CDMA Wireless Connection for Laptop

Submitted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 11:11
ThreadID: 22682 Views:2631 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys haveing a few problems getting my head around this wireless connection on the road with my laptop computer I have just purchased.
I had purchased a CDMA moble phone with infrared connection capabilities not long ago and was woundering if anyone out there can give me some direction to go from here to be able to set up or use this phone for internet purposes while travelling.

Things I have:
Nokia 6225 CDMA Telstra connection has usb connection cable
Toshiba Notebook Laptop Satellite A50 with 12V connection cable

I Think someone said I had to get a wireless number of some sort but not certian.
Every where I go I get the impression they just want to sell the gear but not answer specific questions.

If anyone out there has got any information in relation to this delema I have could you please respond.

Troopytrek

PS As we are running out of time to be fully set up for our trip which is just around the corner 1 July 2005.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 11:54

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 11:54
Troopytrek,

The USB connection cable interfaces the Nokia 6225 to the PC.
Then, depending on the Operating System of the Laptop, you may need to configure the Laptop's modem to recognise the phone.
This should happen automatically with Windows XP (should come up with searching for new hardware), but other Operating Systems may require you to configure it manually.

Wireless number??? don't know about that. You would already have a phone number for your Internet Service Provider. (ISP) The dial-up application on your Laptop is simply configured to dial the ISP's number via the internal modem.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 109794

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:07

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:07
P.S.

You mention Infrared capability???
Inrared gives a wireless connection between the Phone (if it has an infrared port) and the PC (probably has an infrared port)

But these require configuration and Telstra wont help you there.

You mention the USB cable? This should provide the same connection funtionality as an infrared link. (minus the physical cable of course)

Suggest you check out the Nokia Website for further information.

Nokia Website

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 366364

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:04

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:04
Troopytrek

You may also like to check with telstra and see if 1XRTT high speed data is of use to you. More areas are being opened up to 1X.

Regards.!MPG:9!
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 109797

Reply By: BenSpoon - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:11

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:11
Nokia PC Suite

go to the above, download the latest software for the phone- it should be dead easy. You may need to uninstall the old version (Start > control panel> Add or remove programs> Nokia PC suite) then install the new version.

you need to establish comms thru the cable first- can you upload/download your address book contacts? if not, you may have a dodgy install of the cable driver. uninstall the driver and reinstall. A reboot after uninstalling wouldnt go astray, and when you restart, only plug in the cable when it asks, or windows will bodge the installation with its own drivers instead of using the nokia ones before you have a chance to install them.

After you get the comms going, it should be a simple case of going thru the menus in the PC suite to set the phone to work as a modem. (under "Edit modem options" in PC suite.)
AnswerID: 109798

Follow Up By: ginga - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 18:34

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 18:34
Am I right in assuming that the comms cable can be bought at any / most phone shops?
Do the different models 6385 etc have different cables?
Thanks
FollowupID: 366441

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 18:39

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 18:39
any phone store *should* have them- they are getting pretty popular. telstra shop retails the nokia genuine for $59 as I recall, and i think its a DKU-2 you are chasing for this phone. This DKU-2 also fits most newer and yet to be released nokias-CDMA and GSM
FollowupID: 366447

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:17

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:17
G'day Troopytrek,

Mate, I haven't got an answer for you but am working on the same issue with my Kyocera.

Like you, we are also busy organising as there is not much time before the trip (we're 2 weeks behind you). Have become a little philosophical with these sort of issues, working on them while doing other things and if it doesn't come off I won't lose any sleep. Wanted to have the connection for email and internet to keep in contact. To be quite honest I'm hoping that I'll be to busy enjoying myself to even think about the electronics but it would be nice to be able to send and receive emails etc.

