Turbo on a GQ

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2005 at 07:19
ThreadID: 22793 Views:2446 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone..... since buying our camper trailer in January we now seem to NEVER be at home on the weekends! And now we are planning bigger trips for the next two or three years, as well as weekend "local" jaunts, I am noticing the lack of a turbo on our Patrol. My brother-in-law, who is in the car business but not strictly into 4 wheel drives, says he can access a second hand turbo from Japan, import it here and rebuild it, fit it and set it up and save me quite a few bucks! Well, I'm keen as to save money!!! So my question is this; what is the best/usual/most common turbo brand/model to fit to a 95 TD42? Are there any modifications needed to the engine? (B-I-L thinks we may have to do some work to the head??) Existing manifold ok or do we have to source a "special"? What Boost is optimum and can too much boost do damage?

Thanks in advance guys!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 12:35

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 12:35
Brian,
I had a 93 GQ and had a Safari Turbo installed. It was a Garrett turbo, but not sure what the model/size was etc. It was a straight bolt on job as far as I know. They had to move the air filter from lengthwise over the inlet mainifold, to crossways, over the back of the tappet cover. They supplied a cross-over pipe from the turbo to the inlet manifold (which you are going to need in addition to the turbo itself).

My advice would be to seek a professional fitter to put it on. They are high tech units and need to be set-up properly to be of any benefit. The fuel pump settings need to be altered and it would be preferrable to have the injectors tweaked as well.

Speaking of air filters, I have often wondered why the GQ needed 2 filters? The GU I now own only has one air filter, about the same size as the pre-filter was on the old GQ. I reckon if I was converting a GQ today, I would probably opt to do away with the main air filter assembly altogether as it is a bloody nuisance.

As far as boost is concerned, the standard turbo fitted to the GU runs at maximum boost of about 9psi. I had mine checked over and modified slightly by that diesel place in the NSW southern highlands. They made a minor modification to the small rubber hose on the turbo and it now shows maximum boost of almost 12psi. I have only become aware of this when I recently fitted a boost gauge. I was curious about what would happen if that rubber hose alteration was disabled, so I pulled it off the air filter housing and whacked a bolt in it temporarily and the max boost was then down to 9psi.

Turbos are great, but you need to get it done right the first time.

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 110427

Follow Up By: flappa - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 12:56

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 12:56
I agree.

If your BIL , cant tell you what you need , then don't.

Get it done properly.

Expensive fix to have a broken Diesel.

My old man also had a Safari System (Garret Turbo) fitted to his Maverick.

I believe Safari now use Schwitzer (sp) Turbo's ?
FollowupID: 366942

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 17:46

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 17:46
I believe you guys have just given me some great advice...... which is exactly why I posted on this forum!

After reading the responses SWMBO and I have decided to wait and have a brand new system installed.

Thanks guys!
FollowupID: 366990

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 13:12

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 13:12
Theres more to it than just the snail..

Crossover pipes, manifold, etc.. Then you have to get these to match the snail you got cheap...

If your on the cheap, call soem of the bigger turbo places, they are doing $1000-1500 for Ex- GENUINE GU Turbo systems, that people are replacing with the good kit aftermarket gear.. Dude in Qld on OLimits seems to get hold of a lot of these for "mates"

And your well and truly better off to have someone who knows their crap set it up or it can cost you 100's by so called experts. Installation you can do yourself, theres not really anything to it IF you get a kit, like the Denco DTS, AXT, or Safari but safari wont sell to you to install yourself.
AnswerID: 110435

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:04

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:04
I believe you guys have just given me some great advice...... which is exactly why I posted on this forum!

After reading the responses SWMBO and I have decided to wait and have a brand new system installed.

Thanks guys!
AnswerID: 110491

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 12:48

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 12:48
Have you thought about supercharging at all???
FollowupID: 367965

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 17:35

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 17:35
yeah, too expensive so far!
FollowupID: 368015

Sponsored Links