Help with tyres - MTRs

Submitted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:01
ThreadID: 22547 Views:2519 Replies:13 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Getting very close to making a decisioin on a new set of rubbers. Goodyear MTRS look the go at the moment - can get a set for $270 each for 245/75/16s for the Jackaroo. Seen some very good comments, and have done a search but the info is all over the place. So here are the questions, and others seriously looking may find this helpful too.

For those who have had or currently have MTRs,

1) how many KMS and/or how many expected
2) fuel consumption increase going to MTRs from roadies or A/Ts
3) This is an important one - performance on sand. Most of my 4wding is on sand (fishing) so important. Reason I want MTRs though is ruggedness and mud-ability (got burnt on my APs once and did some damage as a result of not being able to get out of the bog hole filled with muddy water)
4) Noise increase - I have a Jackaroo TD with original tyres (Wrangler APs) and want to know if the noise increase is significant enough to annoy the crap out of me or stop a normal-volume conversation)
5) Handling in the dry/wet - any comments
6) Durability - heaps of flack about Coopers at the moment due to bugs breaking off/cracking etc.
7) comparison to BF Goodrich Muddies if anyone has had these too.

Thanking you all in advance.

D-Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:21

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:21
D-Jack,

Have MTR's (235.85R16's) fitted to work ute, 79 series turbo, and have had just over 50K out of them. On the second set now. Good in the wet, don't think I've used chains since had the MTR's on. Don't really notice the noise on bitumen, because run the air most of time, and the radio on.

Have had a couple of runs with flats, but most of time have put this down to the cheap tubes, or nails, or bits of wire. Running them on std split rims. Michelin tubes might remedy the tube problem.

Run on some rough roads, and also off-road, running fences, or mustering etc, so they have a hard life. Haven't noticed any bad chipping.

Reckon they're a good tyre, can't compare them with Mud Terrain, as only had those tyres on a bloody hilux.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 109087

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:44

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:44
Thanks, Bob, appreciate it. I wonder if there are any differences in the split rim version.
FollowupID: 365793

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 19:43

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 19:43
D-Jack,

Are using tubeless tyres, with tubes, on tojo splits. The 235's are a bit wide for the 5.5" split rims, but wiill do the job until I buy the ute(off lease), early next year. Probably fit 7" after market rims then.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 365816

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:29

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:29
I've had mine for 5000kms, nearly all bitumen unfortunately. Not noisy at all IMO although I do have the radio on pretty loud usually anyway, can't listen to Pearl Jam quietly. No problems with handling in the dry, hasn't rained in SA since I put them on so can't comment there. Did a few tracks in the high country last week, nothing too dratsic but I was waiting for a bit of wheel spin on a few occaisions at none at all, thery just gripped and kept going. Done one short sandy track and sailed through no problem at highway pressures. So far I have to say they are great. Mine were $247 fitted 265/75R16.
AnswerID: 109088

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:45

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:45
Cheers Pat,

where did you get them from for such a good price?
FollowupID: 365795

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:48

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:48
Beaurepaires had them on special at the Adelaide camping and 4Wd show.

AnswerID: 109093

Reply By: Utemad - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 21:18

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 21:18
1) Only had them for 10k so far
2) Went from 29.5in BFG A/t to 31in MT/R so it has increased a little but I would imagine this is due to size more than pattern.
3) Haven't used them in sand yet. Better in mud than BFG A/T as you would imagine but I bought these for rock not mud where they are fantastic. Although these are my first mud type tyre so can't compare with others.
4) Noisier than my BFG A/Ts but not noticable with the windows up and that is in a Rodeo with no sound deadening. They do hum with the windows down but not annoyingly so.
5) No better or worse than my BFG A/Ts. Haven't scared me yet.
6) In comparison to my BFG A/Ts they are very strong. The BFG were strong too (no punctures ever) but they looked terrible with scaring etc when you used them in rocks. Lost a couple of lugs too. The MT/Rs on the other hand still look new even after a few good floggings on rocky tracks. Very impressed.
7) Haven't had BFG muds only the A/Ts.

