cape york road restrictions

Submitted: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 229 Views:2458 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
i am travelling to cape york in early july. would appreciate any information re the closure or openness of the crebs track and also the weipa to telagraph road via stones crossing? thanks in anticipation petermoyle@optusnet.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 00:00
The major cape road conditions are available on RACQs website at http://www.racq.com.au/framesets/0_journey_roadreport.htm I hvaent heard any reports about the CREB track yet, but hopefully Ill have some reports from travellers soon. If your a VKS737 member then give me a call at the Cairns base after 6pm close to when your doing your trip.
AnswerID: 479

Follow Up By: Peter Moyl - Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00
thanks nigel. the racq website does gives plenty of good info. i didnt make my original question very clear. what i am trying to find out, are the two routes open to the public or have the property owners the roads pass through locked the gates to restrict access?
FollowupID: 127

Follow Up By: Kev - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2001 at 00:00
Nigel, We have spoken before about trips to Cape Melville. I see here that you mention a CB club VKS737. Could you advise me what it does and how I can enter.
P.S. is you ever hear anything about the eastern track to Cape Melville could you let me know as we are traveling there late August this year. I've communicated with the rangers and they say that the track is slow but can be done given enough time.
Thanks Kev
FollowupID: 162

Reply By: Tony James - Friday, May 18, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, May 18, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Peter,
I read in either 4X4 Australia or 4WD Monthly 4 or maybe 5 issues ago that the track from Weipa terminates at Stones Crossing. Camping is OK on eiteher side but you cant proceed any further. Rather disappointing because I didnt travel it last time I was up there (1999, lack of time) and planned to do it next trip. The latest Hema map off the Cape shows the road terminates at Stones.
By the way, some friends of mine travelled it in 1998 and said there was a very large deep hole on the Weipa side in the river bed. Over the bonnet stuff.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 503

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Saturday, May 19, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, May 19, 2001 at 00:00
Peter,
Have you checked the Road Conditions on ExplorOz? We use a combination of sources and can offer much more comprehensive info than anywhere else - we check the major sources (eg. RACQ) first, then supplement this info with that received from the 4WD radio network, shire council faxes and direct info received from our readers who have recently been in the area. It is updated a couple of times a week OR at least each Monday. If info is available - we will have it - I assure you! Also, having done the CREB and Stones Crossing personally, I can let you in on a secret - the CREB is never actually "closed", however just one night of heavy rain will make it impassable - it really is a mud slide there. Even in perfect weather you can get an odd wet day so you will just have to plan to go and suss it out on the day. As for the other track, its a well used track and there will be lots of info "on the road" so to speak. Ask around the campgrounds in Cairns, youre bound to find someone with first hand recent (last couple of days to you) info. In general, the grapevine is closer to the truth about conditions than anything publically available by official sources (eg RACQ). They have to be a bit more careful/conservative. Cheers!
AnswerID: 509

Sponsored Links