PTO Winch

Submitted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 18:59
ThreadID: 22778 Views:1995 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I was out on some tracks the other day and decided to run out the winch and re seat the cable as it has been a long time since it was used.

I thought PTO winches went for ever. I was wrong.
Had a bit of trouble getting the cable to spool back on properly and were winching back and forth for about 1/2 hour. it was up a hill that I knew i could drive but would normally have taken a second look before heading up so it was fairly steep

Anyway the winch blew a foofoo valve, that is green, coolant looking stuff blew all over the bonnet. Got a tad hot I guess. Does anybody know what is actually in these things (and do they really need all of it) If they do where do you put it? How do you get it in there? And is there anything else i should do?

Cheers Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dindy - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:37

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:37
batboy

where did the green stuff come from, under the bonnet or from the winch unit itself. because it is mechanical and driven from the transfer-case or gearbox by a shaft it should be lubricated by some sort of gear oil. if so you should be able to refill it unles you have done some severe internal damage and busted the casing or a seal or something else and let the lubricant out. does it have some sort of breather like on your diffs?
AnswerID: 110352

Follow Up By: dindy - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:46

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:46
just a thought, is the winch possibly hydraulicly driven from a pump attached to motor. could explain all that green fluid.
FollowupID: 366885

Follow Up By: Batboy - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:55

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:55
Hey Dindy thanks for the reply.
Winch is definately PTO and not hydraulic

Green stuff came from breather valve located on righthand side of winch as looking at it from front of vehicle
FollowupID: 366889

Reply By: dindy - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 21:09

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 21:09
what make of winch is it. try to locate servicing and lubrication specs perhaps on the net. does it make uncomfortable noises when operating? if not may just need to replace lubricant and make sure that breather is unblocked. have you drowned it recently. water and oil don't go you know!
AnswerID: 110359

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 23:47

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 23:47
If you have fluid coming out the breather it is probably over filled. If it's green it's possibly got water in it. Most PTO winches use ordinary HD gear oil. At the bottom of the winch gear box undo the the drain plug & dump the oil. If it's contaminated flush out with diesel then refill through the filler plug at the rear of the gear box. (depending on make) They don't normally take much. Less than a litre.
Don't forget to lubricate the prop shaft as well.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 110566

Sponsored Links