Tanami road

Submitted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 23:54
ThreadID: 22792 Views:2077 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am planing to travel from Halls Creek to allice springs. How many days do i need to cound on?
And which is nicer to go to litchfield national park or mitchells plat waterfalls?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 00:05

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 00:05
Halls Creek to Alice via the Tanami Track I presume ? Do it over 2 days, easy. One very long day if its an emergency, but not recommended.
AnswerID: 110376

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 07:54

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 07:54
Johannes
Litchfield Nat Park is easily accessible as you head away from Darwin.
Mitchell Falls is an stunning place but getting there is difficult and will take several extra days even if you are travelling along the Gibb River Rd. There are some sight seeing flights from the major centres, and you may even be able to get choppered in, but that is expensive.
My feeling would be that for a tourist with limited time and resources Litchfield would be a better option. If you have the time and commitment then drive to Mitchell Falls. Bear in mind that water flows (and access) are seasonal.
AnswerID: 110383

Reply By: locallaw - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:13

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 11:13
Gidday,The road into Mitchell Falls (IMO) was the worst road I have ever driven on.Two purpose built camper trailers had to be trucked out after their susp collapsed.These trailers had ind coil spring and shock systems.One trailer lost a coil spring that was never found.The Tanami is a very easy trip and call in and see Bruce Farrand at the Rabbit Flat Roadhouse (Australias most desolate roadhouse).His wife is a talented painter and is French born.
It is a long walk into the Mitchell Falls from the parking area or you could take a helicopter flight over them. Litchfield is a far easier place to get to.
Hope this helps a bit,
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 110411

Reply By: 10 Para (Qld) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:58

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:58
Do not be fooled by the Tanami Track as it can be quite severe went through last august and found it every bit as tough as the Gibb River road which we had done a few weeks earlier it all depends on the rain and how the track is i spoke to a local stn owner on the road and he told me the 3 weeks before we travel it it was just a good as the black top however it had just done his rear axle on a ford 250 so ckeck it out in the Alice or hall creek and go from there.
AnswerID: 110644

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 22:31

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 22:31
We took 4 days and camped out 3 nights taking it easy travelling from Alice to Halls Creek towing our 17ft van, that includes spending a night at Wolfe Creek Crater. Not towing and not spending a night at WCk crater then 2 days 1 night should be ok depends on what your driving. Enjoy
AnswerID: 111865

Sponsored Links