GU auto locking hubs

Submitted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 21:37
ThreadID: 22872 Views:1588 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Had the horrible occurence of an unknown noise coming from the patrol the other day. Noise was coming from a front wheel when cold, but when slowing down there was a clunk from the front somewhere, and the wheel noise would go away. This was only happening when the car was cold.

Dropped the GU in to the mechanic last night, and he rang today to say it was definitely the hubs. I'm away from town for a couple of days, so told him to look in to what repairs are neccesary and to get back to me when I get back.

Just looking for some expert opinions on what I might need to get done while he has the vehicle, or any hints as to what not to get done.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troll83 - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 06:35

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 06:35
I would get rid of the auto locking hubs and replace the whole setup with ARB air lockers....thats what I got and no dramas and it will take you anywhere
AnswerID: 110749

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 10:39

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 10:39
Gday Troll83,
I think you're talking about 2 entirely different things. Ol' mate is talking about his hub locks being stuffed. The Air Locker is a cross-axle diff lock which prevents a wheel with little or no traction from spinning uselessly, while the other wheel which is hard on the ground gets no power sent it's way.

As for the hubs, I switched mine over to AVM manual hubs and still have the Nissan auto hubs. If you want my Nissan hubs, they'll be yours for $100- plus postage.....let me know.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 367219

Reply By: JamieMac - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 10:05

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 10:05
There might be a cheap solution. If this is the same problem I have seen before!

If you have one hub in 'Lock' (intentionally or if it is jammed somehow) and the other in 'Auto' with the car in 2WD it will make an awful noise. Lock both hubs or engage 4WD to see if the noise stops. Sound changes with speed and you should definitely be able to isolate which hub it is by the noise or alternatly by locking each hub.

Hub selector rotates continuously in either direction so try freeing it up by giving it a couple of laps. either way.

Hope this helps
JamieMac
AnswerID: 110778

Sponsored Links