New Hilux Off Road

Submitted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 09:43
ThreadID: 22680 Views:6125 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Just for a bit of general information. I had the companies new hilux out off the blacktop yesterday

We have set this TD Dual Cab up with a toyota factory winch bar and Superwinch 9000 up front, also getting rid of the standard tyres and going for Cooper ST 225/75.

Off road it really wasn't too bad. The front sump guard scrapped a lot in comparison to the old hilux (2002 straight diesel with 100000 km's, very well used). Places where the old one would not touch anything on the bottom the new one hit everything. The suspension has good travel, only lifted a wheel occasionally, whereas the old one would have done it very frequentley. Power from the new motor was great but getting down in the real low revs had it struggling a bit. The old one would still pull up from about 600 rpm. The new one would but it really felt like it was going to stall. I drive a 2001 TD Cruiser and i know they don't like the low rev range, might just be something with turbos. Overall it felt like a stronger vehicle and soaked up the bumps better than the old hilux's.

As a quick note, if anyone is going to get one, get rid of the factory side steps. They lower ( I think ) the ground clearance a fair bit, and don't look like they can support bugger all weight. They wiil be the first things to go at the 1000km service with the optional toyota side bars and steps replacing the originals

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hound - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:14

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:14
Getting mine tonight. Have cooper mud tyres ready to go on tonight and will take off the side steps. I have a single cab chassis which going by Toyota's figures has the best ground clearence of all the new model hilux's, they must have tuned the suspension different to other models. The 31-10.5 tyres will raise it a bit more.

Going offroad this weekend to see how it goes.

Griddo
- Did the winch and bar drop the front of the car as it did with all the previous models or did the coils spring hold the weight up?
AnswerID: 109835

Follow Up By: Griddo - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:22

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:22
Hound

I don't think it dropped it by much but i will have to check. It probably has affected the rebound of the front springs a bit though. When the old one gets back i will check it out

I forgot to add the most annoying thing of this vehicle is if you leave the keys in the ignition with the engine offand open the door a real annoying beep sounds constantly. No good if you want to listen to stereo during smoko. Another thing is the seatbelt warning buzzer. I do some fist gear low range crawing throught some bush sections and it is handy to have the belt off. That bleeping buzzer just keeps going off

I am haing some rear protection bars made up to go around the back corners off the ute well to protect the rear lights. Some of the people have a nasty habit of dropping the rear onto things or reversing into stuff. I would really hate to see the cost of one of the replacemnet lenses.
FollowupID: 366393

Follow Up By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:40

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:40
I think you will find the suspension would drop 20-30mm. It uses the same front suspension as the 120 Prado and that certainly was affected by a winch & Bar on the diesels (100Kg heavier than petrol to start off with)

I think Go_offroad who frequents this site could help you more with both advixce and a suspension replacement. He supplied a beutifull set up for my old 120 Prado and think he has Hilux ready to go.
FollowupID: 366403

Follow Up By: Griddo - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:50

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:50
Outnabout

One major problem is the vehicle is a lease car and we are very limited with the mods we can do. Also upper mangement are a little shy opn spending money on doing up vehicles eg suspension , dual batts , air locker. Generally has to a safety, regulatory or environmental issue before they will consider anything
FollowupID: 366407

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:56

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:56
Ahhh, the good old key beep hey... Somthing that's beenbleepsurf owners of for 15 years!! LOL

There are plenty of mods on the surf forums of how to disable it, personally I just put a switch on the dash that turns the stereo on continuously off the aux bat. That way the keys don't have to be in when camped up etc.

Can't see how a turbo would effect low revs, probally more likley the whiz bang computer variable valve timing or somthing like that causing the dramas. I don't have any low rev problems with my older TD, but then again mines an auto so I don't really ever get low revs...
FollowupID: 366410

Follow Up By: Griddo - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:04

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:04
Jeff

The problem is i am no expert , and jumping in from the old 3.0 l straight diesel to this is like going from a moped to a ducatti. Two differant beasts but do the job that are required to do. The one thing i have found in my 100 series td is that when taking off on hills if you don't get the revs up it is slow to go, but get into the rev range it is off like a shot
FollowupID: 366412

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:13

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:13
Yeah I'm not too well versed in all the whiz bang electronics of these new yota motors either, I know the little Echo I drive for work with a VVTI motor (variable valve timing) is like that, it's like driving a two stroke with a power band! ;-)

Dunno if these new diesels even have VVTI and/or if that's the cause.

DING DING DING DING DING, are you getting cross eyed yet!! LOL

The worst thing about the "ding" in the surf was that it was connected to the drivers door AND the tailgate! So even if you closed the drivers door but had the tailgate down to sit on and enjoy your sandwhich.... DING DING DING ARRRRGGHH!
FollowupID: 366414

Follow Up By: Griddo - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:46

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:46
Jeff

just think these new tailgates have an inbuilt stop lamp in themjust above the release handle

Good place to have something when you are reversing in the bush.

