Which brand of coils

Submitted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 13:11
ThreadID: 22894 Views:1767 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Need to replace and get a 2 inch lift for my new hilux. ARB has new colis spring for the front end which have been made by King springs. I am thinking of getting them or waiting for Lovells to get theirs.

What do people think of the coil spring sold by ARB - setup of the new hilux is based on the Prado front end.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: normc - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 13:36

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 13:36
Don't have an answer for you hound. Just some questions.

What sort of shocks will you use?
What about the rear leaf springs? Will you replace them or insert more leaves?

I assume it is an 05 'Lux you have. I have one too and plan to lift it 40 to 50 mm before I head to the Cape in September. Great truck, but lousey ramp over. Already dented the alloy steps. Getting some super strong steel ones made at the moment.
AnswerID: 110820

Follow Up By: hound - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:56

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:56
Normc,

Will be using Koni shockers/ King or lovellls or ARB springs.

Havn't had much success with redoing the original spring before so not sure if I will replace or respring them? Most likely get lovells springs as well.

The only problem is that only ARB has suspension at the moment, it will take awhlie for the others to catch up.

I took the side steps off straight away, far to low with them on and will cause more harm than good offroad. I am waiting for ARB side steps.
FollowupID: 367266

Follow Up By: normc - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 16:48

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 16:48
Hound,
I was told last week that Koni won't have shocks available for a month or so. Might be wrong though. Koni would be my preference as well.

I think adding leaves to the rear might firm up the ride a bit much. New ones are probably the go

Where are you located? The guy doing my side steps is on the Gold Coast. A bit more expensive than ARB, but super strong. Tied to chassis in 4 places and strong enough to jack off. Round steel tubing 4mm thick (2 pack paint) and checkerplate aluminium steps. A few blokes at the 4WD Club have bent ARB ones, but not (so far) the custom made ones. But of course some of them are nuts!! For 'normal' people, ARB steps are normally OK and look pretty good.

Bugger all accessories available yet. I'm waiting on steel bar, rear protector bar/tow bar, roof console, battery cradle. I've fitted the Carryboy canopy and made my own drawer unit, but that's all so far.
FollowupID: 367274

Reply By: hound - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 19:55

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 19:55
Your right about Koni. But my car is going in on tuesday to be measured by the Koni guys in melbourne and they will choice the right shockers to use.

Have a bullbar on order from ARB. Should be ready in a few weeks. Will wait on the side bars a look at what the ARB one looks like. Looking at putting the largest tyres on I can but may need to wait untill new spring are available.

Not sure when Lovells will have coils or leaf springs yet, would have thought the prado springs would be the same.
AnswerID: 110892

Reply By: time waster - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 06:44

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 06:44
g'day hound,
i also have the new hilux and have noticed how low the front end is went into ARB adelaide and they said 35mm lift in the front springs is all they have got,but have 3 spring strengths. the rear seems to have ok height would i get away with putting the new springs in the exsitig struts? and are they hard to change your self? will going direct to King Springs save money?
AnswerID: 111126

Follow Up By: hound - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 12:02

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 12:02
Not sure how hard it is, should be easy. You will need to check if the original struts have enough length to handle the 35mm lift of the new coil, probably not. I will be going for lovells springs over king after going through all the other posts on this site regarding springs unless anyone else knows of anything better.
FollowupID: 367573

Sponsored Links