Firestone Coilrite/Polyair For Challenger

Submitted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 08:35
ThreadID: 22919 Views:1989 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Has anyone installed airbags into the rear springs of a Challenger (coil spring model)? Since I can get them delivered for about $200 less than I can buy them here (see post 22904) I am keen to go this route. However I am a bit unsure about the installation. I have looked at the installation instructions at trucksprings.com, but can not figure out where the airline goes. In the top of spring there is a big rubber stopper thingo (technical term) – does this have to be removed or cutback? It takes up about ½ the spring height. Where does the airline go? Though a hole that you drill in the top of the spring mount or through the spring some how? I would love to hear from anyone with experience.

Thanks
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 11:38

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 11:38
On the surf ( I also bought mine from Trucksprings) I had to remove the Rubber "bump stop" and hacksaw about half of it off. The Airline went through a hole that I drilled in the bottom metal plate that holds the spring in place. Get a decent drill bit from the hardware shop, not a bleep ant cheapo one as it's pretty thick metal.

It's all petty easy and tends to make more sense the further along you go (as you would imagine). If you really are not 100% cofident, just get a mate to help you out, even if he knows no more than you, sometimes having the two heads and four hands makes these jobs easier!;-)

If you can get your hands on a spring compressor it can make the job easier too. I had heavy duty springs already in the beast so they were hard to get out even at full articulation with the panhard rod disconnected.
AnswerID: 110978

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 23:23

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 23:23
You could trade the Challa on an earlier model with leaf springs.
Did I really say that?
Seriously i thought about fitting these things in the hope that it might be able to be inflated at the critical time when I needed some lift. But gave the idea away because no one selling them could say whether I'd get the benefit or not.
Camper
AnswerID: 111110

Sponsored Links