CREB track

Submitted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 16:03
ThreadID: 22544 Views:1571 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Anyone know the status of the CREB track?? I want to travel through in the first week of June, do you need to contact anyone?? Hope it's still open first did it about 15 years ago.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 16:14

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 16:14
Hope it is - we're doing it the second week of June.
AnswerID: 109076

Reply By: The Rambler - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 01:19

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 01:19
Don't know if this helps but went through there inAug.2003 with no permission needed and with no hassles.There is likely to be a ranger station near Roaring Meg Falls as it was nearly complete when we went through.As you probably know don't attempt it if there is even a hint of rain but other than that it is very scenic and worth the time---allow a night camp near the falls. andmake sure you are in the right gear when negotiating the very steep terrain.
AnswerID: 109158

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 11:52

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 11:52
They were building a gate in the veiw to charge to go through I dont know were they are up to.

All the best
AnswerID: 109204

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 12:57

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 12:57
Hey Austravel - this is an on again off again situation sometimes several time each year. You can never be sure it is going to be open at any particular time. The area is jointly managed by QPWS, Wet Tropics Authority and the Wujal Wujal people. Contrary to popular belief you do have to cross some private land belonging to the Reynolds family and it would be courteous to give them a call (07 4098 6159) and get their OK. The Reynolds will also be able to give you current update on the track. Remember the track is no longer maintained by the Electricity Authority as they have rerouted the mains supply via Lakeland from Mt Molloy. You can also get information on the CREB track from the Mareeba Police (07 4092 1200) or the Atherton office of QPWS (07 4091 4262). As I understand it the Ranger Station is now open near Roaring Meg and you may have to pay a fee to enter this area.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 109216

Follow Up By: Austravel - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:22

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:22
Thanks will do some ringing around.
FollowupID: 365913

Reply By: hogscar - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 19:34

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 19:34
Frends tried it 10 days ago and decided it is still to wet and dangerous and turned back. My contacts in cooktown say it has rained nearly every day in the last couple of months so You will be in for a challenge if you try it.
AnswerID: 109278

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)