I'd go for the MT/Rs again.

AnswerID: 109132

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 22:24

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 22:24
Thanks utemad. I heard they are fairly pliable, meaning the lugs won't snap under pressure, just flex without cracking. One salesman also said they will wear better because of the flexibility of the compound, instead of sitting firm on the bitumen they move a little because of the silica (I think that's what they call it), meaning less scraping and wear, longer life. I have heard on a thread or 2 that the do 'squirm' a little under load because they are so pliable.

Thanks for the reply

D-Jack
FollowupID: 365851

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 22:25

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 22:25
1. Only Done about 2000k on them - I use them for offroad only.
2. Haven't noticed any. Should increase a liitle bit.
3. Good - going to simpson in July with them.
4. A liitle bit of increase but nothing to worry about.
5. Handling is very good - dry/good - wet
6. Excellent - used them in High Country on rocky stuff couple of times and
no problems.
7. They look very similar, but I haven't tried BFG Muddies...
AnswerID: 109146

Reply By: flashnick - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 22:47

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 22:47
Have used (gone through sets of) MTRs BFG Muddies and am trialling Bridgestone Dueler 693 MTs. - sorry to throw a cat amongst the pigeons but I really like the Bridgies. Great in mud and sand and good roadholding and don’t feel or sound like they are wearing out when you corner hard - - very direct on the bitumen and so far indestructible.

MTRs on GU Patrol - wore fast - much faster than BFGs and so far the Bridgestone looks to last even longer. After 40,000ks not a lot left of the MTR (however some get good miles out of them)-
MYRs chipped badly on rock and spinning up hills. Mind you we are hard on them and the GU is heavy. (BFGs chipped less than the MTR and so far only a few cuts in the Duelers)

MTRs are the best for side wall strength but have also had an excellent run on BFGs in places like Emu Creek Extreme Retreat - which is ALL sharp rock.
Haven’t tested the Duelers in the really sharp rock yet so I don’t know.

Not as good in mud as BFGs and Bridgestone MTs (In order of self clearing Bridgestone’s clear mud the best next BFG then MTRs)( Bridgies have a bigger lug and a good taper)

Sand wise - brilliant when aired down however more prone to rolling off rim than BFGs at same pressure (below 16PSI)(probably due to stiffer sidewall) There is not a lot between these tyres, as you know, in the sand they all do very well as long as you know what you are doing and know what your wheels are doing (ie not spinning and digging you in.)
Very similar to BFG on wet bitumen and I think a little better than the Bridgestones in the wet.
Noise - not too bad - they are a Muddie - just live with it or go for ATs of HTs - (you cant have everything)
Fuel consumption - yes will use more unless you put 2-3 extra PSI than the experts say you need.

Having gone through sets of each and my jury is still out on the Duelers - I think the Duelers are so far the pick of the bunch (Ill tell you for sure in another 10-20,000ks) - dont know why they are such a well kept secret, Id have them over the BFGs - gave up on the MTRs because of the wear and chipping on the GU.
Which does not detract from the MTR at all they are a great tyre but not for our purposes.
Not many people know much about the Duelers, they are worth a look before you buy anything. I had to try them as they looked very good and the compound seems very good.
I would be more impressed if they had a sidewall lug like the others but as I said before -you can’t have everything.
When doing the homework Just listen to people who use them - not somebody who is selling you something or somebody who's mate knew a guy who broke one... LOL.;

I think thats about it

Nick
AnswerID: 109150

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:46

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:46
Thanks Flashnickf

I do ask the question though as to how long a go you bought the MTRS, because I believe it was not that long ago that they added the silica or whatever to rubber them up a bit, make t hem more pliable. This as I explained should increase mileage and reduce chipping. If the ones you had were the same as I am probably going to purchase, I may think twice, but that is assuming they were the same and the compound has not changed since you bought yours.

