Blue Rag Range Track

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2266 Views:2441 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Am contemplating doing the 4wd track from Dargo High Plains Road Vic to Blue Rag Range track.Has anyone out there had any experience in this area ? any advice on conditions?.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Banker,

Spent a fair bit of time around Dargo High Plains and poking around the Crooked River quite a few years ago. If it was dry, the going was generally pretty straightforward, even with some steep ascents and descents. Quite a lot of creek crossings though I'm not sure about the Blue Rag Range Track. If it is wet, make sure you stay well off the shoulders of the tracks. We went a bit wide, hit the shoulder which gave way and rolled down the side of the ridge a couple of times before a tree stopped us. Not a lot of fun, as you can imagine.

The area is very interesting. Ghost towns of Grant and Talbotville are worth a visit. Could still find pieces of glass and porcelan, nails etc around. Quite a few old mines and mine relic around too. Good Hope mine shaft could still be explored (if you're game). On the valley floor below is an old boiler and other relics.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

:-) Melissa
AnswerID: 8073

Follow Up By: Banker - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00
Thank you Melissa for replying. Needless to say we will keep dead centre of the track if situation permits. Trust you survived your experience without too much damage to vehicle and no personal injury-it is something we all dread but at times it is very difficult to correctly read the conditions.
FollowupID: 3822

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Banker,

Yep, no injuries (only pride) luckily, but can't say the same for the F100 ute we were in. Luckily we were travelling with a club and with everyones help, the vehicle was winched back onto its wheels and back up to the road. It was able to be driven back to Shepparton, although the bent up cab etc raised a few eyebrows. It was the F100's maiden voyage in the bush, and the owner had been VERY disappointed with it's lack of manouverability, mainly due to it's large size. Anyway, cut a long story short, insurance covered all costs and afterwards it was better than ever. He immediately sold it and made a tidy profit :-).

I should have mentioned in my earlier post, the reason the driver wandered out wide onto the shoulder of the track was that it was wet and the track was slippery clay. He had not bothered to engage 4WD so coming around a bend, the truck slewed sideways a bit and the rest is history.

Anyway, enjoy your trip.

Melissa
FollowupID: 3827

Reply By: Thommo - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Hi banker,
The road from Hotham High Plains to Mt Blue Rag is easy going if dry, the only real problem maybe bending side steps on erosion control humps. Take them slowly, and on an angle if required. As per previous message, the area is very interesting, and a trip down to Talbotville is highly recommended. This can be done by 2wd via Dargo High Plains Rd, and Grant, or very good (easy when dry) 4wd tracks with great views.
If you want more info, we can try direct contact.
Thommo
AnswerID: 8090

Follow Up By: Banker - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Thommo-Thank you for the advice and offer of further info.I will come back to you if I have unanswered concerns.
FollowupID: 3821

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00
Did the trip on 3rd November and did not have any problems in a Landcruiser, Patrol and Prado. The road was pretty dry and not at all slippery but it it was raining it would be pretty difficult in parts. In the dry it was moderate.
AnswerID: 8179

Reply By: jeff- Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00
No worries on the blue rag track for a standard 4wd, good views and can get mobile coverage from the top, gets narrow towards the top.
AnswerID: 9521

Follow Up By: Banker - Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Jeff sounds a worthwhile look.Now to work on the wife who loves the black stuff.She declined our latest 7500ks outback which was great. Us blokes had a ball, their wives had to stay home because mine did.
FollowupID: 4859

Reply By: jeff- Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:00
banker, get her involved, it is great country, from the blue rag into dargo and surrounding areas a lot to see, up billy goats bluff to the fire tower where on a clear day you can see the gippsland lakes, howitt plains road a beautifull drive, you can cut down off this on the zeka spur to wonnangatta or take the butchers track down onto the mcalister river and from there the choice is yours which way you go.Enjoy
AnswerID: 9566

Sponsored Links