Safari snorkel

Submitted: Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 20:06
ThreadID: 22757 Views:2803 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I fitted a Safari snorkel to my 100 series l/c today. I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of the template and fitting instructions supplied with the unit. Their policy seems to be one of large tolerances and little precision required. I would have been much happier with more explicit instructions and at least 10% finer tolerances. The template itself was very rough, undersized, and only lined up properly with one edge of the guard. I was quite hesitant to carry on with the process after trying to find the right position for the template but I guess that's why they have such large tolerances for hole size etc.

All in all the result is pretty good but I'd hesitate to purchase another Safari product.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tim (vic) - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 20:22

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 20:22
g-wizz
I am a maintenance fitter and turner by trade and we use tolerances of 0.1mm but when you get some templates ect of thing it is scary for the tolerances they have.
Tim
AnswerID: 110214

Follow Up By: G-wizz - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 20:42

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 20:42
They've allowed 16mm holes for 10mm bolts and supplied huge washers to cover the holes.
FollowupID: 366766

Reply By: Seanny - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 11:01

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 11:01
Hi there,

Well, you could have drilled 12mm holes and reduced the holes for the other bits and pieces to get a better tolerance. The big however - not all vehicles are straight and the larger tolerances allow for this.

If you drilled a tight fit for the largest snrkel hole and then forund that you could not connect it proerly to the pillar, then there would have been a bit more cursing I suspect - IMHO.

Enjoy your snorkel and test it later on for leaks - before the first water crossing ;-))

Seanny

AnswerID: 110278

Follow Up By: G-wizz - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 11:25

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 11:25
I drilled correctly sized holes and slowly increased the size until the snorkel fitted, they are around 11mm diameter.

If a vehicle is already bent then taking a hammer to it before trying to fit a snorkel would seem to be the logical process yeah?

A decent template would have fitted the vehicle better and could still have allowed a reasonable tolerance.
FollowupID: 366815

Sponsored Links