Hilux dual cab rear speaker connections

Submitted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 22:51
ThreadID: 22945 Views:14527 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Can anyone with an SR5 or Hilux dual cab with rear speakers connected tell me where / what the plug configuration is under the front internal panels? To clarify, if you remove the two tringular shaped panels where the front drivers / passengers feet would normally sit their are 3 or 4 plugs. The front speakers are connected to one of them, if anyone with has pulled these off to fit accesories etc and can advise me where to plug in the rear speakers I would greatly appreciate.
My vehicle is a 2003 hilux dual cab 3.0TD. I have already installed the speakers and ran the cable but was stumped when looking at these plugs. Have asked the techs at JB Hi-FI and Strathfield but they have no idea and say that they won't connect rear speakers to a toyota factory head unit? Any help would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 08:18

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 08:18
You most likely have a different radio to an SR-5. Does your radio have a fader control? If not then you won't have any rear speaker wires. This would be why JB refused to wire up your rear speakers.
AnswerID: 111137

Follow Up By: Zep - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 23:41

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 23:41
Yep, its a CD / tuner and it has Fader control. Problem is its a fixed wiring loom that comes straight out the back of the player and disapears away to various locations. I am 100% sure that their are plugs located behind the panels in the front footwells, adjacent to the front speaker plugs, just don't know which one is which as their are several plugs spare with nothing connected to the load side? assume they are standard plugs and looms which would have connected up central locking power windows and rear speakers in an SR5.
If I had stacks of cash I would just upgrade the whole radio but it seems a waste of cash given that I already have a perfectly good head unit with fader.
FollowupID: 367622

Follow Up By: Utemad - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 11:15

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 11:15
If you want to try out the plugs you found. Turn the key to accessories but turn the radio off. Then check all the connections for power. Then turn the radio on and check them for power again. A digital multimeter would pick up something on a speaker line. However you could always just plug a peaker into any that don't have 12v on them. Shouldn't do any harm.
FollowupID: 367638

Reply By: fatz - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 06:37

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 06:37
Zep, not sure if this is of any assistance. Just put some speakers in the back of my base model 100 series. while trying to figure out where I was going to run the wires I pulled the panel off that the seatbelt for the front seat retracts into I found the rear speaker wires in there. They had just not been fed into the rear doors. I'll put money they will be much the same on yours, they tend to make a "base loom" for all vehicles in the range and then just plug in for different models.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 111247

Sponsored Links