coleman dual fuel stoves

Submitted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 11:03
ThreadID: 22891 Views:6095 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
looking at swapping from gas to coleman duel fuel stove 3 burner and dropped into store last night to check out and sales person had nfi about product.
ive sussed out other info from archives and websites but cple extra questions if anyone can help
do you carry the fuel container(bit that bolts on externally) in the stove for travelling or does it need to be carried separately.
do u need to empty and refill fuel source each time u use(stupid question) but salesperson didnt know answer
assume in stove and if so does it rattle round and wreck inside of stove?
are there any vapours/smell from fuel source while travelling-ie bumpy tracks etc like i get from chainsaw in car?
any bad points about them i should be aware of?
any help appreciated
cheers

fozzy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 11:16

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 11:16
G'day Fozz,

I carry mine with the fuel container inside it. I have some high density foam sponge that I pack inside to stop rattling etc. Making sure fuel valve is off, primer locked and filler cap on well, I have never had any leaks (vapours or liquid) whether it is stowed upright or laying down. I always make sure they are packed well against something soft ie. towel/blanket/tarp to help absorb any vibrations.

The stoves themselves are excellent. Once you have got used to the operation they are so convenient and do a great job. They are also very fuel efficient/convenient and put out a strong flame which is supported by the wind deflectors. I have a two burner. Be aware that both burners do not operate to the same strength together. i.e. one would be the main and one is an auxilliary simmer if you like.

AnswerID: 110794

Reply By: GUPatrol - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 11:19

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 11:19
Fozzy,
I have been using a dual fuel stove for several years now, although mine are two single burner ones, Coleman Sportster (I think).

These stoves are excellent, since the tank is fully sealed and hermetic due to the fact that they need to be pressurised to light them up, they travel without any smell and no you dont need to empty them.

The only consideration would be where do you carry additional fuel, however that consideration applies with gas, gas canisters etc etc.

They work well even in the freezing cold (I tried up to -10) where gas stoves would not even lightup.
If you use shellite (or Coleman fuel) there is no smell, but use petrol and you will get petrol smell.

You no longer will need to pay top dollar for gas refills.

I recommend them without hesitation.

Will
AnswerID: 110795

Follow Up By: Harry - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:46

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:46
Gidaye GU,
Can you still get one of them thar double burners that you have, Sportster you think it might be. anybody else through some light on that one.
Would like one of them to replace my gas. Shellite is definitely the hottest way to go.
If you reply, I thank you now.
Have a great day
FollowupID: 367336

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 23:41

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 23:41
Harry,

It is called Coleman Sporster model 533, it is still being made (in fact is the oldest and original design that used to be made in the 60s).

You can see it here:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=533A700G&categoryid=2020

I also have the dual fuel lantern with two mantles and it runs for hours on end every camp every evening and only gets refueled once a week...

I hope this info helps...
FollowupID: 367351

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 11:55

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 11:55
Fozzy,
I bought a double burner duel fuel stove and used it for a couple of years before deciding it didn't suit all my needs. The second burner will only allow you to keep things simmering, the stove takes up too much room in the vehicle and also on the table when cooking. I then purchased 2 single burner stoves because they are more compact, I only need to get one out if I only need one heat source and I think they produce more heat. I then made up a couple of collapsable wind shields from aluminium sheet and hinged together with piano hinge. They suit me and I find them very good. I carry spare fuel in a 5litre plastic fuel can.
Cheers
AnswerID: 110799

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 12:08

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 12:08
Same reason why I have two single burner ones.
More compact, only need one for a cuppa stop, and if needed both can run at full blast because they are independent.

Also if one brakes you still have the other.

Will
FollowupID: 367231

Follow Up By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 19:02

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 19:02
Ditto here....

