u need it.(if ever) it might be harder to get out of trouble, but at least you can from the rear or side...and at least if someone else wants help, you can hand it to them keeping your wheels on solid ground.
They dont fill with water, or go rusty, and not work when reqd, and you dont need more suspension to cart it round over the front diff, and it doesnt restrict air into the motor...
Cheaper too.
Andrew
AnswerID: 108975

Follow Up By: motherhen - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 23:16

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 23:16
Good points, thanks Dozer. I notice they are only for 2500 kg - would be a bit light for us. Also ARB advertise Magnum hand winch same specifications but much cheaper - they might be worth a look for anyone wanting a portable hand winch. Motherhen
FollowupID: 365735

Follow Up By: hoyks - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:36

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:36
The 2500kg rating is for lifting. They will pull a lot more than that as there is something like a 3:1 safety factor for lifting. A snatch block and you will double the pulling force and make it a lot easier on you. They are also a lot more versatile, I was once 3rd in a convoy and the first vehicle slid off the side of the road and half way down the embankment. He couldn't go backward with out risking a roll over so we hooked up the winch at about 45° and half pulled, to stop him sliding sideways, and half drove it back on to the road. The cable ended up close to 90° to the vehicle when it was back on firm ground. You would need a few snatch blocks or risk damaging the cable trying it with an electric winch.

I have a Big Haul hand winch and find it very handy. Defiantly a last resort weapon as pulling 3 ton by hand out of a bog is the best way to improve your driving skills off road. Hand winches are a great option, but not if you are in a hurry.
FollowupID: 365764

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 20:45

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 20:45
Dozer and Hoyks have provided the most sensible replies to the winch question I have heard for a while. Unless you are in competition, comercial application, elderly, in poor health or have toooo much money and just have to have EVERY accessory on your toy, electric winches are not only an expensive gimmick but also detrimental to both the handling and performance of your vehicle. Consider the cost against the actual time used just doesn't make sense. I have a hand winch for over 25 years and as I am a trainer I have used it hundreds of times in demos and quite a few times in anger. I don't even take it with me most times unless I know I am going to a specially difficult area. You have to cart that big heavy winch, bull bar, dual batteries with you everywhere you go. Let common sense prevail. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 366115

Follow Up By: Moggs - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:33

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:33
I don't necessarily agree with you there Rob. I used my Big Haul hand winch a couple of times and it damn near killed me - well, at least ruined the day. I am not an old bloke either. I reckon the 1,150 I spent on the Magnum is money well spent, especially if it gets me out of troble and to camp on time - meaning set up prior to the young kids witching hour. Even if it is used only ocassionally I will still appreciate it.

I think it is also a bit harsh to label winches a 'gimmick' Expensive yes, but gimmick no. They serve their purpose.
FollowupID: 366130

Follow Up By: motherhen - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:48

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:48
Yes, Rob, i appreciated Dozer's points, but, well my husband is getting old and has real back problems, and me? Younger, but not so strong either. When my huge hulk of a 20 something son shakes his head and says 'no way' to the hand winch, I believe him. Good idea, but not for us at this stage. Thanks for your input though. Motherhen
FollowupID: 366137

Follow Up By: hoyks - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:50

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:50
I don't think that they are a gimmick, but a lot of people have them that don't necessarily need them. I would like one but in the past 12 months I think I could have used it about 3 times. I got by with a snatch and used the hand winch twice
I don’t NEED one,........ but I would like one. :-)
FollowupID: 366138

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 10:05

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 10:05
Hey you guys, settle down or all the editors from the 4WD mags will be around here opening a can of whip-ass. That steady diet of advertising money from makers of winches, dual battery systems, winch bars, LR fuel tanks, big lifts, swampers, Hi lift Jacks etc etc could dry up!!
FollowupID: 366718

Reply By: 80scruiser - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 20:41