Hope to see you along the way, maybe if you get it sorted you could send an email.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 109801

Follow Up By: Member - Troopytrek - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:56

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:56
G'Day Beatit (QLD),
When I get it sorted out I will email you with the information.
I to was a little philosophical about getting this going, but when you have the kids (who I might add are very dependent on these IT products) we have to move with the times.
And also the grandparents are very dependent on the grandchildren keeping intouch as we go (they spend alot of time with them so the 3 month trip is a bit hard for them to comprehend at this point)
Regards
Troopytrek
FollowupID: 366477

Reply By: BenSpoon - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:28

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:28
in regards to actual connectivity to the www, as sandman mentioned, you should have a number for your ISP. If you are on broadband at home, you will need to contact them to find if they will provide you with a dialup account for free to use instead of the broadband whilst away- some ISPs do, some dont. If you do it this way, you are up for CDMA call charges for your connection to your ISP as well as ISP cossts

Go thru telstra's 1x network for faster speeds, but higher data costs.. its a trade off. keep in mind you will save on not having to fork out for flagfall and connection fees.

I'd recommend going thru an ISP over voice if you are only connected for short times but want a fair amount of traffic. Telstras 1x network seems ideal if you are chasing an "always-on" connection, but with minimal traffic. eg: occasional text emails etc.

You can do things to save bandwidth if you go for telstra's 1x- in most brovsers you can turn off downloading of embedded sounds and images on web pages which will in turn cut down on your end of month bill- Tools>internet options>Advanced>multimedia
AnswerID: 109805

Reply By: Simon C - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:44

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:44
I have and use a Nokia CDMA6385 phone with Infrared, and conect daily (via Infrared) when on the road. I am with Telstra Big Pond, and I have 2 phone numbers...1 is when I am using a land line (0198 ######) number, and the other is a mobile number (0418 ######) that I use when using the Nokia. Both numbers use the same user name/pass word. The main point of this is when you are dialing from your mobile, you are charged a Mobile to Mobile rate which is (for us) cheaper rates than Mobil to fixed line.
It really works well, altho not fast (max of 40-42 Kb), but it gives me internet/e-mail access when on the road.

I also have use the Kycera but I need to use the USB cable. It still worked a treat

Big Pond Tech Support is 133 933 if you need it.

Simon C
AnswerID: 109808

Reply By: trippin around - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:13

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:13
Hi Troopytrek, the telstra 1x system is what we use as we are travellin around our big backyard. you have the choice of pc pack or data pack. the pc pack cost $49 a mth for 20hrs use unlimited. you can go for a higher price/hrs if you want. hope this helps. regards bob h
AnswerID: 109814

Reply By: boshie - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:26

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:26
Thanks for beating me to asking the question I too am leaving on the 1st July for 3 months and need to set my mobile up to the laptop so I can be in touch with the office.

boshie
AnswerID: 109818

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:34

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:34
Troopy, it's not Telstra you need to talk to, it's the Nokia help line. They helped me set mine up with no charge and they were ever so helpful. It took no time at all once they talked me through it step by step. There is a number you can ring and they are so helpful, for dummies like you and I. I was like you had no idea, but the guys at Nokia made it easy. Dont worry about Telstra,,,,,,,ring Nokia.
Karen
AnswerID: 109825

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 17:53

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 17:53
when all else fails call into a local library and use there facilities last trip cost about $10 for about 5 visits to libraries every few days didnt need any mor grief trying to get the rest hooked up

steve
AnswerID: 109867

Reply By: Richard - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:04

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:04
Just purchased a Nokia 6255 (cdma) with bluetooth, supertooth portable handsfree and Dell Axim PDA. Have configured this setup for remote communication (subject to a CDMA signal) for web, email and phone calls. Worked OK recently up at Polblue in the Barrington Tops. Now looking for a bluetooth GPS reciever to run Oziexplorer on the PDA.
AnswerID: 109915

Follow Up By: rpod1 - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:40

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:40
Richard where did you buy your nokia 6225 with bluetooth?
FollowupID: 366492

Follow Up By: Richard - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 18:00

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 18:00
rpod1,

Its the Nokia 6255 which was only released about a month ago not the 6225. First CDMA avialable with bluetooth. Bought it from Telstra . It is a flip phone though.

FollowupID: 366642

Reply By: Member - Troopytrek - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:19

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:19
G'Day Fellow Travellers,
We really appreciate all of your responses. We are pretty determined about having it all up and running before we head off on the 1st of july for one main reason that we're sure all of you will understand and that is that we can't actually think of any better way to spend some of our money {while we are away} by emailing our friends back home with stories & photos of how tuff it is to be fishing & treking while they are in the "real world" working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troopytrek.
AnswerID: 109918

Sponsored Links