Intercooler & larger tyres on GU Patrol 4.2TD

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2272 Views:5854 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Two seperate, but related, questions regarding my GU Patrol 4.2TD. Wondering if anybody has experience to advise the pros and cons:

1. I'm thinking of fitting an aftermarket Safari Intercooler. Apparently this will produce 18% more power and 16% more torque. The Intercooler itself would be fitted infront of the radiator. I do a lot of highway, desert, sand and general offroad touring with heavy loads. The additional umph is attractive. Pros and Cons or any other recommendations?

2. I'm also thinking of changing my tyres from 275/70 R16's to 285/75's. The primary move behind this is to increase ground clearance a little more. I am aware that this will affect my speedo reading (but can use my GPS to manage that) and that it may also effect the acceleration - but to what extent?? Pros and Cons or any other thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. Piers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Benna - Saturday, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:00
in respect to intercoolers.

The reason why people fit bigger intercoolers is to increse pressure in the turbo. So if that is what you want that is the way. Of course bigger pressures can mean more problems. Also why go safari, i dont know the prices but i guess they are heaps more expensive. Speak to performance mechanics, they install hundreds of these things, that need to deal with a lot bigger pressures than Safari would.
AnswerID: 8128

Follow Up By: Member - Piers - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00
$1800 all up for the safari intercooler. Will investigate other suppliers too. I guess I'm now trying to work out whether the advantages of an intercooler outweight the cons..................?
FollowupID: 3849

Reply By: Geoff - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Piers,
When I fitted 285/75's to my GU 4.2TD a couple of years ago, I found that the effect on acceleration was very minimal, the speedometer read spot-on (was showing 8% fast!), and the odometer measured 4% short.
It had only done 13,000k at the time, but has now done about 55,000k and seems to be just starting to loosen up, so any loss of acceleration from the larger tyres has been well and truly negated. I bought Goodrich All-Terrains, haven't had any probs and are wearing very well.
Cheers,
Geoff
AnswerID: 8134

Follow Up By: Piers - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Many thanks, Geoff. That's just what I wanted to hear about the tyres. I'll go ahead and have them fitted next week. Cheers.
FollowupID: 3848

Follow Up By: Geoff - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Piers,
Just another couple of points to consider.
1. The 285/75's will probably contact the body (rear wheels) on full articulation with standard suspension.
2. You'll have to pack the spare out or it will rub on the back door.
3. Availability of spares in the middle of nowhere. I reckon you'd find it easier to get 265/75's than 285/75's, and for this reason I would probably go for 265's next time, but it really depends on your usage or preference.
Cheers
Geoff
FollowupID: 3851

Follow Up By: Piers - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00
Geoff -
Thanks for your copmments.
ARB provide rear wheel carrier spacer that will fix the rubbing. Also, I don't have standard suspension - I have an OME aftermarket kit which provides about an additional 50mm lift.
FollowupID: 3865

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Theres another thread or 12 on intercoolers here.

Safari to me are way too expensive for the size they are. You can do LOTS better looking at other manufacturers.

If your in Melbourne, try D&F Racing in Aster Ave Carrum Downs, ask for Andrew. He makes intercoolers for race cars and others, and knows his stuff, also his work with TIG welding is amazing. he is also a Patrol owner!

The tire thing has also been done. You didnt mention if its an Auto or Manual? Both react differently.

If you go up 2in in tire size, you (everyone differs, I noticed a LOT with 2inch increase) may notice a slight difference in acceleration, also you will not have the low down offroad as you did before as your gearing the car for better high speed. Also depends on the type of tire you are going to. MT or AT, again both react differently on the road...

As for the Speedo, if its the same as GQ, Nissan sell the gears to change the speedo back to std. The gear is around ~$15 and easy to change.

HTH.
YMMV.
AnswerID: 8139

Follow Up By: Piers - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for the info...

The GU 4.2TD is manual. Running BF Goodrich Mud Terrains......
FollowupID: 3863

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

The Manual will notice it more than the Auto..

