Not guilty any more

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2005 at 16:06
ThreadID: 22811 Views:1561 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I've been a visitor for a few weeks since stumbling onto the site while searching for 4WD info on the net. I've had some great advice from members in that short time. Then a heap of others signed up over the past week or so, which increased my feeling of guilt (Strawbs, Jezza, GlennD, Wilgadene, noseyp, to name a few).

So now I'm a paid up member as well and don't feel guilty any more.

Anyone else out there feeling guilty (or should)?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 16:10

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 16:10
Whoa!!!

David & Michelle are going to be able to retire soon!!!!

Good work.....

Wolfie
AnswerID: 110467

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:17

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:17
>David & Michelle are going to be able to retire soon!!!!

There tires look alright. Why would they want to retire?
FollowupID: 366993

Reply By: D-Jack - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:38

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:38
Norm

I for one don't feel guilty. I take what I can from the forum, contrinute every now and then, but if I paid for every website I looked at I would be even more broke than I am now. If you felt guilty and now feel better by signing up, then you did the right thing. The way I see it, and correct me if I'm wrong, a developer sets up a web site and entices people to use it. He or she gets sponsors who pay so that those using the sight will respond to their advertising. This is a great site, but if payment was compulsory I would surely find something else to fill my time (or another site - I've seen plenty of other good ones out there). For those that want to pay, good on them for supporting something that they feel led to support. I for one don't.

I probably shouldn't have said that because I am about to post a new thread and ask a question!

D-Jack
AnswerID: 110534

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:46

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:46
I'm with you D-Jack

I normally get paid for my knowledge - I give it freely to the people on this site to take or leave as they choose - I don't feel the need to donate to a commercial operation for that opportunity.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 367028

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:57

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:57
I chose to join in July last year because I thought it was the right thing to do and didn't understand how forums worked.

I won't be renewing because I have since found that other forums are free and offer such benefits as; member messaging, posting photos, advertising etc etc without a charge.

I'm with Mike, I try to add value to this forum (and that's debatable) without asking for compensation. Without all of us offering opinions and advice, any forum would be useless. To pay money to have the privelege of helping others doesn't make sense.

I would also point out that the owners of this forum do not insist anyone become a member. All are welcome. However, the restictions placed on non members are out of sync with the services offered by other free forums.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 367036

Reply By: 10 Para (Qld) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:53

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:53
If no one paid it would not be here
AnswerID: 110642

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:38

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:38
>If no one paid it would not be here

I doubt you have any factual support for that statement.

I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd (the company which operates this website) is not a publicly listed company so it's accounts are not open to scrutiny which means unless the private shareholders choose to tell you you have no way of finding out it's profit each year.

Many other websites operate by generating income through advertisements; this one can, and does, do the same.

Keep in mind that www.cricky.com (also a subscription site - but you got rather more for it than from this site) was recently sold for A$1 million. I have no idea of the value of this site (only the market would show that) but I'll bet we're talking hundreds of thousands.

If you would care to make a donation to my P/L company each year I'd be very happy to receive it.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 367111

Sponsored Links