Sorry - tyres again

Submitted: Monday, May 02, 2005 at 08:38
ThreadID: 22562 Views:2008 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

I am new to the board and 4WD driving having just upgraded from a Subaru to a diesel rodeo.
OK I want to do a Simpson Desert tag-a-long and am wondering about the tyres fitted as standard, they are Dueller AT 693 245/70/16 693 are they up to it as reading the info it says their only 2 ply sidewall and tread and are made in Thailand. If I change I think I would go for the BFG AT and I assume I can get them in the same size as the duellers.
Also I want to buy a spare rim and assume I will be stuck with buying from the holden dealer as I think they will be very difficult to find second hand.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:00

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:00
Wheres Ray (maddog), he had a Diesel Rodeo before he downtraded to his Lux ;)~

Have you asked the tag-a-long place what they use? Gives you an idea of whats worth it..

Rims - wreckers, call around.
AnswerID: 109176

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:13

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:13
Ray fled the country ... in a hurry !!

I think he's in Argentina?
FollowupID: 365875

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:08

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:08
interesting iMusty, Argentines seem seem to be coming here.......
FollowupID: 365911

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:03

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 13:03
BFG AT are now made in asia and also only have 2 ply sidewalls...
AnswerID: 109217

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 15:57

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 15:57
The desert itself is easy on tyres.
The Birdsville and Oodnadatta tracks are stony and can be hard on tyres.

Don't overload, keep you speed below 80kph on the gravel, have plenty of tread on the tyres and run the pressures at no more than 20psi in the desert and 25psi on the gravel. These factors are more important than brand of tyres.

I believe the Rodeo and jackaroo are interchangable, so a used wheel should be easily found at the wreckers or tyre shops. The stud pattern and offset hasn't changed over the years. I'd guess yours are the 16x7, judging by your tyre size. If you do get new tyres, consider 245/75R16 which are a little taller, and have the stronger LT construction.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 109236

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 17:08

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 17:08
I concur that the desert itself is fine on tyres but your sidewall strength is a concern with stakes etc. Pressure is the biggest issue. You have 16 inch which is fine. Don't want to be stuck in Birdsville for weeks waiting for a "city" size tyre to arrive. I personally would steer clear of the AT tyres. Having that extra tread depth on a tyre is important with sharp rocks etc but that's just my opinion!
Suspension is something I would look at though. Don't trust the suspension out of the production line. I would get that upgraded before going.
Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 109250

Follow Up By: WillV - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:12

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:12
Thanks for advice received. Can you expand on the suspension upgrade section. The car is a 4x4 diesel rodeo and I purchased it thinking it would be OK standard for mainly towing a camper trailer and the annual or so trip into the outback. Maybe I should have looked into it more before purchasing mind you my options were limited as I wanted a diesel ute with ABS and airbags which basically meant a rodeo or hilux. I liked the courier but ford wil not garauntee their bullbar with airbags.
FollowupID: 366064

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:17

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:17
Mate 2 ply sidewalls are common only some sizes have 3 or more in the wall your tyres will be a 6 ply LT tyre (check it has the LT stamped on the tyre as wall.

If you r concerned about the tyres strength maybe this will help, I know some people who r doing the canning stock route in month and 2 out of the 4 car’s are running the 693’s.

Tyre pressure and the right speed is the key.
AnswerID: 109264

Reply By: Steve - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 20:25

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 20:25
WillV... you have great tyres which will be fine for the desert ...remember to DROP PRESSURES and you will have no troubles ...also bring a pump to get them up to normal when you have reached the end...suggest max 20 psi for the trip ...but this will depend on how much weight u are carrying..generally...the lower the pressure the more grip !! The tag a long operators usually have a compressor for trips like this ...check with them !!! Check your local tyre dealer or nearest Tyrepower store for a spare tyre and rim ...
AnswerID: 109291

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:38

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:38
WillV

I did the Simpson on 693's a couple of years ago. The only problem I had was when a salt lake went soft on me I did not have enough tread to get a good bite. Had to back up a bit and run again. Should have got the new tyres before I went not when I got back. Oh well you live and learn. If the tyres are reasonably new you should be OK.

As for an extra rim,tyre dealers are the go. Particularly those who sell a lot of new wheels. Thy often have old standard rims lying around sometimes with half decent rubber on them. I got three for my trailer that way and at the right price.

Duncs
AnswerID: 109333

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:54

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:54
The heat build up in the shockers will be too much for standard shockers straight off the show room floor when going over the dredded corrugations. They will survive and do fine on smaller trips (flinders rangers etc) but anything big like Birsdsville where you are on the road for hours a day for days on end the standard suspension will be stuffed after 1 trip. Good after market will be fine (ARB, TJM). Some good advice I got from this forum was that the money spend on suspension will save you twice as much in repairs. After doing a big trip up North and carrying a lot of gear I can safely say that it was good words. The Landcruiser who I went away with did not upgrade their shockers and it was shaken to bits by the time we got back home. Mine was as good as home.
AnswerID: 109457

Sponsored Links