Cape Trib and crocs

Submitted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 19:29
ThreadID: 22908 Views:1782 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
somebody had to ask I suppose....but are beaches like Thornton and Noah swarming with crocs? Is it safe to have a dip? Beaches look fabulous but.......don't fancy those jaws snapping at my behind. Other beaches? Maybe planning the Cape York trip for next year. Any other recommendations/highlights.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: locallaw - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 19:56

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 19:56
Gidday,If you do you are holding your life in you hands.Crocs range from the tip of the Cape down to just north of Rocky and they are not fussy who they eat.Check with the Rangers to find out where you can swim.Also in the water are a lot of other bities that can kill.In other words stay out of the water and have a good time.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 110895

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 20:55

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 20:55
They do a croc spotting cruise in the mouth of Coopers Creek about 200 metres south of Thornton Beach. Not a good idea to swim at beachers specially near estuaries in the tropics. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 110903

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:43

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:43
yep. I understand they hang around estuaries, particularly, and range from Rocky (and have been found well south of there) up and over the cape and across the top end and down the other side, but, these beaches seem pretty popular, at least those I've mentioned. I wondered if they were sufficiently distant from estuaries or if there was some reason they were safe. I, and I suppose most of us have swam many a time between Rocky and the Cape. The other year I was up at Wonga Beach north of Port Douglas, where we and plenty of others were enjoyed a dip. I suppose I'm asking are there specific areas where it's regarded as safe????? Cheers
AnswerID: 110918

Reply By: lenni - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:53

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 21:53
Hi. I used to live up that way many years ago. Actually now there are more crocs than there were then apparently. No truly ,the saltwater crocodile population is on the increase in the tropics. I have seen crocodiles on beaches in the Territory and Nth Qld.

There are safe places to swim and apart fom the wet season when there are box jellyfish around other bities are not a huge problem. Other jellyfish can be dangerous, however the box jellyfish is the most common, it mainly comes out of rivers and creeks during the wet season and is found along the coastline then.

It would pay to beware of crocodiles though as they often cannot be seen and can also go a long way inland. Designated populated swimming beaches are the best. I know the water is so so beautiful up there, however the more isolated the place the more I would beware of a lurking crocodile!
regards lenni
AnswerID: 110923

Sponsored Links