D-JAck
FollowupID: 365941

Reply By: Redback - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 08:14

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 08:14
D-Jack this is my thoughts on the MTRs i have a mate who is on his second set and loves them he drives a 100s Cruiser and got about 50,000 odd Ks out of the previous set now this from a 3.2tonne vehicle is very good.

Baz.
AnswerID: 109165

Follow Up By: Redback - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 08:16

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 08:16
Oh i forgot to mention he didn't replace them because they were worn he got an offer for a new set he couldn't refuse.
FollowupID: 365868

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 08:58

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 08:58
The price is very rich I think.. I was quoted $300 for 33x12.5x15's then called around and got them down to $265, this was only a month ago.. Call around.

I have MTR's and will replace them with MTR's. Very happy customer.

Performance on Sand... No issues at Robe, theres some photos of our trip there on my Website..
but the sand was hard packed. IMHO, you are best off with AT or HT's on sand.

When new they are quiet.. Less noise than my Old BF MT's. But the noise will get to you when they start to wear out (after 40-50,000), and they do require balancing regularly, but then so do all tires. Mine have ~40,000 and they "LOOK" about 50% worn.

On the road, in the Dry and wet they are fine. Dirt freeways out Murray Sunset, they handled 110k's crusin round quite well, and didnt lose out on some of the corners that catch you out.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Some dude on here was dribbling the other week about "oh poo they are soft they will fall apart"... But I've done some hard stuff with them up Toolangi (rocky Track, the steps etc), and theres a few cuts in the tread blocks, but there are the same cuts in my Simex's from the same track.

I had BFG muds before the MTR's. IMHO, they are about on par with each other. Some people say they are happy with BF's some with MTRs, but Im yet to hear any bad stories about MTR's from the dudes that run them in Tuff Truck, and other comps. Just which you can get the better price on.
AnswerID: 109174

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:09

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:09
Thanks Truckster, more good info and feedback.
FollowupID: 365937

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 11:50

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 11:50
Bloody good tyre.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 109203

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:29

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:29
I've only had mine on for a few weeks (31"10.5R15), done a couple of thosand k's already on them, two trips away lot's of gravel and lot's of tar.

I've never run a muddies before either but I have been in other cars with BFG muddies. IMHO the MTR's are deffinatally quieter. With my windows down and fully loaded they are a little noisy, but I never drive with my windows down on the highway, always A/C and stereo. The missus and I can talk at normal levels with a CD playing in the background at 115km/hr no problems.

Gravel = Awsome. I always liked driving on gravel, now I LOVE it.
Corrugations, I did some pretty visous corrugations loaded up on Saturday at 42psi I thought the roof rack was going to fall of and my spine was going to snap (as you would imagine at 42psi). I went about 10k's like that because I thought my turn off was comming up soon. Then I had to stop and let them down to 29psi so that my concusion would disapate. ;-) At 29psi it was almost "what corrugations?".
Only been down a tiny bit of sand on these tyres, soft top soil they dig in at high psi and claw their way along, soft stuff at hight PSI they just SINK. Lower PSI no problems, but as I said havn' really given them a beach run or anything yet.

Handling in the wet. We've just started to get our first bit of Rain here in WA and I havn't given them a hiding in the wet as the family has always been in the car but it has felt nice on the road and with a little bit of not paying attention I had to brake pretty hard and I was waiting for them to lock but they didn't so I'm pretty happy so far in that department.

The surf rumbles around the burbs as a glorified shopping cart and to and from school during the week, the last couple of weekends we have been off on trips and have been very loaded up. So the majority of the MTR's k's have been on the highway loaded at 100 + km/hr and on gravel and dirt/scrub tracks. No marks in the tyres at all yet and we have done some pretty rough tracks (some where the tracks had almost dissapered and there were sharp rocks, and bushs/sticks all over the place.

