Fishing the Towns River

Submitted: Monday, May 02, 2005 at 20:59
ThreadID: 22586 Views:1916 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We leave in a few weeks to fish along the Roper River from Roper Bar to a few spots east.We have done this for a few years but have not gone further to the Towns river to camp or fish.Have passed thru on a number of times form the East.

What I would like to know from any one who has fished the Towns is how did you go and is there info re the conditions on the river.ie Mud maps of rock bars and navigation hazards.

Appreciate any feedback on this area.

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave ....Adelaide - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 00:32

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 00:32
Hi Stapo

I have fished the roper a few times now , i dont know of any mud maps showing rockbars and other hazards , but if you call into the shop at roper bar the owners will be glad to help you out with any info, last time we were there , 2 yrs ago one of the guys who worked in the shop was glad to help us out , and on one occasion actually came with us to show us his fave spots ....cant remember his name at the moment , but just call into the shop anyway........Cheers .......Dave

P.S....his name is Rob
AnswerID: 109364

Reply By: The Rambler - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 16:09

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 16:09
Stapo,
I was camped there last year and fished from the bank with no luck--only catfish, but that was in Aug. which is not the time to be catching bara.The river is very open so you should have no worries using a dinghy.There are a number of campsites on the East side of the river with a drop toilet but there is a great camping spot on the west side on the crossing if you are lucky as it is a fairly popular spot.Personly for the fishing I would go up to the Roper Bar caravan park which is on the Roper River and I think you would have more luck.Dont forget the drop nets for cherubin as there are some beauties there.
Good luck!
AnswerID: 109472

Sponsored Links