"DUNE is a four letter word"

Submitted: Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 20:27
ThreadID: 22759 Views:2859 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Have just finished reading a fascinating book called "DUNE is a four letter word" by Griselda Sprigg (with Rod Mclean).

It tells the story of Griselda, here husband Reg and their Kids Doug and Marg.

Reg was one of the original geosurveyers doing much of the survey work in the Simpson Desert and the SANTOS Basin in the early and mid '60's. The book tells of them making the first motorised West to East crossing of the Simpson whilst on a survey mission for oil. Sounds like a fantastic trek.

Many of you may also know that the Spriggs eventually took over and developed Arkaroola Station into the Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary that we still have today.

I got the book at my local library and can recommend it as a good read for anyone contemplating hitting the Simpson. The vehicles and technology may have improved in 40 odd years but I am sure that many of the challenges they faced then are still challenges today!!

Cheers
Muddy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 21:26

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 21:26
Thanks Muddy, we head off across the Simpson in September so I will buy it in town tomorrow and have a read. Geoff is familiar with the outback but I am a city girl, so I might find it interesting.
Chat soon
Karen
AnswerID: 110227

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 22:22

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 22:22
You should buy a copy of "the story of Tom Kruse, Mailman of the Birdsville Track" by Kristin Weidenbach for a different perspective too of the development. No doubt Ruth and Ian will be able to add to the depth when you get to BvCP too.
FollowupID: 366781

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:18

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:18
G'day Karen,

When in September are you planning to be there? We're planning a West to East in late September on the way home to Brisbane from the Kimberley.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 366931

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:44

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:44
We leave home on the 24th September and are away for 2 weeks. For the NSW school holidays............Will you be in your Patrol on your rig pic?
Karen
FollowupID: 366934

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:54

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:54
Yep, trailer, tinnie the lot. Been towing this over the soft sand at the likes of Frazer and Double Island Point so feel pretty confident (will have a reality check probably at Alice Springs). We will most likely see you going the other way, we have to be home 7/10 and leaving Broome about 20/9 (after 3 month away). Will keep an eye out for your white patrol with some school aged billy lids. Our group is 4 vehicles but expecting one to take the Plenty Highway - maybe after the Kimberley and the Tanami they'll have a change of heart.

Kind regards and hope to catch up.

FollowupID: 366936

Reply By: Des Lexic - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 21:44

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 21:44
I can endorse Muddy's comments as I bought a copy at Arkaroola last year. Reg Spriggs's achievements were certainly as equal to Len Beadell's
It is a damn good read.
AnswerID: 110234

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 19:24

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 19:24
Muddy,

If you liked that try, Keirean Kelly's two books. He is a modern day journeyman, as are the Spriggs, and he traces paths through remote Australia.
1st is about him in 199 retracing the steps of the explorer A C Gregory, in the Kimberly - "Hard Country Hard Men". The second is about his 2002 trek up the Tanami desert, by camel - "Tanami". Both are well written,and because he reveals his thoughts and opnions, very intimate.

Another suggestion if you like a modern or current perspective of tough endeavours, Jon Muir's "Alone Across Australia".

Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 110335

Sponsored Links