Question on the $330 Landcruiser storage drawers?

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2289 Views:9203 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone who bought the $330 storage drawers for the landcruiser fitted theirs to the 80 series yet.Mine are arriving this week and am wondering on quality and ease of adapting them for the 80 series. Any thoughts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve L - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
Charlie,

I have received my drawers, but not yet installed them. Have had a good look at the pieces, and for the money (or even more!) they look pretty good and solid. I've heard of one complaint about the bolts used to attach the base to the car coming loose after sone rough driving - but either better/longer bolts or the use of spring washers seems to have resolved this.

As far as modifying them for the 80 (which I also have to do), it basically entails cutting around 1cm off the outer edge of each top deck piece - they are shaped for the 100 and so don't quite line up and are also a little too wide. One of the base mounting brackets also needs two holes drilled to match the holes in an 80 rather than the outboard holes in the 100.

I am also modifying my full cargo barrier to ensure everything fits, by lengthening the lower brackets and pushing the barrier right up against the rear seat (apparently there's around 25mm space between the unit and the seat backs). 'Speaking' (on another forum) to a number of people who have already fitted the units, there is some leeway to move the drawer unit around a bit (e.g. move the drawers further towards the back by 2-4 cm) by drilling more holes in the uprights. I have also seen one guy who has spent around $60 on some steel, angle, and extra bearings and made one part of the top deck into a fridge slide!

Due to lack of time for the next 2 weeks, I won't get a chance to do anything with my drawers until around the 17th, so if you get in first I'd be interested in your comments.

Regards, Steve
AnswerID: 8197

Follow Up By: Charlie - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Steve,

That sort of information is invaluable. I like to know what sort of difficulties can be encountered in a job before I start. I will probably get a chance to start on the drawers tommorrow. They arrived today but haven't had a look at them yet. The idea of getting larger bolts etc. sounds like a good idea as the last thing you need when on a rough track is your gear bouncing around in the drawers that are supposed to hold it down.

Will let you know how it goes.

Charlie
FollowupID: 3898

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

This wont help you, but theres a few that have installed into the GU Patrol.

With the ST, you have to hack the cargo barrier... with the DX etc, without the layed back seats, you can get away with it... With both you have to trim the sides of the units too..

There is a How To for the GU around if anyone needs one, mail me.

HTH someone.
AnswerID: 8206

Follow Up By: Allyn (member) - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

mate of mine bought some for his GU.
Could you send me details please Truckster (allyn@wn.com.au)
FollowupID: 3909

Follow Up By: Pete - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Truckster,
Can I get a look at the how to for the GU as wel if you dont mind.
many thanks
Pete
FollowupID: 3912

Follow Up By: Derek - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Charlie. I don't know if you know, but the floor in the back of an 80 series is not in one plane. Remove your floormat and check this out before you start fitting the drawers. I had to fit packers to 3 corners to get the drawers to sit level. Mine is '95 model. Happy fitting and don't forget to tell the Missus that you will need a new drill, a cordless drill, some hole saws, a router and a mig welder to do the job. Xmas is coming and a man can never have enough toys. Good luck.
FollowupID: 3921

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

For those that asked for the GU.

Took me around 5 hours but they are finally in. To get it to fit, I had to:

1. Remove the 4 tie down points,

2. Trim 10mm from either end of the section 6,

3. Move section 1 forward approx 65mm to pick up the child restraint
points and drill holes to secure the front of the drawers,

4. Cut the drivers side mounting point of section 2 back so it is flush
with section 5 (keep the passengers side mounting point),

5. Move section 2 forward approx 15mm to pick up the rear left and rear
right tie down points and drill holes to secure the rear of the drawers,

6. Cut approx 30mm from brackets 9a +9b (I haven't done brackets 8a + 8b yet as you will have to cut off the captive nuts to fit),

7. Install and fit sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and brackets 9a + 9b
including drawer stops,

8. Fit sections 10 and 11. I found 10 was a very tight fit and sits flush
with the left rear door,

9. Trim approx 75-90mm from section 12b. I did this by starting at the
front (at section 6) of the cargo system and measuring from the centreline of section 4 to the drivers side trim and then slowly work rearward taking measurements as I went. It was very easy to do in the end. One I got all the measurements, peel back carpet and cut it all, I measured section 13b and cut section 12b to accommodate,

10. Trimmed the carpet and reglued using spray adhesive. Installed
section 12b onto cargo system,

11. Do the same for section 12a. I haven't allowed for the installation
of section 13a yet until I decide what to do about brackets 8a + 8b.

12. Everything should be done.

Things that I noticed:

a. Most holes line up except for sections 12a and 12b. Some of the holes
are misaligned and may need redrilling. Use a screwdriver pushed into the hole and leverage to align.
b. Back of cargo system just touches the back seat.
c. Front of cargo system just touches the rear doors at section 10 and 11.
d. I don't like the huge holes in section 7 that house the drawer locks.
Will have to think up a better system (too much play),
c. Have lots of bandaids on hand - I think I cut myself about 23 times.

Have fun
Regards
David Christensen
http://home.gil.com.au/~david/
AnswerID: 8226

Reply By: charlie - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Finally got mine in today. Total fitment time approx. 3.5 hours. I agree with the bloody cutting of the finger and hands. It looks like I've been cleaning the insinkerator with it on. Anyway found that it is really important to make sure everything is square before getting it into the car. I found with mine that at the rear it was flush with left side but had a gap of about 10 mm on the right. I think this is due to it being slightly out of alignment when I put it together on the ground.

