Heat beads for Cobb

Submitted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:33
ThreadID: 22685 Views:4588 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone use dthe redhead heatbeads for cooking in their cobb? A friend of mine usede them in her new Cobb and after two hours her roast wasnt even looking like being cooked and the heat beads had turned to dust.

I always use the orange and black bag brand heat beads (Cant remember what there called) an have never had a problem. I'm assuming her problems were caused by these redhead heatbeads? Would you agree??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:18

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:18
G'day troy35,
If your referring to the Redhead heatbeads that are impregnated with an excellerant, I'll agree with you. I tried them and had the same result. I've gone back to the oridginal heat bead brand, I think they are in an orange & black packet. 8 - 10 of these will easely go about three hours.
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 109817

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:30

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:30
Have only ever used the Heat Beads® brand for my Cobb.
In fact, I use the Heat Beads® Easy-lite product which, although more expensive, makes life much easier, as you don't need separate fire lighters.
Hardly start on the second glass of red before the cobb is ready for cooking.

The orange & yellow, or orange yellow & black bags are the original Heat Beads® product which comes in 4kg, 7kg and 10kg sizes.

The Heat Beads® Easy-lite come in yellow & black bags and only a 3kg size.
These are a convenient size when you consider you only use 6 or so at a time.

Now, to answer your original question....no.....haven't used the redhead product, or any other brand, but I would be surprised if they didn't generate a similar heat output. I am unlikely to change though, because I like the easy lighting feature without any unpleasant "kerosene" odor usually attributable to the separate "fire-lighters".

As a matter of fact, I'm the nominated cooking detail tonight and planning a slab of Pot Roast, with roasted potatoes and butternut pumpkin, cooked in the Cobb in the kitchen at home. Haven't used the Weber since I bought the Cobb.
To accompany the meal.....hmmmm....A bottle of Wirra Wirra Church Block I think.

Oh life's a struggle!!!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 109823

Follow Up By: Capt. Wrongway - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:37

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:37
Yum...yum, ( picture mouth watering ) I'm coming to your place dinner. I'll bring the heat beads.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 366383

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:17

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:17
Just a warning for some, I first experimented with the Cobb on the dinning room table and it set the fire alarms off wonderfully, fortunately the cobb is light and I picked it up and ran out the door with it before the fire brigade arrived or I went deaf. Any other experiments I try are done outside on the patio. I have only ever used the beads recommended by Cobb and they do last at least 3 hours.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 366462

Reply By: troy35 - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:02

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 14:02
Thanks for the replies. I will tell my friend to try the heat bead brand and see how they go.
AnswerID: 109831

Reply By: Mick - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:07

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:07
What's happened to the Aussie male? This post would have been confined to housewives over the back fence in years gone by! Use corn cobs for cooking - that was the original intention! Better still get a camp oven and a good pile of hot coals. Why ever would you use one of these at home when you presumably have an oven built in?? Just remember, it's only applying heat to meat to cook it - nothing magic!!
AnswerID: 109971

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:56

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:56
Mike haven't you heard of the words "experiment" "test" "variety" etc.

Simpler to do in the comfort zone of home than in the wilds for the first time. As you have stated most can fall back on the built in oven if all else fails.

Some of the best chefs in the world are males so i dont know what your problem is about men enjoying cooking either at home or in the bush and it gives the SWMBO a break as well.

I was a female last time I looked so maybe some of your comments dont apply to me.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 366552

Follow Up By: Mick - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 21:43

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 21:43
Troopy Travellers, The true red blooded Aussie male just chucks a big steak on the hot plate and rustles up a few vegies. He doesn't fiddle around experimenting, testing and looking for variety (and no doubt you sip chardonnay ... oh but not too cold!!!!). As for the SWMBO - he doesn't "obey" anyone just because they "must be obeyed". He respects, loves, protects and provides for her .. but obey her - he would no more obey her than he would expect her to obey him. Fortunately there are many men who are still men and many women just love them too!
FollowupID: 366672

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 20:35

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 20:35
I use the Easy lite beads , with a small amount of metho in a sardine tin underneath to assist with lighting.

After cooking i empty the hot beads into a billycan with a lid , and can reuse the beads next time.
Learnt that trick on the forum.

Pedro

AnswerID: 110076

Sponsored Links