The other thing is storage in the cabin . Have only been able to store under the seat one tree truck protector, two medium shackles and one pulley block. The old one used to have behind the seats two snatch traps a tree trunck protector, two pulley blocks, six shackles, one very big first aid kit, air line, small tool box and some other odds and sods.

Will have to go buy a new space case for all the gear. I can see another justification to the boss coming up
FollowupID: 366423

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 01:16

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 01:16
Can only help with the seat belt buzz - at work we carry around a small piece of cardboard which we insert into the female part of the seat belt - stops the buzz. That is with holdens but may be the same for toyotas
FollowupID: 366536

Reply By: hound - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:02

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:02
Griddo,

I know about the buzzers. One of the first things I will do is try and disconnect or break the buzzer. You could click the seat belt in behind your body so the car thinks the belt is being used. With the door you could push the sensor in and tap it up to think that the door is closed.

I'm sure there will be a way to disconnect them.
AnswerID: 109841

Follow Up By: Griddo - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:08

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:08
Hound

I will be finding a way to sort them out soon. They are really annoying Our local Toyota service department are generally very helpful so they might know some way to get it done - off the record of course

FollowupID: 366398

Reply By: hound - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:14

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:14
The suspension setup I will be going for is Koni shockers and lovells springs. Looked over the other posts etc they seem to be the best. I have had Koni's on my old cars and find them great.

Does anyone know how to stop the buzzers?
AnswerID: 109849

Follow Up By: StormyKnight - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:01

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:01
The buzzer will have wires to it, for a perminant fix you can cut them. Another option that might help is to put some tape over the buzzer to reduce it's volume. It may be virtually unhearable if this is done, but reversable if required.

Cheers
Richard
FollowupID: 366479

Reply By: time waster - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 19:55

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 19:55
griddo
did you fit the coopers to the original steel rims or fit 15" white rims and did you go the new stc coopers? i pick my sr up on monday and are looking at a second set of tyres for going away,also i asked arb when picking up new canopy re the front suspension and it is different to the prado if you fit the prado struts it will lower the lux,also rear leaf is different to old lux
AnswerID: 109899

Follow Up By: Griddo - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 09:29

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 09:29
Time Waster

We just fitted the new coopers to the factory original rims, no problems. I didn't go the new STC tyres due to change over price. I was lucky to get any tyre upgrade at all.I like BF AT's but thought i should try something differant. It is amazing what things come under saftey issues. The closest help if i get really stuck or have an accident is about 2-3hrs away. If they can get to me or if i can contact them. No pohone coverage. Have to use sat phones.

FollowupID: 366556

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:09

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:09
Your experience with the front end hitting mirrors the findings of 4X4 Australia mag. Now this is the twist. All the people I talked to about the old Hilux said they were sprung to harshly and wanted softer suspension. Now I expect everyone will say the new one is too soft and want harder suspension!

Who would be a manufacturer?

Richard
AnswerID: 109905

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 17:35

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 17:35
Which just goes to show that the Japs still have a lot to learn about suspension tuning.
FollowupID: 367288

Reply By: hound - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 08:39

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 08:39
Griddo,

What size tyres did you get. I put my old 31.10.5 tyres on last week and they rub on the inner guard, but the rims I have are to offset and I need to change them. I'm looking at getting 265/75/16 tyres which are abit taller but not as wide.

Had the new hilux offroad on the weekend and so far am really impressed. Heaps of power and the ride is far better than the torson bar model hiluxs. It also handles wrough stuff alot better as the coils in the front have better travel than the old model. Seats seem alot better as well and theres way more room inside the cabin.

Did a quick test on the fuel consumption on the highway and did 10 litres per hundred and wasn't really cruising as I wanted to see how she went. Looked like it went through more in the bush but will be able to tell when I fill up next.
AnswerID: 110582

Follow Up By: Griddo - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:30

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:30
Hound

We ended up putting on 225/75 r16 Coopers. Because we drive in a bit of very isaolated buch/scrub i didn't really want to go for a wider tyre. Also i really coudn't justify the extra costs for replacement rims.

Hopefully i will get a chance to measure up the new and old hiluxes together to see what differance in hieghts there is

FollowupID: 367067

Reply By: hound - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:32

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:32
Griddo,

Do those tyres rub in the inner guards at all? Would a larger tyre fit in the wheel arch?
AnswerID: 110835

Follow Up By: Griddo - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 17:15

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 17:15
Hound

Have tried to get the hilux on full wheel articulation both ways. What i saw was that they shoudl be able to go a fraction bigger in both width and height. A 245/75 might be pushing the limits but sjould be achievable. If i get a chance i will try and measure the clearances with the wheels fully flexed ( harder than it looks with new suspension)
FollowupID: 367287

Sponsored Links