FITTING POLYAIRS TO FRONTERA

Submitted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 11:44
ThreadID: 22684 Views:2064 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have just bought a set of Polyairs for my 2002 Frontera and was wondering if anyone had also fitted a set to their's and if so, did they have to drop the panhard bar to remove the springs.
Also, by fitting these and having the front torsion bars wound up, is there anything to be gained in lift and handling ? What other suspension modifications would you recommend.

cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:12

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:12
pmd... one of the other members here (can;t remeber who.) has put polyairs into the rear springs of a jackaroo (isuzu brother of frontera...)... and made no mention of having to remove springs... check the archives using the search tool above......
i'm getting an off-road trailer being built at present and was looking to intstall some to help with the 'sag' in the rear end when towing...
in regards to 'other modifications'.. wind up the front torsion bar to give yourself a bit more clearance in the front end... and there is a set of springs available to give you some lift in the rear too.. (note: IMHO i don't think the 'polyairs' are designed to give you lift..... they only help with levelling the car if towing.. and cornering etc..)
i'd love to see some pics when you have completed it...
also how much did they cost you?.. Poyair Kit Number.?
AnswerID: 109799

Follow Up By: PMD - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:40

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:40
mozza, i am basically installing the polyairs to level out when towing my boat, but wouldn't mind a bit off lift to raise that damm fuel tank, but most reports seem to suggest you can only get about 20mm.
The Polyairs cost me $210.00 from 4WD Service Centre in Taren Point, Sydney, they were about $35.00 cheaper than another mob in Kirrawee.
Had a few problems with the vehicle in the 3 years since new, had the clutch and flywheel replaced at about 50k, rebuild of the gearbox at 70k and now it's booked in to have a grinding noise in the transfer case looked at (sounds like a solonoid not disengaging 4wd and the gears still trying to mesh, as metal filings were found in the oil at the last service ),and an intermittent miss in the ignition system. Hope the dealer sorts these out before warranty runs out in August otherwise it's getting the punt.

cheers,
PMD
FollowupID: 366372

Follow Up By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:23

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:23
sounds like u got a bit of a lemon... best get those items fixed quicksmart!... definately b4 your warranty runs out!! they are great cars when going fine though! i've oly had to replace rear hub seals to date.. so i've been lucky (touch-wood!)..mind you,. the clutch is begining to feel 'suss'...anyway...

thanks for the info re the airbags..... anychance you'd be able to get me the Kit Nuber ?.. and maybe phone number for 4wd service in Taren Point ?? i've been quoted $240 for kit up here in Newcastle.

also, the method for installation from what i can remeber is as follows..>
1 - have your air compressor and tools close-by if required.
2 - jack up chassis of car to allow springs to be at full height
3 - clean all items from inside of springs
4 - place the air bag into a 'warm' bucket of water to aloow them to become slightly 'softer' (and bendable)
5 - slide the bag through the lower section of the spring... and up into place... slightly inflate bag to take up all the 'space' inside the spring
6 - plumb your air lines.
7 - repeat steps 4 & 5 for the 2nd airbag.
8 - done ?

or something along those lines anyway!!!

but if you could send some pics of yours that would be great!
FollowupID: 366379

Follow Up By: PMD - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:39

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:39
mozza, i,m not sure of the part number, could be 61841, but ring 4wd service centre on 02 9526 1881 they'll know. i'd heard the going price was around 240.00 so i snapped them up @ $210.00.
Not too sure how to insert a picture of my car into this post, send me your email address to : pdavey@hncommercial.com.au and i'll send you a pic.

cheers
FollowupID: 366394

Reply By: Redback - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:24

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:24
You can also go HERE as well good info to be had.

