camping at woolfe creek meteorite crater

Submitted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:15
ThreadID: 22847 Views:2805 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All
Just after some info from anybody who has done the tanami track. I've looked at a number of websites and 1 I looked at said you could camp at woolfe creek meteorite crater and then others have said you can't. If you can't is the closest camping spot sturt creek?
Also does anybody know if Billiluna roadhouse is open on a Saturday.
We head out for a 6 week trip beginning of June with 3 kids under 6. Sure is going to be interesting.
Kate
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:21

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:21
Now, how cool would it be, if you could like actually camp inside the crater.

It would have to be one of the safest spots on the planet, 'cause I reckon the chances of another meteorite, coming to earth, in our lifetime, and hitting the EXACT same spot, would be pretty remote.

It's low enough not to be terribly dangerous to be struck by lightning, the howling wind would probably pass right over you, and there is less chance of UV exposure, because you don't like get all of the sun.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 110621

Follow Up By: barnzzi - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:35

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:35
Yes that would be pretty awsome camping in the crater, however I was thinking in the general area around the crater, I don't think our pajero would have enough herbs to pull the camping trailer over the rim.
Thank you for your sense of humour though.
Kate
FollowupID: 367087

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:26

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:26
Hi Kate
we were up there last year and there was a reasonable camping area with pit toilet, but no other facilties, a few hundred metres from the crater.
From memory Billinuna was opened Sat mornings only.
Have a great trip and give the kids plenty of time to play.
Cheers
Bigbear
AnswerID: 110623

Follow Up By: Member - Bigbear - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:34

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:34
Make that open 9-11am Saturdays for Billiluna, with a fee of at least $15 to open outside of normal hours, but only during daylight, won't open at night
cheers
FollowupID: 367085

Reply By: barnzzi - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:38

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:38
Thanks bigbear for info, we would have been getting there Saturday arvo, that's O.K., becuase i think I read Rabbit Flat is open on Saturday. So we can get fuel there.
Kate
AnswerID: 110628

Reply By: 10 Para (Qld) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:45

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:45
Hi, we aere there last August and also wanted to camp at the crater but found the track so hard to get in we turned around half way as the light was failing and went onto to Stuart Creek which was under road works and the usual camp spot was in the middle of the road works so we camped just north turned of after the bridge north side to the right and followed the track to the river and found quite a good spot if you use this one make sure u pull right off the track as water trucks use it to load water from the river and they have habit of starting at first light, good to get the fire in you berry at 5,30am
AnswerID: 110640

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:36

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:36
Kate

I am a bit surprised at some of the responses about camping at Wolfe Creek. We were there in August 2003, and given its in the middle of nowhere I reckon its a beaut site. We stayed two nights. Have a look at a couple of photos at

http://au.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janmax2002au/album?.dir=86b1&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//au.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

if you like. There are the usual WA remote camp ground facilities, fire places, long drops and a camp ground host from memory - not sure about water but I think so. It only five minutes drive or 20 minutes walk to the crater, which occupied us for an afternoon.

The track in is the usual corrugations, dust and potholes that you will have seen a million times by the time you have gone up the track. Just go slow - you are on holidays!

There is another good camp site at Renahen's bore on the way up the Tanami - a well and shelter, plenty of firewood and a sense of being out nowhere if you don't happen to want to stay at Rabbit Flat. You can get fuel at Tilmouth Well (its a road house and was open on a Sunday), and at Yuendumu where we bought fuel also on Sunday. Rabbit Flat is only open the four days including the weekend, and you should make it to Hall's Creek from there - its only about 500 km.

The kids will love the wide open spaces and the big starry skies - have a ball!

Max
AnswerID: 110661

Follow Up By: Lyds - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 20:19

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 20:19
nice photos Max
FollowupID: 367137

Follow Up By: barnzzi - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 09:37

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 09:37
Hi Max
Thanks for photos, they looked great. Good to see you got to the crater with a camping trailer in tow. We aren't to concerned about rough'in it, and sounds like as long as you take it steady along the track it should be fine.
Kate
FollowupID: 367196

Reply By: Harry - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 22:27

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 22:27
You can camp at Woolfe ck, but if there was any wind about you'd get it really good there and go slow going in, the corrugations on the Tanami are easy compared to going into Woolfe ck, we saw one vehicle with a camper turn around and head back. Anyway you need to try for yourself and it is a fabulous spot to visit.
If you camp at Renehans bore,( on the Tanami) go left of the tank and in about 250m, theres a clear spot, enough for 4 camps, well clear of the Tanami, but collect wood before you get there, it's very sparse around that spot.
You can also camp at Mt Doreen if you aren't making good time, that's a track off to your right just when you notice it. look on your map it's marked. Old mining area, worth a sticky beek.It's about 45/50k past Yeundumu. There's plenty of firewood there.
Sturt ck was in the midst of road construction just as someone else mentioned, but that might all be done by now, just follow the instructions, it's grassy and there's washing up water in the ck.
Ave a great trip
AnswerID: 110929

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 22:26

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 22:26
Bililuna workshop (no roadhouse here) that sells petrol is open till 11am Sat. Supposed to be a $15 call out fee after that, Big Bad John lives just up the raod a bit at No 14(?) (it's written on the workshop wall) will happily serve you after that, didn't charge us a fee last Sat at 11.10 WAtime. ULP Fuel here is $2.00 litre so maybe you'll want to stock up at Rabbit Flat at $1.80 litre. Nice camping area at the crater. Remember to reduce tyre pressures and slow down and you should have no problem on the Tanami or the road into the crater, we came thru a few days ago and had no problem towing our 17ft van thru here. Enjoy.
AnswerID: 111863

Sponsored Links