Happy so far, fingers crossed for the future!
AnswerID: 109223

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:07

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:07
Thanks Jeff

I do ask the question though as to how long a go you bought the MTRS, because I believe it was not that long ago that they added the silica or whatever to rubber them up a bit, make t hem more pliable. This as I explained should increase mileage and reduce chipping. If the ones you had were the same as I am probably going to purchase, I may think twice, but that is assuming they were the same and the compound has not changed since you bought yours.

D-JAck
FollowupID: 365936

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:28

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:28
I bought mine from my local Goodyear service centre and they had to get them in to order as they didn't have stock, I didn't realise that they had just changed it, I bought them with the Silica compound being one of the reasons to go the MTRs.
I bought mine about 3 weeks ago.

Why would you think twice if they are the same as mine, mine are great?

The other thing too is if you buy from a goodyear dealer they should offer you free balancing every 10k and free puncture repairs (including sidewall).
FollowupID: 365940

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:47

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:47
Oops Jeff, followed up to the wrong post! Disregard that apparently stupid reply! Was meant for Flashnich who had them a while ago but cracked/broke.

D-Jack
FollowupID: 365942

Reply By: flashnick - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:58

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:58
yeah - must admit they may have been older stock It was a couple of years ago. - I think the mob who supplied them had them for a bit.
Nick
AnswerID: 109322

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 20:17

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 20:17
mate i have had mtrs on the jack for about 15,000k now, wearing well. bought late last year. Make sure the 245 is actualy available, when i was looking they only had 3 245 on order to come into the country ?? who buys 3 tyres ???

anyway i put 265/75/16 on her and yep it slowed it down heaps, added 1.5-2 l/100 to the consumption as well. BUT off road they are great on dirt/ mud/ and hard gravell. I find them absolutely woefull on loose gravel on the jack, it just slides around heaps. same for loose sand tracks.

on road they arent too noisy, but very notchy at low speed (of course) and in the wet they lock easily at anything over 3/4 braking effort. They also squirm like buggery under power, and make the craziest howl when spinning :-))).
If you can get em in the 245 definetly go for it.
AnswerID: 109688

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:55

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:55
Bradley, again it appears we are talking tyrs and again I am jealous of the V6 power!! LOL
I have bugger all chance of getting the MTR's to spin on the surf!!
But I reckon they would make a pretty awsome sound...
I actually found the MTR's good on the loose gravel, I was fully loaded though, I wonder if that made it dig in more or somthing...
FollowupID: 366495

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:56

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:56
yeah like i said a while back, the gravel performance differences have me stumped. oh well.....

Talking power, walking down the street back from lunch today i stopped in at Herrod motorsport to check out a very nice new pursuit boss v8 ute they were working on, just fitted and tuned a capa blower kit and it was putting down about 350kw at the wheels, oooohhhh bbbbaabbbbbyyyyyyy, what a ride !!!!!!!

Now where do i find one for the jack !!! LOL
FollowupID: 366512

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:51

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:51
Hi D-Jack,

Have had my MTRs, 30x9.50R15LTs for 3mnths now with about 4000ks on them on a Hilux Duel Cab 2.8d. Picked them up for $235.00ea fitted. They have had silicon added and am expecting to get approx the same as my old set of AT/S, 65-75000ks (this is what I got out of my 80series LC and also on the old ex hilux before traded on current ute) and done some fairly serious work on them and at the moment there is no wear to speak of, even the little rubber lugs are still there. In my opinion my vehicle has actually improved in handling, even on the black top in the wet. In the Mud, well, Yippeeeeeeeee!!!!!!. There was only a marginal increase in rd noise, can still here myself think. I dont know about the BFG as have always run Goodyear AT/S, it is just a pity they are no longer made. (Too Good a Tyre).

Darryl
AnswerID: 109911

Sponsored Links