Nissan rb30 carby problems

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 20:23
ThreadID: 22524 Views:3884 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone out there had a problem with the carby on the rb30 motor fitted to patrols, mine seems to just die for no reason it wont accelerate and has even less power than normal just slowly crawls along no matter which gear you are in then it gives a miss then away it goes back to normal. Any help will be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 21:37

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 21:37
sounds like a bit of dirt in the fuel bowl not allowing fuel at times then shifting clear and running good again.
pull the top of the carby half a dozen screw make sure bowl is clean and nothing stuck on the needle and seat.
another thing you could try to see if it is dirt when it plays up pull over and hit the fuel bowl with a hammer or something dont belt it just a little what if it clears you will know its dirt.
theese carbys are usually pretty good unless they are used for gas and the other problem with them is the secondarys get a little stuck.
cheers diamond rb30 owner from bendigo carby centre lol
AnswerID: 109003

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 22:23

Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 22:23
Bob - mine used to do the same thing. First the secondaries wouldn't open until the revs were right up...and I mean RIGHT up near redline. Then sometimes the primaries would stick too. Sometimes it would also die when facing up a steep slope for too long (although this is a common problem with carby-equipped fourbys as the float bowl empties on a steep incline).

I just went down to a reputable carby place and had them run a carby kit through it. $230 later and all was back to normal....including the economy after a good all-round tune.
AnswerID: 109007

Reply By: A-TREK CAMPING HIRE - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:58

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:58
Bob, mine used to do the same thing, i thought it might have been a blocked fuel filter, after changing it , i was still having the same problems, i ended up tracing it back to the fuel pump in the tank was worn & would cavatate & couldn't keep the carby bowl supplied with fuel.

The symtoms were: normal driving ( just cruising, no accelleration ) not to much of a drama, but as soon as i put the foot down it would accellerate until the bowl emptied then die & just crawl, take my foot off the pedal for a few seconds to allow the bowl to fill up again, put my foot down again, it would back fire, then accellarate for a bit then die again, same again if i was out 4wding, go up a hill, it would die, going down hill or on the flats just idling around, no problems, go up hill, again it would die.

I fixed the problem by throwing away the old pump from inside the tank and replacing it with a 4 psi external electric pump, mounted to the outside of the tank, just use the existing pick up, i did have to extend the pickup pipe inside the tank with about 3" of fuel hose, to put in place of the old pump.
To access the fuel pump, under the carpet in the back of your wagon is an inspection cover, under that inspection cover is the the fuel tank sender unit & fuel pump, undo all the screws & pull the whole unit out as one, Hope this helps, cheers, Dave.
If you have any questions, contact me through my web site: www.atrekcamping.com.au or email me atrekcamping@ozemail.com.au
AnswerID: 109056

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)