YMMV.
FollowupID: 3870

Reply By: Slunnie - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Piers

I can not comment much on the intercooler, though I have changed tyres from 235/75/16 (29's) to 255/85/16's (33's). The tyre you want is also a 33, and what I do find is that you notice the flex in the sidewalls a lot more than with the smaller sidewalled tyres. This I suspect is why manufacturers moved from 15 to 16" rims and some are now moving again to 17 and 18" rims. This sidewall flex make it less pleasing to drive, and this said I don't think I will be changing back though.

Acceleration in my Discovery I found blunted from a stand still, but after this is ok, but brakes is where I notice it most, though this is something that is easily rectified. If you do go to the 285/75 which I think is more than 15mm larger than the std tyre, you will have to have it engineer approved (in NSW at least) who will check it doesn't rub anything, it still stops well and the instruments read accurately. I think this costs about $150ish.

You may also need to check your new roof height with a tape measure to work out your car park status.

Regards
Slunnie

AnswerID: 8150

Reply By: Bob - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

I fitted a Safari intercooler to my 4.2 TD GU Patrol.
Power increase very evident but major overheating problems when towing large loads at lower speeds such as long hills.
I think restricted air flow through radiator is the problem.
Safari not interested in the problem first blaming fitter (Safari approved) then engine tune (Since checked, OK), then radiator fan (all OK) then giving up.
Lots of luck.
AnswerID: 8167

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Have you sorted the overheating problem yet?? I dont see how they can wipe their hands of it. I hate companies that treat people like numbers. Tell them to take their turbo and shove it. What about Consumer Affairs?

Is it a watercooled Turbo, if so that *can* be a problem, as it heats up the radiator water it uses for cooling. But since there are lots of cars around with Safari Turbos, This sounds like an isolated incident maybe.

One thing you can do is run a small seperate radiator for the Turbo. Another option is go for a larger capacitiy radiator.

West End Diesel (I think it was) in Sydney, they do a modification to the waterpump on a TD42, that pumps larger amounts of water around the engine, thats used for desert racers etc. Im thinking of going with that.

Ive been chasing an overheating problem with my TD42 GQ, since before I got my turbo :( but have narrowed it to the Clutch Fan or Water pump.

Mine started on a hot day in Jameison, on a long slow climb, and everytime since then long slow climbs see the "H"... :(
FollowupID: 3936

Follow Up By: Bob - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
To Truckster
Mine was a factory turbo 4.2, only the Intercooler was Safari.
I solved the problem, I traded it in.
F250 7.3 does not overheat.
However, another cause of overheating on 4.2 TD Patrols can be caused by the lower radiator hose "sucking flat" at the bottom (hot) end when everything is nice and hot.
Check by running engine at fast idle when overheating and feeling hose from underneath. Watch the fan.
Cure is to insert spring coil in lower hose.
Let me know if this fixes your problem.
Bob
FollowupID: 3940

Reply By: desert - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Seems your style of 4wd driving is the same as me.Therefore I would say that the minimal gain in ground clearance is not worth the down side of going to an un-common tyres size. If you were rock hoping and mountain climbing all the time then it would be a different story.Likewise, if you were unlucky enough to stuff a tyre in that environmentn then it is no big deal to drive home on the spare or pop out to civilisation somewhere and buy another. Not so for long distance outback touring and desert trips where most stores or remote roadhouses would never stock a 285 tyre. Stick with the 265 which is identical (almost) in height with 235/85 and 750x16 and if you are running on 7inch rims and not the factory 8's, then almost any tyre can interchange; thus 235/85 245/75 265/70 270/70 etc,etc and at a pinch a 750x16 will also go onto a 7 inch rim, which would also get you out of the scrub in an emergency. Also consider that the 285's are max. rated as a load range C and so, will not have the sidewall strength to live in true cross-country, hard desert type environment.
Cheers
AnswerID: 8178

Sponsored Links