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 20:41
T Max, Ox electric, Brawn and I think a few others are all the same.
Brawn is better protected but all are of chinese origin and are pretty good.
I think the repco one is the same as well.
I have a brawn and very happy.
Good test results in the 4x4 testing a couple years back.
Go for it.
AnswerID: 108991

Reply By: Chaz - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 08:49

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 08:49
motherhen,
Mile Marker USA, T-Max and Ox are all very good and capable winches. The Ox winches are now sold in Aust. by TJM. I've heard that the Mile Markers are used by the US military on their Hummers, so they would have to be ok.
I have just bought a 9500lb T-Max on eBay for $1000, but havent fitted it yet. T-Max are a major tool manufacturing company in the US. They look like reasonable quallity as well and I hear that they are popular in the US. The only problem that I can see may be parts availability.
http://www.t-maxwinches.com/
http://www.milemarker.com/electric-winch.html
Personally I would prefer to have a Warn, but for $1000 less, I think any of the others would do the job, with infrequent use, and I too would wonder how many Warn parts are made in China also.
Chaz
AnswerID: 109037

Follow Up By: motherhen - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:17

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:17
Thanks Chaz - we are looking at a few on eBay, including the 3 brands you mentioned. My husband was keen to bid on a second hand Warn, but i thought that a bit risky to buy something sight unseen with no guarantee.

We will need to find a good bullbar first, and the aluminium one the nissan came with is not winch material, and the measurements would be critical.

Dozer made a good point about air intake - our patrol will need all the air it can get to pull the BT up a mountain, but with the patrol and a 3.5 t plus caravan, we would need something stronger than the hand winches.

Motherhen
FollowupID: 365760

Follow Up By: motherhen - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 16:18

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 16:18
Thanks also for the T max website - i hadn't found that one. I notice the specifications are different to those on eBay - eg 6.6 hp motors on the ones on T maxz website, and 5.5 hp motor on eBay - i wonder just how different they are?
FollowupID: 365782

Follow Up By: Chaz - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 16:43

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 16:43
Yes' I noticed that also, although they do a 6500lb with the 5.5hp motor. I would guess the motors are interchangable, and it could be had with the larger motor.
Also they don't list a 9500lb model. They look identicle to mine except mine doesn't have the sticker on the motor. There is one going on ebay for $900 in three days.
Good luck with your choice, because if you only want it for insurance, like me , you won't be dissapointed.
Chaz
http://members.bettanet.net.au/~conody/index.htm
FollowupID: 365784

Follow Up By: motherhen - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:48

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:48
Chaz, how much freight did you pay on yours? Was it by Aust Post or Courier? Did they offer you a warranty? I will ask all these before bidding to be sure. Motherhen
FollowupID: 365796

Follow Up By: Chaz - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 18:45

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 18:45
Mine came by courier, with a hefty $80 delivery fee, $920 for the winch with a snatch block.
Not sure, but I think they do have a return policy. I guess as with most auctions, you pay for what you get and there is some risk involved, although at a much reduced price.
Chaz
FollowupID: 365803

Follow Up By: motherhen - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 00:09

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 00:09
I have sent questions to eBay vendor - was it the same guy you got yours from? I take it the snatch block was an extra. What type of bulbar do you have to mount it on?
Motherhen
FollowupID: 365856

Follow Up By: motherhen - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:44

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:44
The T max guy has starting bid $900, will include snatch block extra $40, freight $150.

I have also noticed Acme winches on eBay (acmewinch.com.au). $880 for the 9500 on their website. Same weight as the T max.

