Not another car dealer story!!!!!

Submitted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 21:23
ThreadID: 22789 Views:2754 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just finished doing the 200 000k service on the '95 model 2.8d Hilux. Purchase this vehicle 6mths ago with 195000k on the clock and was supposed to be fully serviced especially being and ex Q-Fleet vehicle. I noticed that slowly the poor old gal started to lose some power and blowing smoke. Dropped all oils and they were all fine. Then surprise surprise, the airfilter is as black as the ace of spades then to my horror I find a date on the inside of the filter 07/01/03, not too bad considering the oil filter was dated 12 mths earlier. ( I only said that the oils were fine). And this is from a fully serviced gov vehicle, so the handbook service manual states. Then put everything new into the 4by and she goes like a charm, not even a puff of smoke. Thought that buying of a so called reputable 4x4 dealer up here in Townsville that they could of at least changed the obvious before I took delivery. I should have changed everything as soon as I got it home, but took them at their word, STUPID me. One good thing to come out of the deal thou was that they paid me top dollar for my old heap of junk 4by that I would have had to pay someone to take away on a private sale. It is still in their car yard!!!!!!!hahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: age - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 07:23

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 07:23
You have been really worked over - the gov (I work for them) dispose of vehicles at 40-50000km and only ever keep them for 3 years tops. The gov would have sold your vehicle to "someone else" in 1998 with 50000km on the clock. Yes it would have been fully serviced etc as is mandatory for when leasing vehicles under the system used - not sure how a filter dated 03 can be in a vehicle that is a 95 model ? - another case of the fact that this vehicle floated around for a long time being abused and serviced with old filters by someone other than whom the dealer has told you. I would be slamming the dealer as you have been lied to on many fronts.
AnswerID: 110379

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 10:09

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 10:09
Hi,

If that was the case with gov vehicles, then why in the First three yrs of this utes life did it miss the 5000, 10000, 15000, 25000,35000, and 45000k services as stated in the service manual. Didn't know this at the time as I didn't have the manuals. Taken out while on display in the car yard and then couldn't find them straight away. Got them a little while ago. I know that I am the 3rd owner of the vehicle as it is hard to find what I wanted when I wanted it. Just that the caryard ( Townsville 4WD Centre) had told me that the vehicle had been serviced and everthing changed when I took delivery of it. When I inspected the vehicle there were a couple of things that needed to be fixed up on which they did do, so I took them at their word, but wouldn,t you change at least the obvious!!! I did keep everything as I still have 6mths to go on warranty but I don't know my luck with them now. I have heard other bad reports about their warranty claims, not good.
FollowupID: 366924

Follow Up By: age - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:56

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:56
Toy_Hilux

Often dealers will not stamp log book of QFleet vehicles and many are sold without books. Qfleet pass on huge penalties to leasing client if not serviced and mainained by the book. I can understand 1 missed service, but never this many - the vehicle would be taken back by Qfleet and lease terminated and client fined shortfall. Qfleet have computersised system monitoring every vehicle/service schedules/condition/fuel usage. Only vehicles ever held onto for that period by Qfleet are heavy trucks etc, where to return value for money they need to do many km's

I would ask your dealer just where this vehicle was for the past 4 years, as it has racked up a lot of km's and obviously not been looked after - all sounds suss - Ring QFleet and ascertain the vehicle history, maybe I am totally wrong, but it would be a rare case for Qleet to hold a vehicle so long.
FollowupID: 366937

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 13:30

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 13:30
Don't know where you work, but up here where we are our Qfleet vehicles quite regulary miss every second service (work for a Gov Dept. too). We don't have the luxury of a computerized system for the vehicles just yet, it is coming, it is still done the old way of paper work and log books and are kept for up to 80000ks at times and sometimes 5yrs. I did state that I am the third owner as the second owner was a local who did do a lot of driving. Qfleet did in fact sell this car in 1998 at an auction in Townsville. It is not that, that I was complaining about, but the fact that buying off a dealership (in Dec 2004) that stated that they had serviced the vehicle before being sold, and I still find dates like these on the most obvious of all parts. I on the other hand, when it comes to servicing, I go to the extremes and replace everything except the airfilter (unless very dirty) which is cleaned, at 5000k intervals and airfilter at 10000k intervals. Overkill I know, but never had a motor let me down yet.
FollowupID: 366948

Reply By: Steve - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 07:58

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 07:58
reveal the dealer. Why protect them?
AnswerID: 110384

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 16:18

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 16:18
I bought a Q-Fleet hilux in 2001. There were 3 on display and I looked at the log books and there was only one that had all the service schedules entered in the book. The other two only had one entry and they all had about 45,000k on them. I chose the one with all the service entries and had no towbar. From this I gathered that the Q-Fleet servicing was pretty slack.
AnswerID: 110470

Sponsored Links