Explorer Accessories

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:06
ThreadID: 22817 Views:2531 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Evening All
We are currently planning a trip to the Kimberlys next year and the in-laws have decided to come. The father in-law drives a 2004 model Ford explorer and is trying to source a winch compatible bullbar, long range tank, snorkel and a suspension upgrade for the trip. We are having a lot of trouble finding these items. I have asked the usual companies such as ARB, Opposite Lock etc but they have said that these items are just not available for an Explorer.
Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any companies that supply the above for the current model Explorer. He has approached the Ford dealer where he purchased the vehicle but they have proved very unhelpful.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:41

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:41
Greetings Leith

I would suggest the following. ( One off trip for the father in law )

1. Upgrade shock absorbers to good quality brand eg koni or similiar
2. Check ride height to make sure springs have not sagged
2. Install suitable front and rear recovery points
3. Perhaps Poly Airs under the rear suspension to cater for the extra load
4. UHF CB radio
5. recovery gear (one vehicle needs to carry a hand winch etc)
6. Suitable LT rated tyres
7. Suitable vehicle spares
8 Cargo barrier and tie down points.

Bull bar and snorkel are not really necessary. Michells Sacks helles Sacksis having a special on wading bras. A couple of 20 litre jerry cans, filled only when necessary, good vehicle preperation and a one day 4wd training course and all should be well with two vehicles going and a good dose of caution and care.

If you wish to take a 12 volt fridge (Engel/Waeco) look at carrying a second battery rather than installing one. The Engel and Waeco web sites have options for this.

My thoughts.


AnswerID: 110498

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:43

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:43

Michelles sacks URL http://www.michellessacs.com.au/specials.htm


FollowupID: 366995

Follow Up By: Member - Leith H (NSW) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:07

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:07
Thanks for the comments Paul.
The father in-law actually drives a Nissan Patrol daily for work but he just cant believe the lack of accessories available for his explorer. The reason for the snorkel etc is because he is planning on doing more trips such as Cape York etc so he is trying to set it up properly.
I have already advised him to trade and get a Landcruiser or Patrol, but that didnt go down too well.
FollowupID: 366998

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:54

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 18:54
Gday Leith

Try lovells for the suspension I do not know if they have it for a 2004 modal but , The front suspension is still torsion bar so you can wind them up about 40mm the back has coil spring’s so you could use spacer’s if nothing is available. Try USA sites.

Have you thought about getting a custom b/bar made for it?
Snorkel, forget about it they are a custom job on a explorer.
Long range tank you can buy one for 1996 to 2001 modals I think, but after that?
With good fuel planing and some jerry’s you should be OK

I take it is the 4.6 V8 which are pretty thirsty but has loads of go

AnswerID: 110503

Follow Up By: Member - Leith H (NSW) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:10

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:10
Thanks Exploder
Your right it is the V8, it is a bit thirsty but he also going to be towing an offroad van so it is well and truly up to the task.
FollowupID: 367000

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:25

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:25
Leith are you really going to get the in-laws taking their Ford swimming? Baz (Redback) took his in a bit deep and it drowned and now has a 4by that is better capable of swimming with a snorkel. Not a Ford but a Landie.

In short he couldn't get one, but you can always get a replacement filter if all you are worried about is dust. You should be able to buy quite a few for the cost of a snorkel. Snorkels are to ensure you keep the intake away from water. Check up the Explorer fording depth, it may be good enough, but the strong bullbar is a different story with airbags to cope with. Does your father in-law need the winch, why not you? You could always buy a Brawn portable to share if you need it.....
AnswerID: 110510

Follow Up By: Member - Leith H (NSW) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:37

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:37
Thanks John
Yes I kept track of Baz's troubles a while back. The snorkel would be for both water and dust.
He already owns a winch off a previous car but just needs a bar to fit it.
I already have a winch/recovery gear etc so there is no real problem, he would just like to have his vehicle "set up".
FollowupID: 367008

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 20:54

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 20:54
Just spotted this may be worth looking into if he is serious about it.

4wheelerssupply.com, has a 4 inch lift for 2003 explorers by Superlift USA, the 2003/2004 models have the same suspension set up I THINK so it should fit, It all comes down to how much Green he want’s to spend.

The Kit is $1765 US.

AnswerID: 110524

Sponsored Links