Have found a 2nd hand bull bar so hope to get that later in the week (quite some way to travel to get it).
FollowupID: 365889

Follow Up By: Chaz - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 12:58

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 12:58
motherhen,
Yes, I think it is the same guy, because the other guy is much dearer. It looks like the freight is the killer. I have a genuine Nissan steel bar, that has all the mounting points already fitted. Mine was included with the snatch block for $920, but I still think that $40 for a snatch block is good value. ARB is around $85.
Good Luck,
Chaz
FollowupID: 365908

Follow Up By: motherhen - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 00:23

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 00:23
Chaz, looking through websites, i see there are various different snatch blocks - was the one you got with your winch a decent one? Motherhen
FollowupID: 366000

Follow Up By: Chaz - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:12

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:12
Motherhen,
Sorry, I'm not really much help to you here. The one that I have looks ok and I'm pretty sure it would be up to the task, but I've never really looked closely at another one to compare it to. When I get a chance I'll go into ARB and check one of there's out, but this is certainly a robust unit, and I'm sure it would do the trick.
Chaz
FollowupID: 366025

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:52

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:52
Why would you risk something cheap and nasty when its a serious bit of kit?

If you are lookin bargain, you can get a Warn 10,000 for $1000 out of trading post - I did.
Go with a quality brand, for something that if it fails your in crap, its worth spending a few more bucks
AnswerID: 109194

Follow Up By: Chaz - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:23

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:23
Truckster,
Surely you didn't pay that for a new one, so chances are that you don't know what it's done or where it's been.
I guess we all don't think alike, but I would agree with you if I could see the value in a Warn, but I cant. In many cases, you could be paying alot of good money for a good name that the product has earnt itself over the years.
Not all things that are cheep, are rubbish. If I thought that way, I'd wouldn't be driving a Patrol.
Chaz
FollowupID: 365914

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:41

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:41
Out of the trading post is never new is it?

I'd rather a second hand warn to a new woo flug dung anyday. even if you have to get it serviced.
FollowupID: 365918

Follow Up By: motherhen - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:57

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:57
Hi Truckster - have you ever heard of a Chinese one failing from the start? We looked at 2nd hand Warn on eBay, but too risky buying unseen and with no warranty - rather a new one. T-max seem to have quite a good reputation. We want something that will work if we need it - we won't be looking for spots to use it (i leave that to my 4wd enthusiast son). Well, we all agree on something - we drive Patrols! Motherhen
FollowupID: 365989

Follow Up By: Moggs - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:46

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:46
Why not buy a Magnum 9k winch brand new from ARB for $1,150 (if you push them on price). At least you will have ARB standing behind the product if you have any issues with it. I have one and it seems ok. I actually haven't heard any bad reports about them. As far as I know they are an older Warn model (all parts are Warn spare listed parts). Just a thought.....
FollowupID: 366028

Follow Up By: Moggs - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:46

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:46
Actually, I think they are now named Tabor (the new batch ARB are stocking).
FollowupID: 366029

Follow Up By: motherhen - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:53

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:53
Thanks Moggs - yes, it looks like Warn are now distributing the former Magnum winches under the budget line Tabor. I agree should be good if ARB put there reputation on it.

I also noticed last night that 4wdsystems (goannaware) advertise Superwinch - appears to be USA made, but is heavier than the others. Have one on special in a package with diff locks.

Everyone's thoughts and experience much appreciated. Thanks guys

Motherhen
FollowupID: 366030

Follow Up By: Moggs - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:00

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:00
I have 'explored' buying stuff from 4wdsystems in the past for my Pathy and was less than impressed with their service / interest / general manner of dealing with my enquiry - so much so that I went elsewhere. So, I might not be qualified to say this as I have not actually bought anything from them, but I reckon you would be better served buying elsewhere - I haven't heard to much good stuff about them.
FollowupID: 366031

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:43

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:43
Moggs, I got the same service from them.

Im still waiting for a reply on their 4 and 6 inch lift kits - that was 2 yrs or more ago now...
FollowupID: 366039

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:49

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:49
Mother hen, there is a discussion on OLimits at the moment on these cheapy ones.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
General 4x4 Tech/Discussion - Thread 43447
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43447
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The original question was on
ACME brand (yes the Wylie Coyote jokes came out)
REPCO brand
TMAX Brand

There is also discussion on the TABOR Brand (sold by Warn)

Heres a post by Cris of Cris 4x4 Caboolture Qld.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was chating to the T MAX winch distributor about these other brand of winches and they have turned out to be cheap copies of the T Max winch and a certain company that advertised them as T Max wiches is in serious trouble with lawyers.

