4 ton hand pullers

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2005 at 14:30
ThreadID: 22806 Views:2024 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Has anybody used the cheap hand winches around in cheap auto shops or on ebay they generally retail for about $40 to $60.

I know that the maximum length of pull will only be 3 metres as that is the length of cable supplied.

Have you used one in anger?

I'm thinking this may be good for a small to medium 4wd such as a Frontera
and cost effective when compared to a Tirfor.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 14:50

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 14:50
if you are talking about what I am thinking then they are not a recovery winch but just a winch for pulling your boat onto the trailor or hoisting your roof rack off etc. I doubt if they will handle much more
AnswerID: 110454

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 14:52

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 14:52
I had to use one on my mates sierra a little while back- it was the black rat one.

It partially served its purpose- that was, where the car was parked, If we didnt have someone sitting on the front corner of the car, it would have rolled over and down this huge hill. After the winch was attached and tight, we didnt have to have someone sitting on the car.

The sierra, as light as it is, still needed a fair amount of force to be put on the stumpy handle of the winch for it to move- even when we did winch the car to the maximum pull of the wire rope, we were still stuffed. The car was in no way able to be chocked while we reset the chain and winch cable. Even attaching a chain or straps to the car made it roll back about as far as we had winched it before everything was taut and the car held still.
The only use we found for that type of cable puller was to hold a car in a safe position whilst you prepare another car for a snatch.
In the mud I imagine they would be great because you generally just need to break suction or move a few metres, and you could chock the wheels to stop the car rolling back to its initial position. On a hill, as we found, is a very different story. Its a good cheap product, but I would (and did) invest in a real winch- or at least one with more than just a few metres of pull before you have to reset it all.
AnswerID: 110455

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:51

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:51
We used one to skull drag a Rodeo out of a bog...(on a tight bend with trees causing problems for a snatch) Case of "what do you mean you thought I packed the tirfor?" A paserby had one of those puny $40 jobs and it worked a treat. It said NOT to use an extention handle with it... One bar for lowering the spare from under the Rodeo and about 300 cable ties later, the effort was significantly reduced.
AnswerID: 110502

Sponsored Links