The 3-burner has no real heat output from the jets on the outside, the dual-burner has little or no heat from the second jet - but 2 singles burn the house down all weekend.
FollowupID: 367310

Reply By: Rob M- Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 14:33

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 14:33
Fozzy,
I have a coleman 3 burner stove and would highly recommend them. Foam or cardboard will stop any rattling in transit. I carry the tank inside the stove and have never had a leak or smell. The only quirky thing that you will need to get used to is that the middle burner must be used, as this is where the fuel is connected, so if you adjust the temp of the middle burner you will need to adjust the outer burners to compensate. Just think no more blocked jets.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 110827

Follow Up By: Peter Schrader - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 20:14

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 20:14
except it takes ages to make my coffee!
FollowupID: 367322

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 18:58

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 18:58
I have been using my 2 burner Coleman now for over 15 years and I think it is the only way to go.
Very efficient as a litre of ULP goes a very long way.
We travel with its tank full and have never had any problems with fumes or leaks.
The heat output is hotter than gas.
Petrol is so easy to buy and store. If you drive a petrol ULP car you can even syphon fuel out of your petrol tank!
You will need to clean the generator every so often and all I do is rub off the build up of carbon with fine sandpaper and its as good as new! Only takes 5 minutes.
No gas bottles to worry about or gas leaks in the vehicle.
Cheers
AnswerID: 110879

Reply By: Groove - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:46

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:46
I have a single burner model and love it. Hate using ULP, it stinks and I dont think it burns as clean as shellite. With Shellite there is hardly any smell and any spills evaporate quickly and cleanly.

Great gear
AnswerID: 110919

Reply By: awill4x4 - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:57

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:57
I seriously looked at the dual fuel option a few years ago when my old 2 burner Primus LPG bbq finally gave up the ghost. I asked a few people in my 4x4 club about their experiences with dual fuel stoves and most said they wished they had stayed with LPG. A number of people had problems with blocked jets and the smell of ULP was difficult to isolate in the 4x4. In the end I went for a 2 burner Coleman LPG unit and haven't looked back since. The heat output compared to my old Primus one is much better and the size of a 2 burner one is much easier to pack than the huge size of a 3 burner one.
Just my 0.02 cents worth.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 110925

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 01:53

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 01:53
I agree 100% Andrew.

Retired my 3 burner jetted stove for the 2 burner LPG Coleman with electronic ignition and it's the ant's pants.
I use LPG for the barbecue and occasionally, the Camp Oven so it's no bother for me to carry Gas bottles.

My old stove suffered from a bad dose of bulldust and I just couldn't clear the jets.

The new one doesn't have jets to block and although the wind shields "appear" somewhat flimsy, the stove has performed faultlessly for the last 6 trips since I have had it and I am suitably impressed with the instantaneous starting and the amount of control over the burner output from simmer to full bore. And the use of a second burner has no impact on the current setting of the one in use.

The duel fuel may be the answer for those that want to eliminate LPG bottles due to space restrictions but it may be worth pointing out that one can buy a small LPG bottle attachment as an accessory that attaches to the stove.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 367353

Reply By: chappobriz - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 00:02

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 00:02
I recently purchased a 3 burner and did a 3 month trip to Eyre peninsula. Fantastic. Very easy to use and plenty of firepower! CHeap to run. We used shellite at first but now just use ULP. I would highly recommend.
CHappo
AnswerID: 110944

Reply By: Harry - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:37

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 20:37
Are you there GU,
Checked out Coleman site and 533 is a dual fuel lamp and nothing in product lineup shows me what I'm after.
So, can you offer any further assistance.
AnswerID: 111074

Reply By: Swoosh - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 23:09

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 23:09
We have been using the dual fuel cooker now for 2 years and wouldn't use anything else. There is one very important point to note - if the flame goes out with the LPG, the gas supply is automatically shut off. With the dual fuel cooker, petrol vapour continues to escape when the flame goes out. We fanned the vapour away before relighting but BOOM! Up she went in flames. We quickly removed the fuel tank and the flame went out.
NEVER use one inside a tent.
Having said this - they are great!
AnswerID: 111299

Sponsored Links