Baz.
AnswerID: 109803

Reply By: jackablue - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:47

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:47
I think this is what you are after. I think Banjo got these from Truckspring.
link text

Cheers

Jackablue
AnswerID: 109827

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 18:05

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 18:05
I got my kit for the Terrano 2 from Trucksprings $148.00 AUD including postage, received them inside 4 days too!
FollowupID: 366435

Reply By: PMD - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:53

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:53
mozza, can't remember the kit number,could be 61841 ? but if you ring 4wd service centre, they'll know. their number is 02 9526 1881.
$240.00 was about the going price for a set, so i snapped them up @ $210.00.
Not to sure how to add a picture to this post but if you send your email address to :pdavey@hncommercial.com.au , i'll send you a pic iv'e got on my computer here at work.
AnswerID: 109830

Reply By: ROGER G - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:52

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:52
Hi PMD

Search the archive with "frontera" I posted a some measurements after lifting the rear by 2" and the front by 1/2" a couple of months ago.
AnswerID: 109839

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:19

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 16:19
I removed one side only of the panhard rod on the surf, it was a bloody mongral thing to get back on again and in Hinsight I reckon we wouldn't have actually needed to remove it anyway. We used a spring compressor and IMHO if you've got a decent spring compressor (or access to one) it's the best way to go. Jack the car, remove the wheel remove spring place bag in, re asseble. peice of cake.
AnswerID: 109850

Reply By: Steviebee - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 18:23

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 18:23
Hi PMD,

I have a Jackaroo to which I fitted the Firestone equivalents - I'd say the overall procedure would be similar. Things that might help you :

as others have said, jack up car by body and let suspension arm hang to extend car spring. I disconnected the shockers at the bottom to get a few more mm's

thoroughly remove all road dirt from spring on car before attempting to fit air spring.

deflate thoroughly by rolling up before fitting. Install valve to maintain vaccuum in air spring. Form into shape of a sausage.

dip rolled up air spring in very soapy water to make slipppery - it will slide through the coils easier. If it dries up during the struggle, re-wet it !

I found one went in easily and the other was more difficult, until I re-wet it .... no, it's true ;-)

Cheers, Steve
AnswerID: 109875

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:02

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:02
Just a point on your warrenty. If you have pointed out the problems to them before your warrenty runs out you are covered. Just make sure they have noted them on a service request invoice of which you have a copy. Until the problem is fixed you are covered and it does not matter if it takes ten years. I would also hazzard advice that on any warrenty work you have carried out by the dealer you can basically start the warrenty clock again on that item, within reason. To confirm my advice ring the Dept of Fair Trading.

Richard
AnswerID: 109902

Reply By: Spratty - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:28

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:28
Hi PMD
I have a 2001 frontera from new and fitted polyairs 12 mths ago with the help of mate with spring compressors, took about 1 1/2 hrs to do, quite easy and a dam side cheaper than having to pay someone to fit them. I got them because I tow a 17ft caravan and it certainly makes a big difference, it maintains the vechicles original height when van is hitched and run 5psi in them when not hitched.
I'm actually looking at upgrading the suspension and not sure which way to go OME? XGS 2000? or considering Kings springs with Koni adjustables, I would still leave the polyairs fitted but would need spacers to fill the taller springs, they reckon I will only get a lift of 30-35mm on rear and 25-30mm on front' but the improved handle would be worth it.
Anyone got any susgestions on suspension would really appreciate some feed back.

regards Spratty.
AnswerID: 109921

Follow Up By: Spratty - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:33

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 21:33
PMD, sorry no we didn't remove the panhard rods just supported on stands and used compressors. ta
FollowupID: 366490

Follow Up By: Topend - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:11

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:11
Hi Spratty,

I fitted OME to a Frontera I had 3 years back. This transformed the Frontera. I have fitted OME to every vehicle I have had and it has always improve the vehicle, but it was a huge improvement to the Frontera.

I fitted rear springs, shockies F & R and wound up the torsion bars.

Cheers,
Topend.
FollowupID: 366543

Reply By: PMD - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:34

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:34
Thanks guys for the info, fitted the Polyairs last night in about 1.5 hrs, pretty easy to fit once you know the tricks.
Looking forward to loading up the boat and heading off for a weeks fishing shortly, keen to see how they handle.

cheers
PMD
AnswerID: 109973

Sponsored Links