Rattle on Startup

Submitted: Friday, May 06, 2005 at 20:52
ThreadID: 22725 Views:3582 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Promted by exploder, I thought I'd ask about my rattle in my 1HZ on startup.

I noticed it recently in Tassie at cradle mountain, when it was mighty COLD. On startup, there was a rattle that lasted 5 mins or so. I had noticed a rattle previously but it didn't last long as it wasn't -2 degrees overnight.

When down from the mountains, I left it at a "toyota" dealership overnight, and went and started it up the next morning when cold (but not cradle mtn. cold)

The mechanic there gave me a strange look as it turned over first go without much of a rattle. (if at all) but it wasn't that cold.

There was definately a rattle in Tassie, and there is still a slight one here in SA, but it doesn't last for long.

Anyway...he told me that a rattle when cold was pretty normal, and some of the older ones backfire and blow smoke till they warm up.

So I'm wondering if anybody else experiences this, am I just being over paranoid?

My wife could hear it in Tassie, and when she can hear it, I know something is different as she doesn't have a mechanical ear if you know what I mean.

Thanks again girls/guys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUPatrol - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 21:35

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 21:35
I would agree with the mechanic.

When very cold, there is detonation (diesel knock) noise for a while until it warms up a little.

Check injectors just in case.
AnswerID: 110086

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 08:15

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 08:15
I noticed that with mine too when it was really cold, can also be accentuated by no oil pressure for a few secs too.
I had a kill switch on the fuel so when it was cold I'd crank it over for 10 -20 secs to get the oil going before starting. seemed to help the noise a bit.
AnswerID: 110122

Reply By: Utemad - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 15:26

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 15:26
Possibly need to run a lighter oil in the cold at a guess. Idle it to warm it up a bit before going anywhere.

I was at Cradle Mountain in January and it got down to 0 degC at night even then!!!
AnswerID: 110167

Follow Up By: WheelTravel - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 18:51

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 18:51
G;day mate,

Funny thing about th.at. I use Penrite Oil and do 5000 changes regardless. A change was due in tassie, and everywhere I went had 20w 60

I use 15w-50 and coz of an 11litre sump i buy ten and use a spare container for the extra 1.

It took over 10 stores to find somewhere with 15w 50, and Tassie of all places should have the lower viscosity.STUPID!

Anyway, I don't think that's it, prob the diesel knock as said above.

Cheers
FollowupID: 366762

Sponsored Links