Camping tables

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2276 Views:3507 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We need to upgrade our current camping table (the one with 4 seats built into it). We just want a table and no seats. It needs to be sturdy because we are going on a 6 month trip. The larger the better, within reason. We have seen one with adjustable legs that is very large, but also pretty heavy. Can anyone recommend a brand or type?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dave - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00
Coleman make a folding table, that is very compact and light and i believe to be reasonably strong. We have placed up to 4 20lt water containers without any trouble. They retail for about $140. They have three year warranty.

I liked the first one so much that now i have three.

Unfolded size (roughly) would be 1600 x 450, maybe a bit longer.

DAve
AnswerID: 8140

Reply By: Lyds - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

I just bought (like yesterday) a Coleman fold up too, but the one with the seats. Miles sturdier than any other I've seen, the guy even sat up and bounced on it.

Stuart
AnswerID: 8141

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

We have 2 of those put-together-rollup ones. Only few months old. Excellent for the price. And goes into a bag and looks like a one of them camp chairs.

Alloy you put the 4 sides together, and roll the table top onto that, click it into place and your done.

It does us, play cards, drink, cook on one(we have 2)with all the goodies.

Could be a little bigger, its long enough, but could be wider a little... but I would buy another tomorrow.
AnswerID: 8143

Reply By: Rick - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00
Good question re tables.

Where do you store larger tables while touring? We usually camp & travel with 4 or 5 in the one vehicle, so space is a premium

Regarding the roll up tables, I could not sit at one & eat because due to the bracing, there is nowhere for my legs & knees to go under the table.

So currently I use 2 x card tables, stored on the roof rack.

** But I would really appreciate hearing what others do**

Rick
AnswerID: 8157

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

We've used card tables for years, mainly because they were cheap and light weight. However, we found that it doesn't take long for them to start sagging in the middle and not very sturdy so the slightest bump would cause drinks spillage etc.

Finally bought a more solid table with folding aluminium legs and laminated top. It's rectangular shape has a bit less room than the square card tables but is sturdier and no sagging. Cost about $80 at a 4WD show.

Big tables are a pain to carry, and we found 2 small tables more versatile anyway. Did a recent trip with the young fellow and will cut down our old card table to made a kiddy size table for him before we go away next time ($45 for a factory bought one! Can't see the value). We'll make it to fit inside our table when folded up so no extra room req'd to carry it.

Popular idea is to fit a fold down bench to the inside rear door panel of your wagon. We did this on our old BJ40 and it was a handy workspace when stopping to make lunch with the fridge right there etc, but could be a pain at times trying to squeeze past to get something out of the back of the car. Six of one, half a dozen of the other kind of thing.

Another good thing we had was a folding bench that hooks on the side of our campertrailer. 2 hooks at one end, fold down legs at the other. Have used this for several years and only recently ditched it due to fitting a slide out kitchen instead. Still carried the table for eating at, cards etc but kept the stove and other bits'n pieces off the table.

:o) Melissa

FollowupID: 3862

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Gee Rick you must be tall!

I'm 6ft2 and fat, and I have no problems with the fold up table!

But As I said before, I would like more than one table, infact I think more than 1 table is a must.

As for tables on rear doors, some people get carried away with how much they put on the tables etc, puts mroe strain on hinges, as most have gone for heavier tires as it is.

http://www.geocities.com/hay_dj/Patrol/RearDoorTable/PatrolRearDoorTable.html

I made one out of ply, but yet to fit it.

YMMV
FollowupID: 3864

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Me again Rick,

Just thought of something that might be of interest. I built a "camp kit" out of ply many years ago (been woodworking since a child). Basically a big box about 600 wide x 400 high x 400 deep. Made purpose built shelves to take cutlery, tray, crokery, billy, pots 'n pans, mozzie coils etc. Also had one section for things like tomato sauce, s & p, aeroguard, toilet paper and so on. Basically, it held everything that we regularly used around camp.

The top and front were hinged and folded back or down accordingly making flat work surfaces. Initially it sat in the back of our wagon at all times but later we made a stand for it so we could lift it out for longer stop overs.

This was a great system because it kept everything we used regularly together in one easily accessable place. The fold-down front was large enough for us to prepare meals on and eat at so on quick stopovers we didn't even need to get the table out.

Melissa
FollowupID: 3867

Reply By: Rick - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Melissa,

Sounds a bit like the style of the Drifta kitchen tha Rob & Carol mentioned recently. Got any photos that you can up load? - saw your others recently.

I used to have a drop down table on the bigger of the barn doors on the GU, but it had to go when I finally forked out for some roller bearing drawers. Could'nt shut the door with the drawer system in place.

What I do use, depending on space, numbers tavelling, etc, is a proper tretle table as well as the card table(s). It is v heavy, v stable &
v practical. I bought it for about $ 100 on sale at Officeworks. It's 1800 mm long.I chuck it up on the roof rack, or I strappped it on top of the Cavalier camper top when we had that.

Then I floated the table problem with Paul from Back Pack SA. He has , following my concept, now built a table that sits in an envelope on top of the drawer system. That way , you can still load on top, but get to the table without unpacking everything.

Melissa, I didn't wanna say all this originally, as I wanted to hear other responses. But in for a penny, as they say.

Everyone, get creative:-))))))

Rick
AnswerID: 8188

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Rick,

I'll have to go thru some old photo's to see what I can find. No longer have the unit as it fell apart on the last legs of our Pilbara trip last year (that's what prompted the installation of the camp kitchen in the trailer). In it's defense, we'd been using it for 7 yrs under some pretty rough conditions. It was OK in the 4WD's because I had attached handles to the sides so we could tie it down. Last few years it just sat at the very back of the trailer where it copped a hammering getting bounced around etc.

Trestle table idea sounds viable for a big, sturdy table. Bunnings is selling the legs so if you were so inclined you could attach your own top. Might save a bit of money too. We're thinking of doing this for extra table space when the family are staying for Xmas.

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 3900

Sponsored Links