LudaCris

Here is a post on the "repco" brand winch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw a 60 series with one of those Repco winches on it about 4 months ago, [at the time we didn't know the brand it didn't look familiar] well he couldn't climb this hill so he tried to winch single line pull and the winch took the weight and stopped and that was it, so well tried a double line pull through my snatch block with the same result. Thinking that it wasn't wired up correctly a mate checked all connections and all was OK.So I drove down to where he was and single line pulled it out with my T Max EW 9500.

Here is a post from Jason on the Warns.
Those on here that know me will recognise that I will take my corporate hat off here.

The XP 9.5 suits most people but not the competition people like Woods who are chasing ultimate no to low load speed.

Cheezy runs the previous model of this winch on his Mav and it does the job.

Personally I run and will always run a M8274 on my hardcore (well for a Datsun anyway) vehicle and an XP or simmilair on a touring vehicle if I have one again.

The Tabor is an entry level winch from Warn to combat the influx of Chinese winches and will suit an entry level winch user.

My 2c.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO you cant go past Warn.
FollowupID: 366041

Follow Up By: motherhen - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:39

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:39
Thanks for those extracts; much appreciated. I wondered about the T-max as the specifications are different to the ones on the T-max website. I tried to send T-max an email to ask them if they were made under licence or just copied - but it bounced back - hmmm - says a lot about T-max USA?? One of the extracts you have quoted tells of someone's success with their T-max EW 9500, but that is one of the big differences; the T-max website has only 9000 not 9500 & 9500 are the presumed chinese copies that sell on eBay! I have a quote from Opposite Lock for the Tabor 9k for $1100, and there is still one going on eBay. Thanks, Motherhen
FollowupID: 366132

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:46

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:46
I would still go a second hand Warn.. $50-100 tops to get serviced, and your as good as new. Yes you pay for a name with WARN, but theres a reason for that.

Others to look at if your really keen are Premier, and Brawn...
FollowupID: 366135

Follow Up By: motherhen - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 23:01

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 23:01
Well Truckster - we bought one. Went to Perth today to purchase a 2nd hand ARB bullbar, and came home with a second hand Warn winch too. It is only a 9000 lb one, even though our 4wd enthhusiast son said to get a bigger one. Thanks all for your feedback. Motherhen
FollowupID: 366683

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 14:51

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 14:51
A 9000 will do you VERY well. Some using 8000 low mounts on GQs, but I think they are expecting way too much.

Majority of people with Winches are using 9000's except for comp dudes were micromillibilliseconds matter.

They would use the warn 8000 high mount.

Now remember to run an isolator plug between the battery and the power on the winch.. Remember all the storys of people having winches short out and cutting cars in 1/2?
FollowupID: 366740

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 07:39

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 07:39
Hi again
My first winch was a Turfor hand winch. The only two times ive used it in anger made me late for dinner...but i got there....and the thirst of a man....
Sometimes, a front mount winch is no good to you....like if you need to winch back or recover a vehicle down an embankment. Ive used my Turfor to pull out trees, winch cars onto trailers, etc etc etc ....i wont part with it.
BUT i also have a front mount for when i want to put up that flying fox accross the river :-)
Motherhen, as far as things go, i would buy a cheaper new 12000 lb electric winch, simply because there have been too many stories of water getting into fairly new winches, and siezing them up. They are usually fit and forget accessories, sold secondhand sometimes, because they are not reliable.
Andrew
AnswerID: 109566

Follow Up By: motherhen - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 23:06

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 23:06
We bid on a 12000 lb one on eBay last night & lost. Today we went to Perth to buy a 2nd hand ARB bulbar and came home with a 2nd hand 9000 lb Warn winch as well. Thanks for all your input Dozer; all considered, but availability, price and condition won it for the Warn this time (and bearing in mind Truckster's recommendation for Warn). Motherhen
FollowupID: 366686

Sponsored Links