awning for side of vehicle

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2268 Views:2244 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I want to fit an awning to the side of the old SupaTrupa. I have spotted these: www.opensky.com.au/awnings.html They seem to be economic and neat. I saw them at the 4X4 show in Melb. a couple of weeks ago. It needs to be able to be put up in a few minutes, hold off the rain or sun and pack away just as quick. It needs to stand up in a stiff breeze and have walls if need be later. Any ideas? Oh yeah.... It needs to pack into a fairly neat package that will stand up to a few leafy branches thwacking it sometimes. Cheers Royce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter - Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
Have a look at
www.aussietraveller.com.au
We have one of their early models fitted to the side of our works Toyota 22 seat Coaster small bus and it works a treat.
Folds up neatly, with a bit of effort at first but easy to do once you get used to it.
I just had a look at the awnings on that site and they look to be quite good. Much better than the one we use.
I understand the company is based in Brisbane with agents throughout Australia.
The benefit of our awning is that it can be easily repaired and all parts are obtainable from boating shops (mostly sail boat spare parts shops).
Good luck.
AnswerID: 8081

Follow Up By: Royce - Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
Heck! That was quick! Thanks Peter!
FollowupID: 3815

Follow Up By: Steve - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00
Aussie Traveller the way to go !Brisbane 07-3868-3868 give them a call
FollowupID: 3825

Reply By: Cam - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Royce if being cost effective is important to you then my bro-in-law has a system attached to his roof rack using a caravan awning track. This is the type where you slide a rope sewn into the side of an awning along a metal channel of the track.

This system works well but you do need to take tent poles & ropes to secure the other end. When travelling the awning rolls up & is strapped to the side of the roof rack & when driving around town the whole lot just slides out.
AnswerID: 8107

Follow Up By: Royce - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Cam.... I had that system on the side of a Hiace campervan. It is a nuisance to get up and down. I travel Oz with a Science Show for kids. I travel through the outback.... all over. I arrive late in some towns. I set up whereever and need to pack up quick to get to work. Sometimes I might stop for a few hours here and there. An awning that just rolls out is the best, so I can pack it back in a few minutes. Hooroo
FollowupID: 3836

Sponsored Links