The rest of the install went pretty well, not mentioning the tight spaces for tightening the 8 and 9 brackets. I found also that with a striaght saw it was possible to get a pretty good fit by cutting a triangle off the front corners of 12 a and b, about 30 mm in and about 150mm along. ( up to the next curve in the wood. Cutting and glueing the marine carpet was fairly easy. The last three bolts of 12b though didn't quite line up so used a screwdriver in the holes and a bit of gentle persuasion to get them to.

All told, a pretty easy job with some fiddly bits and some painful sawing. (I hate cutting up things that are brand new). For the money though it was cheap at twice the price. They seem pretty sturdy so far, I took the cruiser for a bash on some currogated dirt near home and the only noise was from the tie downs. I will try to post some pics in the next few days. Good luck with yours and thanks for all the help. Hope to see you out there. You'll know me I'll be the one with the white TD Cruiser with the big smile on my face showing everyone who'll listen my $330 storage drawers.

Cheers,

Charlie.

AnswerID: 8268

Reply By: Member - Greg - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Guys,
I installes mine today into 100 series.All went OK still took me about 5 hours, could have done with a few more pickies however everything
fitted like a glove...come to think of it I WISH I had a glove on sometimes because my hand looks like it was cleaning the insinkerator also..also with it turned on..I havn't been anywhere yet however I also recon they would be cheap at double the price..Very Happy
Regards Greg g
AnswerID: 8277

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
From the Patrol list for GQ installation..

Well got my 100s Landbarge draws fitted to the shorty the other day. Jeez they are a tight fit the 2 outside uprights just fit between the wheel
arches, but we managed to use most of the factory bolt holes. ones we had to drill where.

1. rear(front of car) anchors (No 1)- used the factory tie down points,
drilled new holes on cross piece.

2. front (rear of car) anchors (No 2)- cut a bit of the right hand side and
drilled apropraite holes. And bolted it to the factory tie downs.

3. All draw upright things (No's 3,4,5)- Had to drill new holls at the rear
of these so they would line up with Number 1.

4. Also on No's 3,5 - The 3rd bearing from the rear of the car needs to be moved back a whole cos it touches the wheel arch.

The only other things we did was cut 2" off the edge of the top boards (may have been less) by first pulling back the carpet so it can latter be glued around the edge and underneath.

The rear bearing we also removed as we decide it does nothing, and as we didn't measure everything to start of with it hit the stoppers with the
draws in and they wouldn't close all the way. So we removed it. It holds no wait anyway.

All the side peices we havn't used yet but may use them on the Right hand side, and leave them off the left so easy access to the jack can still be done.

It is a tight fit but we where able to use most of the factory holes for the
width of the draws. But they do seem to be quite strong as while putting the back peice in (No 6) Dad was kneeling in the draw sliding backwards and forwards and he would have to be about 80-85kg. So I am impressed with them.

Also I got all the bits in one go. And the install job took us about 3hrs with alot of crap being spun during this time (ie, being non-productive).

--
Turps
SWB GQ TD42 Blue/silver
Locked Fr/Rr, pto winch, 33 mud's
AnswerID: 8305

Reply By: Kevin - Friday, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:00
Have a look at www.4wdinteriors.com for a better pic. 80 series std installed more details if youy need them. I can tell you what to do. I just wrote it out & looked up Web site and lost details so its late now but i can tell you later
AnswerID: 8329

Follow Up By: Allyn - Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:00
have a set waiting for me at home and will be fitting them to 80 series in a few weeks. If you have any further tips & experiences that would be great
FollowupID: 4019

Reply By: Kevin - Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:00
As I said b4 80 std and there in. assembled as per instructions but used picks from above site. used 2 tie down pionts in rear and drilled holes in #2 .... drilled holes in #1 and straight through the floor used 1/4" bolts & nylock nuts. ... no cutting to #8 etc as others have described as mine is a std no child restraints. ....#12a/b had to cut 9cm long at back seat end 3cm wide to 0cm after 9cm and thats it . I dont think you need the spaces under #1/2 as it sits up 1cm , probly for carpet modles. Used them last weekend and were brilant, tools & compressor in 1 and other stuff in the other hope this helps. Kevin
AnswerID: 8497

Reply By: Moneypit - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
I know this is a bit of an old thread but could someone tell me where it is that these drawers could be purchased from and whether or not they are still available. Sounds they they might be exactly what i need in the back of the 100 series.

Dave
AnswerID: 10064

Follow Up By: Allyn - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Sorry Mate - these are long gone !
FollowupID: 5266

Follow Up By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Check the tradingpost, sold.com.au, ebay.com.au they are being flogged there now for $1000+!!!

Try Colin at Brawn4x4 in Melbourne, I know he is working on a few systems like these.

Good luck.
FollowupID: 5277

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00

Mine is now in the Truckster, nearly finished, but they are AWESOME.

Had to cut 3in off each top cover, that was it!!
have to make 2 new covers for the top sides, and then if I could be bothered, new covers for the front sides, but then again havent looked 100% at it yet!

Am I happy??

:D
AnswerID: 10082

Sponsored Links