Changing base map on GPS

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2273 Views:2377 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Thinking about buying a GPS in America or over Ebay(heaps cheaper). Only catch is the base maps. Has anyone successfully replaced the base map.

Magellan Australia told me that to change the basemap you need to pay $400. This is for licence rights for Aussie goverment maps, e.c.t. (Spoke to them about it)

Also, I dont think the base map is changable by normal means, i think you need different equipment. i dont think it is rewritable(?????)

Anyway if is possible to change where would i get the basemap details from in the right format. They are not available anywhere.

This is what ive found out anyway. i have investigated it pretty fully.
But its all theory, just wondering if someone actually got around the problem. And How you did it. Where did you get the basemap from e.c.t .

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00
Magellan Australia told me that to change the basemap you need to pay $400. This is for licence rights for Aussie goverment maps, e.c.t. (Spoke to them about it)

Goto the MAGELLAN LIST, and download it and everything you need free...

I personally havent done it, I had a friend do it as hes done half a dozen!
AnswerID: 8144

Reply By: awill4x4 - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
Bruce, (Truckster) is right, the basemap is readily changeable. I had one sent from the USA which had the USA basemap installed. As I'm not particularly computer literate I had someone help me to change the basemap and now my Magellan Meridian Platinum now has the Oz basemap installed. At a saving of $400 Aus I'm very happy. The unit cost me $600 Aus vs the $1000Aus retail price here.
One thing to note though is that the more detailed mapsend maps have to be downloaded onto a (secure digital) sd card. I have a 64MB sd card which I bought here at a cost of $120 Aus. It is nearly full now but covers VIC,ACT,NSW&QLD and goes down to 4wd track size
In hindsight, it would have been better buying the SD card from the USA as well, along with an SD card USB reader writer.
Be warned as well, the units just LOVE batteries, buy some rechareable NiMH ones as soon as you can.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 8326

Sponsored Links