Folding camper canvas.....JAYCO

Submitted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 13:12
ThreadID: 22643 Views:9272 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
To all Jayco camper trailer 1985 Dove or Finch owners.................Does anyone have a pefect folding strategy/sequence for the canvas ends and sides of the above mentioned pop tops as you wind them down to pack up and move on so as to prolong material and fly screen life as well as to make a neat lid close down.

ALL TIPS WELCOME ........THINKING OF BUYING A SLIDE RULE Cheers Glenn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 13:43

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 13:43
G'day Glen,
IMHO there is no perfect stategy or method involved. I've had my 89 since new and all I've ever done was to shove the canvas in the best way you can, before the lid closes. Canvas and screens are in "as new" condition. Never been resealed ... never leaked. "Works for me!"
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 109612

Follow Up By: gOGLenn - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 10:04

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 10:04
Thanks Capt. Wrongway for the suggestion on the rightway. Glenn
FollowupID: 366343

Reply By: john - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:44

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:44
Well it just happens I owned a Dove for 10 years and the best way to fold is.
Push beds in most of the way allowing for space so that you can get inside the camper. Then push the canvas in at the ends as far as you can.
Then climb into the camper and pull the canvas as far into the camper as you can.
Climb out of the camper.
Now start winding down the roof.
Wind down to about 1/2 metre from closed, now push the canvas in as much as possible.
Wind down some more pushing the canvas in the last bit.
It always worked a trick for us.
The reason the flywire will rip is the the that the roof is raised to high.
This can be adjusted inside on the pulleys.
Let me know how you go?
I still have a repair book for the Jayco Dove if your interested. $35.00 plus post.

John
AnswerID: 109679

Follow Up By: gOGLenn - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 10:15

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 10:15
Thanks John........I have only just purchasesd my first ever jayco and going round oz for 6 months. It's a finch and I thought jayco may have studied japanese origame tecniques in order to get a simple non wearing procedure ,because I have noticed a lot of damaged screens on the used models that I have looked at.I thought there may be a way to attach the canvass ends to the roof in the half way down position so that everythingelse that is left is easy to push in.Thanks for the advice .Regards Glenn
FollowupID: 366345

Reply By: gone bush - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:14

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:14
Hi, we don't have a Jayco but a Coramal but it's the same type. We have learnt a big lesson on our first trip with our camper ALWAYS make sure that the beds are pushed in before winding it down, we have a nice hole in our canvas where the arm from the bed end came through the canvas, we were in a hurry on a windy day and not thinking. Now we have one person that winds it down while the other person walks around the camper pushing in the canvas, then when there is only about 6 inches to go we stop winding and go around pushing all the canvas in making sure that all the edges are inside. thank goodness no more holes. Also we find it helps to make sure that the curtains all round are closed as it stops them from bunching up with the canvas when winding it down. good luck
AnswerID: 109906

Follow Up By: gOGLenn - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 16:11

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 16:11
Thanks for the great advice......................regards Glenn
FollowupID: 366622

Sponsored Links