CREB track update

Submitted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:28
ThreadID: 22602 Views:1838 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to those that gave me info on the CREB track. I've just rung the NP's in that area and was told that the southern end at the Daintree is still closed due to wet conditions. When open a permit is not needed to traverse the CREB track but is needed to visit Roaring Meg falls.

Now comes the big one!! They hen told me part of the CREB track and Roaring Meg is under aboriginal ownership and that the same limits to booze apply as per the cape. I asked if I was only travelling through and didn't stop at Roaring Meg falls could I have other booze in the vehicle. The answer was better off not to, so basically if this is correct and I've no reason to believe otherwise, if you want to do the CREB track take no/minimal booze.

Will have to look closer at the rules for the cape to see if the NP have it right.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IanC - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:49

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:49
Giday,
I am a new user on Exploreoz so I am still getting the hang of it, however Myself my partner and two kids 12 and 14 Ys old are planning a trip to Cape York this winter and I have heard quite a bit about the CREB track. At present we are travelling by ourselves - 100series Cruiser Tdiesel with TVan . Am interested in any info regarding CREB track and further North
Pity about the booze thing...makes a long trip a thirsty one!!

AnswerID: 109418

Reply By: Member - Kevin R (QLD) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:26

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:26
Hi Guys,

I may be wrong but I understood that the road that goes around the outside of the aboriginal community of Wujal Wujal was outdide the grog ban area.

Ian I think towing a trailer over the CREB may be asking for trouble. If perfectly dry you might make it but if only a little bit wet you will be winching big time.

Cheers

Kevin
AnswerID: 109450

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:41

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:41
They told me differently. Wujal Wujal is inside the grog ban you can travel through but if you stop at all and you have above the limit you can be fined.
FollowupID: 366071

Reply By: The Rambler - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 16:36

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 16:36
Austravel,
As Itold you I was there 2 years ago and the same rules applied but use your discretion and use whatever alcohol you like as noone is coming into your campsite to test that rum and coke or gin and tonic.Enjoy and remember that if we all followed all regulations to the letter we would never leave home.
AnswerID: 109476

Reply By: hogscar - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 01:37

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 01:37
Try this site on booze limits it might help
http://www.mcmc.qld.gov.au/community/restricted.php
AnswerID: 109553

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:11

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:11
Hi Austravel,

Wujal Wujal is a total ban on grog but the Bloomfield Road and Douglas Street that goes through the community are exempt from the rules. As for roaring Meg Falls, NP's are making up their own rules, no where is that particular parcel of land, stated as being in a Grog ban. Do a search of Qld Gov sites.

http://www.mcmc.qld.gov.au/community/restricted.php
AnswerID: 109812

Follow Up By: Austravel - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 08:49

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 08:49
Thanks,

Just spoke to the the wet tropics managment group and they said as much. Turns out that a section of the track and the falls area are leased to the aborginal group from the cape and they would rather you didn't take any booze so this guy believes. However no one lives there or visits it's just been leased while they try to have it returned to them. Got my views on this sort of land grab but won't go there. So really there is no reason why you can't take grog through the area. Pretty tough if you couldn't, especially if you are just travelling through and don't take any out of the vehicle.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 366919

Sponsored Links